Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Poem Purists are from the Devil!
05-11-2015, 03:32 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from mdavis19 on May 11, 2015, 4:07 pm</b>

Good luck with that. You might as well be hammering on a granite slab with a rubber mallet.
</div>

Don't you dare compare yourself to Granite Man. A fraud by any other name stinks like hell.

Punk.

05-11-2015, 05:18 PM,
I'm just a guy in a saloon who saw a punch thrown and now I'm throwing chairs at people but I don't know why?

I guess it's because bar fights are fun. Big Grin
05-11-2015, 05:53 PM,
Bartender, a bottle of rye for the house. Be sure Black Bart gets a shot.

05-11-2015, 06:11 PM,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVWTeXzgkJE
05-12-2015, 05:27 AM,
Plasma, you know the old saying - "Who's the real fool? The fool, or the fool who follows him"

But you should Lighten up, at this rate you might spontaneously ignite into a plasma ball.

05-12-2015, 05:35 AM,

<b>Quote from Halogetter on May 11, 2015, 4:31 pm</b>

Am I a poem purist?

I think, and do extensive research and organize it in multiple formats, follow every kind of lead that appears logical or potentially helpful to my quest, I have read Fenn's books and other books, have had 130 year-old books sent from distant libraries, translated non-English text, I scour the web, study both real and imagined maps, read the worthy views and insights of others and simultaneously suffer inane and self-absorbed posts by certain special snowflakes, post a few thoughts, walk and observe intently in the Rockies, and essentially and otherwise do anything under the sun that feels right to me in discovering a pure understanding of the poem.

But still I spend far more time with the poem alone, either on paper or in seeing every word in my mind, than all that other stuff. The poem is the touchstone, and all other sources must go through it.

And there is a philosophy that has been stated by others and myself, that nothing outside of the poem is a prerequisite for solving it correctly. For example, if something in the entire universe of knowledge outside the poem is useful with your understanding of the poem, then you may be making progress. But if you absolutely require a particular chapter in TTOTC or part of a SB, for example, to construct your solution, then you have an artificial foundation to your solution.

I believe that all of Forrest's comments, despite a range of reasonable contradictions to be expected in any elderly person's ongoing statements over time, support this.

The poem purists may not be from the devil, but the devil is in the details. "You need to be detective, scientist, artist all in one." And perhaps an architect, poet, fly fisherman and <i>good listener</i> as well.

It's your thing, do what you wanna do. I can't tell you, who to sock it to...

Halogetter
</div>

Your view of the use of information form TTOTC or Scrapbooks as a foundation for a solution parallels mine.

Whenever I get an idea about a solution to the poem, my first step is to honestly decide if the idea is based on something that was derived from my reading of TTOTC or scrapbooks. I reject out of hand any solution that is based on information from TTOTC and scrapbooks. The next step is to print out a copy of the poem, and start marking it up. I map out my solution on the poem itself, in the margins and above and below the various words. I find it a useful way to see if my ideas actually fit into the poem, or have to be force-fit into it. Force-fitting is grounds for rejection. If a solution seems to elegantly fit into the poem, only then do the reference books, maps, Google Earth, etc., come into play. I add more notes to the poem page as I research the potential solution. Research often results in a solution being abandoned as unlikely or unworkable. A few solutions are sufficiently promising to warrant actual boots on the ground reconnaissance. I have a binder full of my marked up poem pages. I keep all of them, failed and plausible. The amount of research that has gone into that binder over the years is staggering. It is becoming a reference work in its own right.

That is your glimpse into the inner workings of a poem purist.

mdavis19
05-12-2015, 09:53 AM,
^ Sounds uneventful.

Howdy, Mister.
05-12-2015, 12:43 PM,

<b>Quote from mdavis19 on May 12, 2015, 6:35 am</b>

That is your glimpse into the inner workings of a poem purist.mdavis19
</div>

Davis, your elegant solutions may shine like a newly silvered mirror but they’re cold and mechanical and devoid of life and soul.

When you reject sources like TTOTC and his web postings you’re rejecting the human being that was and is Forrest Fenn; you’re dismissing the unique human being that created this amazing treasure search.

When I use these same sources, I’m doing a mind-meld with the man, digging into the fears and joys of 80 years of eventful living. He put himself into that poem and into that chest and I know that by trespassing into this property, which he expects us to do, I will find those events that he writes of in the poem and make them part of my search. They’re not cyphers or tricks; they’re painful, joyful memories that require empathy and persistence to uncover. Damn the Andromedas, Davis, take a portrait of you.

05-12-2015, 01:05 PM,
Thanks for the advice, but I am going to stick with my method for the time being.

mdavis19
02-08-2016, 09:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2016, 09:57 PM by liv42dy.)
RE: Poem Purists are from the Devil!
(05-10-2015, 10:24 AM)Larsonist Wrote: There has been a nauseatingly silly misnomer floating through the fog of the blog for a while now that is simply too silly and immature to ignore. It has a heart of darkness and a soul of elitist self-righteousness that is used in the manner that many titles of elevation are used to separate the fit from the unfit.

Calling yourselves poem purists doesn’t make you any more likely to find the treasure or gain a special place in the heart of Saint Forrest. No one, save your pure band of brothers, respects you for using it. Currying favor and rank in this manner makes me puke.

You haven’t accomplished anything more than we the impure have, and probably much less, so your self-titling anointment is a hollow exercise in treasure-finding beatification. Get real, Saint Purist, you’re merely the patron to a team of sled dogs that are very comfortable with the sight of your north-bound south end.

The fact that you’re here on this blog is prima facie evidence of your non-purist habits. Admit it; you’re not here to exchange banana bread recipes. You’re here to suck as much blood as you can from the bodies of the masses. You are just as predatory as any wolf of Wall Street and I know for a fact that you relax with a cigarette after posting.

So there you go, my purist friends. You have been rounded up and branded. A large red P is burned onto your foreheads, a permanent blaze that can be followed by all the barking purists to come. There is no redemption. And for you there will be no treasure. Your kingly clothes are figments of your ego and you stand exposed as phonies and pretenders. You are hereby chastised, shamed, and berated.

Impurists, saddle up! Follow me! Gold awaits us! Hiyo Silver, away!

Larsonist,

Such big unnecessary words to prove such a pointless impurity such as yours.
What the "@&$) was that?
Clueless

Go with that.

No doubt, you do like to hear yourself talk, or blog that is.
Unreal.

Liv42dy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Devil Dog In My Car, Thank You!! Gordon Lightfoot 19 1,562 02-17-2019, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  Poem Purists Camps Sakar 18 3,913 08-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Last Post: fundamental design
  Non poem purists got it wrong. liv42dy 14 7,316 02-08-2016, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Hammertime
  A picture to ponder...don't read, poem purists! Mindy 16 10,605 09-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Chris Yates