Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Nine Clues Redux
07-02-2013, 12:59 PM,
The Nine Clues Redux
Bob Jones,

What happened to your first comment that started this thread? It seems to be missing.

Peacemaker
07-02-2013, 02:00 PM,
The Nine Clues Redux
I think you missed a clue Bob :-)

Steph that's why I'm not helpful with the poem and just have fun because I'm afraid it would be to much....
07-02-2013, 02:43 PM,
The Nine Clues Redux
Lets face reality here people

We probably could share everything and we still would not find it don't you think so

If not then why is it not been found so sharing probably gives nothing away

So share away and I will lurk

Thanks

Oh I don't share because you all would laugh at my locations and think I didn't go to college.

So what I am doing now is just going back to where you all searched and pick it up someday.

So just tell me where you have been about 1 year ago or more and where in that area you did not search but stay within 500 feet of where you searched please.

Thanks

I call this the b laz e solution.
07-02-2013, 03:00 PM,
The Nine Clues Redux

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Tim Nobody on July 2, 2013, 3:43 pm</b>

Oh I don't share because you all would laugh at my locations and think I didn't go to college.
</div>

I'm not sure how "college" matters? That's probably one of the best things I absolutely love about Fenn's TOC Memoir, that a person of his amazing achievement in life managed to be so incredibly successful without some BS piece of paper that implies nothing more than 'he can read' (college diploma).

Also, I think *all* theories should be welcome. Why are we conversing on this site anyway? My answer is so that we can 'give and take', or in many cases just 'take'. I'm not sure laughing at someone's ideas is productive.
07-02-2013, 03:22 PM,
The Nine Clues Redux
Lol Tim! I think you're brilliant personally!!

Hey did y'all know this whole poem follows stories in both the old and New Testament? Oh and there are sites that can be matched from Bible locations to USA locations.

07-02-2013, 04:10 PM,
The Nine Clues Redux
Like a slug crawling along the edge of a razor...

Your post identifies a perfectly viable and reasonable interpretation of where the 9 clues begin and end. It also raises the issue of the complexity of clue bounds vs clue meanings, and this presents an extraordinary range of variables. I respectfully offer a few comments about your clues below. I accept that there are 9 clues in keeping with ff's statements, but that all other words in the poem are valuable as hints or material to help shape the clues.

First stanza: I've noticed that many people feel that the first stanza does not include one of the 9, and quote ff's suggestion of starting with Begin. That's reasonable, but there may be a clue in stanza 1, and "secret where" provides much food for thought.

Second stanza: There being 4 clues in stanza 2 has been supported. Each line could be one clue. But regarding "Not far, but too far to walk", there are other ways to interpret this line.

Third stanza: You are using two lines apiece for each clue in stanza 3, so you are getting 2 clues there instead of 3 or 4. This is how the huge variable in clue bounds/meaning kicks in. You could have multiple interpretations and meanings of the clues depending upon the bounds of the text you are actually identifying as specific clues. "The end is ever drawing nigh" could be a non-clue if we think of it as the end getting nearer, which goes without saying if you are pursuing the chest. But perhaps this is a specific clue, that could be referring to the left side, or we could interpret the use of the word "drawing", and so on. Whether it is a clue or not depends on the meanings you need for your solution to work. But since you identify only 2 clues in stanza 3, you are now in search of 3 more clues further on in the poem.

Fourth stanza: Your comment about the whole 4th stanza being one clue is possible, although the phrase "look quickly down" may be more relevant than just looking down quickly. "If you've been wise and found the blaze, Look quickly down," could easily be 1 or 2 clues, depending upon your analysis. It's possible to parse out "you've been wise" as a clue to the blaze as well.

Fifth stanza: In the fifth stanza ff is talking about why he must do this, and it reads like it should be the 1st stanza in the poem. Did I say that? There may or may not be one of the nine here, but if you do see one or more clues here, then it's nudging others, which you have to manage. Your logic is reasonable.

Sixth stanza: The sixth stanza is perhaps the great mystery stanza. If, for instance, your 9 hard clues were identified with 4 clues in stanza 2 and 4 clues in stanza 3, with the blaze as the 9th, then stanza 6 doesn't get one of the 9. But "Your effort" and "brave and in the wood" are just so sexy. "Your effort" could be talking about the cold bronze reward, or something essential about another experience of cold. "Brave and in the wood" could simply mean that you're brave to be out there in the wild woods, or a specific clue. Interpretations abound. And since ff is telling you to "listen good", how can we not listen to this stanza closely? Or is ff telling you, in retrospect, to listen to everything he has already said in the poem above, and just summing up the chase? I do agree with you that ff is slapping us upside and telling us to wake up with "listen good" here.

Horror: Your approach to identifying "bounds of the 9" clues first without interpretation is a worthwhile exercise. I would suggest doing the exact opposite approach and see where that leads you. And continue to enjoy the horror of a million other approaches...

Oh, and by the way, I don't care about the gold. Therefore I'll be limiting my searches to Idaho and Utah from now on.

-sincerely yours and 42lbsHeavier,

Halogetter

07-02-2013, 04:36 PM,
The Nine Clues Redux
@Halogetter---Thanks for the thoughtful response. I know that the possibilities are nearly endless, and was wondering what other people thought. Or I guess, what they would share.

@Tim Nobody--I agree. There are two search locales that are really possible as the 500 ft. spots. And have been mentioned in blogs and emails and Forrest himself has responded to these two spots, all within a specific time frame.

All I know is that Forrest spoke of dementia when this was being conjured up. And I think it is a perfect case study for how to instill on-set dementia. : ) Perhaps psychologists can use this experiment as a case study and will cure the disease before any one of us finds the treasure. Lolz.

Now let me be hypothetical for a minute... If this poem was written by a person in a state of dementia, and the person "comes to" afterwards, having overcome the symptoms, the patient will remember how it made sense while in that altered state, and will save the illogical logic as something that would make sense to someone else, because it makes sense to them, when in fact, as it was born in a demented state, only the person who created it would understand. Ever been drunk or stoned or higher and found something to be hysterical? Something ludicrous that makes sense at the time? Then later upon reflection, it is only funny to the people who experienced the joke? And after some more time, it loses it's qualia of humor even to them, as the original spark of creativity is lost in logic, and they ask, "Why was that so funny?" Right brain vs. Left brain. The epic battle. And that's where the treasure lies. Smack dab in the middle of....... : )

07-02-2013, 05:13 PM,
The Nine Clues Redux
Hi All, If we take the poem at face value, two things stand out for me. #1 "go in peace" Who or what would prevent us from doing otherwise? No one obviously. #2 "I give you title" The finder doesn't need title to anything.
07-02-2013, 05:22 PM,
The Nine Clues Redux
Ahhhh I love this deep thinking!
07-02-2013, 05:49 PM,
The Nine Clues Redux
Bob Jones,

What happened to your first comment that started this thread? It seems to be missing.

Peacemaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  H.L. Mencken Redux Beavertooth 16 3,421 02-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Last Post: monkeyking