Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
choice of words
07-12-2013, 02:59 PM,
choice of words
There are a lot of words ff used in his poem which are throwing me off. For example, why are you wise, why are you brave, why will you look quickly, why is it warm waters halt not warm water halts, etc.

1. The owl is wise or the old man is wise. If you are looking from an aerial view this would make you wise like an owl. If wise is meant indicate you are an owl then read number 2

2. Brave is a bear. Brave is an Indian. Should we look in a bear den? Should we search where an Indian would be in the wood? If the association is to an Indian, wouldn't this suggest it is on or near a Pueblo or reservation......hmmm

3. Why am I to look quickly? Will I miss it if I look slowly? Or is he just suggesting to look fast and get the heck out of there. Am I to be in danger if I hang out and tarry scant or marvel gaze?

4. There is no rhyme with walk in this stanza. Are we referring to more that one water halting? Does this have to do with FF's good friend Frank?

I know that these aren't really considered to be a huge part of the nine clues but I think it's something of merit?
07-12-2013, 03:06 PM,
choice of words
Hi, number one, the owl is a petrogh,2. Brave is a Pueblo Indian from the Bandelier National Forest, 3. its on an Indian Reservation, you must take it and go, you are looking at the Rio Grande River in the Canyon, it is beautiful, 4. the warm waters stop at the Soda Canyon on the Rio Grande
07-13-2013, 12:58 AM,
choice of words
DNA, everything you mention is important. Every word in the poem is critical. I have given many examples of how easy it would be to change just a word here and there and keep the poem in proper meter, match up a rhyme perfectly, or simply use different words to say basically the same thing. Every "imperfection" in the poem is deliberate, and needs to be written exactly as it is or the clues don't work right.

All of your thoughts are good, none of us can really say which is the right interpretation yet, don't throw anything out. If you find yourself saying "Oh that's just silly. It can't be that.." don't cross it off the list, just move it to the bottom. Jumble all your ideas together, see if anything matches up, and when something does, well get out there and check!
07-13-2013, 02:44 PM,
choice of words
In his book he says, "Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead". Who is dead? Is it his father? Is it a close personal friend? I believe it is a friend only because this chest was secreted many years after his father passed. I don't believe ff had intended on doing ttotc until after he was diagnosed with cancer and recovered. Secondly, he didn't hide the chest until 2010 after he had many years to author this poem.
07-13-2013, 10:40 PM,
choice of words
I think he discussed his hidey hole with someone who has passed away, a good friend. Perhaps a "whoever outlives the other" type of agreement to hide a big treasure? There's not much more intriguing and romantic than buried treasure. The autobiography inside the olive jar will shed some light on "The answer I already know".
07-14-2013, 10:07 PM,
choice of words
tomwhat,

Just as a curiosity, where do you reside?

You have very interesting thoughts. I have been on about 13 hunts as I live in the Albuquerque area and Taos area has been at the top of my list. How far do you believe is too far to walk? Do you believe it is merely a consequence of terrain or more of linear distance?

I agree with the outlive comment wholeheartedly. I do not believe it was his father. If it was his father, then I am in the wrong area.

07-15-2013, 02:54 AM,
choice of words
Regarding the comment about keeping a secret between two people: If I have a secret, it is a secret. If I tell someone else, is it still a secret? Answer is no. A secret is only a secret, if you tell no one else. Beyond that it is considered common knowledge that anyone can act on. So does Forrest's comment make sense? Of course it does. If you wish to challenge this reasoning, be my guest.
07-15-2013, 03:00 AM,
choice of words
Everyone should watch Dal's latest interviews with Forrest. It will give you some powerful insight into his used of words. That should answer everyone's questions why Forrest used words in the poem as he did.
07-16-2013, 11:43 AM,
choice of words
Hey thanks DNA. Portland, Oregon. I try to share the Big Ideas that got me in the frame of mind to nail down my top spots. To Far to Walk is quite possibly more than 91 miles; Forrest has a story about walking from Bozeman to West Yellowstone which he said was possibly the best trip he ever took. So that distance is not too far to walk, too far would be longer. My #1 spot has Where Warm Waters Halt about 100 miles from Home of Brown.
07-21-2013, 07:02 PM,
choice of words
Why did FF say more than 8.25 mile north of Santa Fe? I have not been able to locate the actual interview or literature that said this? What was the significance of 8.25? Why not 20? 10? It just seems to me to be a subtle hint.