Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Anyone Seen Forrest and Peggy Fenn Collection ?
07-26-2013, 12:05 PM,

Below is a link to the

Forrest and Peggy Fenn Native American Collection

http://www.splendidheritage.com/TitlePag...ePage.html

"Introduction to the Fenn Collection

The Forrest and Peggy Fenn collection of Native American artifacts is a mixed bag for sure. Most of the objects are those that are indigenous to the areas where they grew up. Forrest remembers his grandmother telling him about pressing her nose against the window as she watched Kiowa and Comanche Indians run through their barnyard near Ft. Worth, Texas, trying to catch chickens, and her father telling her to “leave them alone. If they can catch the chickens, they can have them.” Those stories thrilled Forrest, so the collection may be a little top-heavy with Southern Plains material."

08-07-2013, 04:42 PM,
Oh man the Fenn Cache is great. Didn't he say it was found on/near the border of 3 states - i think Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Of course that was before it was illegal to pick stuff up off the ground and preserve it so all could benefit.
08-07-2013, 10:24 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from JohnRicko on August 7, 2013, 5:42 pm</b>

Oh man the Fenn Cache is great. Didn't he say it was found on/near the border of 3 states - i think Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Of course that was before it was illegal to pick stuff up off the ground and preserve it so all could benefit.
</div>

Forrest bought the Fenn Cache and it has been told that it was found in a cave but I don't think anybody knows today where that cave was. This to me was always an interesting story and wondered if it has anything to do with TOTC? Maybe he found out where that is and placed the chest there, it certainly would be a special place since the Cache is one of his prized collection.

Either the Cache or Sitting Bulls Pipe might have some connection maybe?
08-07-2013, 11:38 PM,
Exactly Mr. Nobody. The Fenn Cache is great. I wonder who he bought it from? Can't seem to find that out... You having any luck?

08-08-2013, 02:18 PM,
How does a culturally valuable collection like this enter into the world without provenance? I thought all that stuff had to be shown exactly where it came from.

Also, if you found a cache like this, how could you not go back to the place where it was found, if only for old time's sake? Believe me, if I find the Chest that is my new special place for sure.
08-08-2013, 03:01 PM,

<b>Quote from tomwhat on August 8, 2013, 3:18 pm</b>

How does a culturally valuable collection like this enter into the world without provenance? I thought all that stuff had to be shown exactly where it came from.

Also, if you found a cache like this, how could you not go back to the place where it was found, if only for old time's sake? Believe me, if I find the Chest that is my new special place for sure.
</div>

Well I think the Cache was found in 1902 either in a cave or uncovered in a field

So it may have been in private hands before any kind of antiquities law was in effect

and then it was sold to forrest like in 1988 I think or there abouts

So having been found so long ago I think whoever found it probably passed away and

the chain of custody or knowledge of it was lost.

08-08-2013, 04:07 PM,
Quite the pretty collection.

http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-page...epage1.htm

THE FENN CACHE

CLOVIS CULTURE

BORDER AREA OF UTAH, IDAHO OR WYOMING
08-09-2013, 01:29 PM,
Thank you Tim!

"In 1988, 56 flaked stone artifacts attached to a large wood frame with heavy copper wire were acquired by Forrest Fenn in Santa Fe, New Mexico."
<hr class="bbcode_rule" />
1999, George Frison & Bruce Bradley, "The Fenn Cache: Clovis Weapons & Tools" p. 22.
</div>

I thought it was <i>found </i>in 1988 and purchased by Forrest shortly after. I admit I haven't read closely yet, it's still in the "To Be Researched" heap.

"The exact location of its discovery (the Fenn cache) is not known, but apparently came from the general area where Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah meet."
1999, George Frison, "The Late Pleistocene Prehistory of the Northwestern Plains, the Adjacent mountains, and Intermontane Basins," The Ice Age Peoples Of North America, Environments, Origins, and Adaptations, p. 272-273.
</div>

We know the chest is not in Utah or Idaho, guess where I will focus my next Chase research?
08-09-2013, 02:01 PM,

<b>Quote from tomwhat on August 9, 2013, 2:29 pm</b>

Thank you Tim!

<div class="bbcode_quote">
"In 1988, 56 flaked stone artifacts attached to a large wood frame with heavy copper wire were acquired by Forrest Fenn in Santa Fe, New Mexico."
1999, George Frison & Bruce Bradley, "The Fenn Cache: Clovis Weapons & Tools" p. 22.
</div>

I thought it was <i>found </i>in 1988 and purchased by Forrest shortly after. I admit I haven't read closely yet, it's still in the "To Be Researched" heap.

"The exact location of its discovery (the Fenn cache) is not known, but apparently came from the general area where Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah meet."
1999, George Frison, "The Late Pleistocene Prehistory of the Northwestern Plains, the Adjacent mountains, and Intermontane Basins," The Ice Age Peoples Of North America, Environments, Origins, and Adaptations, p. 272-273.
</div>

We know the chest is not in Utah or Idaho, guess where I will focus my next Chase research?</div>
</div>

I thought you where for only Yellowstone, stay in the park because I don't think it is there maybe and I'm a lousy kisser.
08-10-2013, 02:23 AM,
Oh I'm a Yellowstone guy this year for sure. But I'm so confident of my few spots that if I don't find it where I'm looking then I'll know it's not in the park. Over winter I will expand my search area and head out next year.