Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native American
05-12-2015, 12:19 PM,
Native American
Does anyone here collect or deal in Native American artifacts, paintings etc.? Really try to avoid grave goods or anything that is demeaning to the culture.

Are you coming across a lot of authentic arrowheads looking like this?

[Image: vsl43k.jpg]

Or have you come across any really good Native American artists like Karen Noles?

[Image: r1j13d.jpg]
05-12-2015, 12:44 PM,
Native American
Meant KarenSmile Painting folds in clothes are super hard. Karen needs to avoid the cute effect, other than that her pieces could end up in museums.

On the arrowheads. If you notice bottom row #4 2 slant cuts, walk away from the collection. Modern day cheap knock offs.

05-12-2015, 12:48 PM,
Native American
Lots of people out there flint knapping now. I am sure there are people out there trying to pass them off as artifact.

My husband is learning to knapp. He took one of his projects to work and some guy who has a degree in archaeology thought it was real. Art laughed and told him it will be in a few thousand years.

Shhh they aren't listening.
05-12-2015, 12:58 PM,
Native American
[Image: 2ecdisz.jpg]

Fenn is right about when you see a banana grab it...............Let a small 35 1863-65 star flag that a Native American had turn into a pouch go to easy.

The pouch was used by a Native American friendly to the Union.

The bidding went up to $450 and I should have realized while the flag is rare, what the Native had done made it even more rare.

Live and learnSmile

Probably in the $1500 to $2500 range. Outside of money, very hard piece to find.............
05-12-2015, 01:04 PM,
Native American

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from deb on May 12, 2015, 1:48 pm</b>

Lots of people out there flint knapping now. I am sure there are people out there trying to pass them off as artifact.

My husband is learning to knapp. He took one of his projects to work and some guy who has a degree in archaeology thought it was real. Art laughed and told him it will be in a few thousand years.
</div>

Your right, buyer beware. Actually believe a lot of collections have knock offs. What is a acceptable level?

There's a test that a museum can do which would knock about 90% of the fakes.

Most museums aren't going to do this for the general public.
05-12-2015, 01:57 PM,
Native American
My wife's grandfathers atlatl tips

[Image: d0e20-image.jpg]

[Image: b15ie-image.jpg]
05-12-2015, 02:11 PM,
Native American
I'm pretty sure the few points I have are real - I found them in Missouri creeks. I've seen some real beauties that others have found, some on the day they found them.
05-12-2015, 02:53 PM,
Native American

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Ricky Nowak on May 12, 2015, 1:19 pm</b>

Does anyone here collect or deal in Native American artifacts, paintings etc.? Really try to avoid grave goods or anything that is demeaning to the culture.

Are you coming across a lot of authentic arrowheads looking like this?

[Image: vsl43k.jpg]

Or have you come across any really good Native American artists like Karen Noles?

[Image: r1j13d.jpg]
</div>

Hey Rick have you read 1491?
05-12-2015, 04:01 PM,
Native American
I'll second the suggestion to read the book "1491"
05-12-2015, 05:22 PM,
Native American
Thanks guys I will have to check into 1491Smile

@ Stephanie That one piece looks like a Cumberland Clovis point, bottom row #4. Without knowing where these came from (possibly Alabama) and who your dealing with you, you run a higher risks acquiring these pieces.

Would need to spend 3 hours just checking out each piece and trying to turn the odds better in my favor before I made a possible purchase.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fake Native Am. Art Buddy Allen 3 1,858 03-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Seeker9
  If Forrest Fenn was a Native American… Daniel A 2 1,733 04-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Daniel A
  I'm proud to be an American Chris Yates 3 2,071 11-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Buddy Allen
  Ricks American Cafe Ricky Nowak 19 4,988 05-22-2015, 06:04 AM
Last Post: old drum