Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The first chapter
03-06-2015, 10:12 AM,
The first chapter
I'll take a different direction on this then.

I find it interesting in a book where he "wants his grandkids to know more about him" starts off with a chapter that in summary says: I written this many books and not one sells outside of New Mexico (generalizing) but these two guys write bad books that aren't long at all and they're required reading in school?

Forrest Fenn snarky? Maybe so, but you have to admit he does bring up the fact he never went to college A LOT!

No proof the treasure doesn't exist? Well, there isn't any proof it does either (and I'm talking about evidence that can stand up in court proof, not hearse). So we can go around in circles with that.

Again, why start the book with THAT chapter? Seems odd. And those Fenn lovers that will come back and say he likes to stray from the norm I saw that's just a cop out. But this is all my opinion.

This post is for a open discussion on why start off your legacy with that chapter?

03-06-2015, 10:20 AM,
The first chapter
Maybe it's a hint?
03-06-2015, 10:29 AM,
The first chapter
Maybe this is where titles comes in? You don't have to have a college degree to specialize in a field. Forrest don't have a archaeology degree but probably knows more than most. Maybe he called out the two books to open your mind to perspective on a topic, glass is either half empty or half full

I see your point
03-06-2015, 10:41 AM,
The first chapter
The book was written to popularize the chase. He included the poem, but that was already published elsewhere. So to encourage sales he also said some subtle hints were included in the book. My own take on it is that his quirky and somewhat snarky and yet self-deprecating writing style is deliberate. He tells us to look for something that stands out, then writes a book full of oddball stories and weird turns of phrase that all stand out like sore thumbs. As a result, there probably isn't a page in TTOTC that someone, somewhere doesn't think they see a hint on, right down to the colophon. It is really brilliant marketing amazingly well executed. Don't waste your time over analyzing it. All you really need is the poem. The book was not actually designed to help you solve the poem. I actually believe the book was designed to do just the opposite, so the treasure would have a chance of staying hidden for the 1000+ years he said he hoped it would. I see the book as a whole as an anti-clue that gets people worked up about all kinds of things except the poem, and sends them off on wild goose chases.

mdavis19
03-06-2015, 11:38 AM,
The first chapter
I agree with you mdavis19, TTOTC is more of a destraction than help.
03-06-2015, 12:02 PM,
The first chapter
I think that point appilies bettter to the SB's at least we have been told there are some hints in the book.
03-06-2015, 12:06 PM,
The first chapter
Maybe I missed the real first chapter because the one I read makes perfect sense to start the book with. He describes a couple of books, says he can do better, should write his own biography, then proceeds to write chapters on his life.

If he started the book with no intro about why he's writing it, then it would be weird.
03-06-2015, 12:14 PM,
The first chapter
The question is why did he put the intro on page15?
03-06-2015, 12:20 PM,
The first chapter
But are they really hints or places in the books that just touch on were the chest may be ?? not giving us any true hints, each and every book and topic? every word that comes out of his mouth can't be a hint?
03-06-2015, 12:21 PM,
The first chapter
FFSeeker...I'm in agreement...I love first chapters of Mystery Novels and the first 10 minutes of Mystery Shows/movies. I challenge myself to find that word or phrase in a book or that comment or look in a show that helps me solve it before the end chapter.

Chapter One of TTOTC is no different. Rather than my being critical of the content...I look to utilize what he has written. Everything, every word has a purpose and yes, you never know what you will find in the "trash". Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TTOTC chapter, "Bessie and Me" trueyeti 0 663 02-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: trueyeti
  TTOTC chapter, “Me in the Middle” trueyeti 2 1,350 02-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Last Post: crazyfamily
  Each Chapter in TTOTC Hammertime 6 2,917 08-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Last Post: John Brown
  Themes for each Chapter (TTOTC) filmguy 0 1,294 03-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Last Post: filmguy
  My Book Preview: Preface and Chapter 1 Iron Will 9 5,105 09-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Iron Will