Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bronze Chest Facts or non-Facts?
07-26-2013, 02:07 PM,
I wasn't sure where to put this, so it ended up here. Wink

I was doing some thinking about the object of our search, i.e. the chest and its contents and I know this has been discussed before, but why does Forrest consistently describe the chest incorrectly? You know, saying it has dancing girls on it or something like that. I can only speculate that he wants to draw our attention to either what is actually depicted on the chest or to get us to wonder more about dancing girls (which some have compared to the story in the book with the gypsies).

From looking at the chest, it's pretty clear that it shows a castle of some kind on the top and sides, and figures with ladders. Several people have speculated that these are soldiers storming a castle, and it may be. It may also be peasants or workers constructing the castle.

Forrest says the chest is from the mid 11th Century (around 1050 AD). This corresponds with a sort of castle-building boom by William the Conqueror in England of what are called the "Motte and Bailey" castles. The earliest motte in England dates to 1051 AD. While William the Conqueror was pretty popular early on, the final two years of his reign up to his death in 1068 AD he was faced constant with rebellions throughout his kingdom, which was the driving force behind the building of the castles for protection. So both construction of a castle and/or the storming of a castle seem to fit with the design on the chest.

Forrest also stated that the chest may have contained a "book of days" which is a record of noteworthy events for each day of the year and one would think that the design of the chest was probably inspired by an event of some kind as well.

If this is a non-clue, why would Forrest, who is pretty accurate in the recording of detail of artifacts, make this "mistake" and never correct it unless it's deliberate? And what, if anything, can this lead us to? It's a head-scratcher.

Forrest said that it was a "perfect treasure chest" (sic) but aside from its obvious form and function, could the designs on it have also been "perfect" in connection to the hiding spot or poem?

I'd love to hear some thoughts. Thx. Smile
07-26-2013, 03:09 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from peacemakerol on July 26, 2013, 3:07 pm</b>

I wasn't sure where to put this, so it ended up here. Wink

I was doing some thinking about the object of our search, i.e. the chest and its contents and I know this has been discussed before, but why does Forrest consistently describe the chest incorrectly? You know, saying it has dancing girls on it or something like that. I can only speculate that he wants to draw our attention to either what is actually depicted on the chest or to get us to wonder more about dancing girls (which some have compared to the story in the book with the gypsies).

From looking at the chest, it's pretty clear that it shows a castle of some kind on the top and sides, and figures with ladders. Several people have speculated that these are soldiers storming a castle, and it may be. It may also be peasants or workers constructing the castle.

Forrest says the chest is from the mid 11th Century (around 1050 AD). This corresponds with a sort of castle-building boom by William the Conqueror in England of what are called the "Motte and Bailey" castles. The earliest motte in England dates to 1051 AD. While William the Conqueror was pretty popular early on, the final two years of his reign up to his death in 1068 AD he was faced constant with rebellions throughout his kingdom, which was the driving force behind the building of the castles for protection. So both construction of a castle and/or the storming of a castle seem to fit with the design on the chest.

Forrest also stated that the chest may have contained a "book of days" which is a record of noteworthy events for each day of the year and one would think that the design of the chest was probably inspired by an event of some kind as well.

If this is a non-clue, why would Forrest, who is pretty accurate in the recording of detail of artifacts, make this "mistake" and never correct it unless it's deliberate? And what, if anything, can this lead us to? It's a head-scratcher.

Forrest said that it was a "perfect treasure chest" (sic) but aside from its obvious form and function, could the designs on it have also been "perfect" in connection to the hiding spot or poem?

I'd love to hear some thoughts. Thx. Smile
</div>

You are correct,he is giving a clue.

Actually it is a pretty difficult clue because it is archaic,slang and only used by certain groups.

Good luck with it because it is a good clue.
07-26-2013, 04:47 PM,
Thanks, KIA.

I'll keep digging around and see what I find.
07-26-2013, 05:35 PM,
Thank for bringing it up, Peacemaker. I actually hadn't put much thought into the chest itself. Actually, a castle works well into my solve.

I appreciate all your posts and thoughts. Have a great weekend! Luckydog
07-26-2013, 08:03 PM,
I replied to your post over on my thread - I've also added a comment on the religious nature of the images, the attackers in their robes look like priests so if the box contained a bible it could be about defending a faith. The creature on the claps looks like a demon or gargoyle which would fit with warding off evil spirits. I think working out what's going on with his description of the chest is critical - as you say this is the object everyone is looking for and yet it doesn't match with his description.
07-30-2013, 02:01 PM,
Don't ignore any chest or chest-like object you stumble on when you're out on the hunt. Keep an open mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My list of FF Facts. USMC1989 0 5,038 08-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Last Post: USMC1989
  Shauns Forrest Facts list 9 6,819 06-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Last Post: tomwhat