Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fenn Galleries LTD
07-30-2013, 02:41 PM,
Fenn Galleries LTD
Does anyone know if back in the day Forrest's gallery dealt in prints by famous photographers? Like maybe Ansel Adams or Dorothea Lange, etc?

mdavis19
08-01-2013, 03:54 PM,
Fenn Galleries LTD
I imagine he would have. We know he openly dealt in "reproductions" of famous artists if there was money to be made.
08-01-2013, 07:44 PM,
Fenn Galleries LTD

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from tomwhat on August 1, 2013, 4:54 pm</b>

I imagine he would have. We know he openly dealt in "reproductions" of famous artists if there was money to be made.
</div>

Photographic prints are by definition reproductions. Photography artists make their money by selling limited edition printings from their negatives (or raw digital files these days). The most scenic areas of the west were photographed by famous photographers in the early part of the last century. Their prints could command a lot of money by the time Forrest was running his gallery (they can command even more today). My logic here is that if Forrest had such prints hanging on the walls of his gallery, they may have influenced his thinking on where to hide the treasure. Maybe a little far-fetched, but it was an idea I had.

mdavis19
08-01-2013, 09:04 PM,
Fenn Galleries LTD
Good point Mdavis19 but until we hear from someone that had been there to confirm that he sold photographs when he owned the gallery I think you may be quessing that, We do know he sold paintings by famous artist and some fake paintings since f talks about them, I also read where he also sold bronze art pieces, so paintings and or bronze art would be more likeky I am thinking maybe. Is there any older pictures of the gallery maybe that shows those photos on the wall to help confirm your idea.
08-02-2013, 01:59 PM,
Fenn Galleries LTD
I searched eBay for signed Ansel Adams photos. They go for a few thousand dollars. I know Forrest brags about closing a deal for a single painting where he made more than his father's house cost, but it's reasonable that he might have sold a few and made a easy grand each. Gotta have something for everyone's budget. Maybe he got a dozen in an estate sale and sold them piecemeal. I don't know, but it's certainly reasonable.

What's the reason behind the original question, mdavis19?
08-02-2013, 03:51 PM,
Fenn Galleries LTD

<b>Quote from tomwhat on August 2, 2013, 2:59 pm</b>

What's the reason behind the original question, mdavis19?
</div>

See my earlier post. I am trying to get into Forrest's mind. Also, there are lots of things that have gotten lost in the west. Forrest Fenn's treasure is not the first I have hunted. I got a tenuous whiff of a possible connection between another mystery that has long fascinated me and Forrest's treasure. If he could have found where this other thing is located, he might have decided that since it took so long for anyone to find it, it would be a good place to hide his treasure, and maybe later his bones too. The connection between the two mysteries could be certain photos by a certain famous artist. If Forrest contemplated them them in any depth, they may have given him ideas. Can't say more without giving away too much. It is a long shot, but all searches are. Just one of many angles I am investigating. I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket.

mdavis19
08-03-2013, 02:11 AM,
Fenn Galleries LTD
Gaaahhh, I have a feint memory of a photo I stumbled across from back in my very early days of research before I started obsessively writing every detail of crazy notion down. I came across that photo and thought tied into part of the poem quite nicely. I looked up this Fenn character, saw he was an "art dealer" not a "photographer", discarded it and moved on. Can't now remember even a fragment.

A post like yours would make me re-examine my notes and why I cast it aside. But now my mind is littered with so many dead ends since then it's like putting the smoke back in the candle.

Most certainly a different photo, artist, subject and time period than mine. Good luck. Perhaps email Forrest and ask?
08-03-2013, 06:14 AM,
Fenn Galleries LTD

<b>Quote from tomwhat on August 3, 2013, 3:11 am</b>

Perhaps email Forrest and ask?
</div>

I thought of that, and almost did it several times. Should have done it up front. I could have framed an innocent sounding inquiry that might have gotten some sort of useful response. I think it is too late now. I believe Stephanie has said that Forrest reads these threads. Now it would just be giving Forest a prime opportunity to play word games with me and screw with my head. Especially if I am at all close to the truth. He wouldn't tell me anything that would give me any sort of advantage anyway.

Good idea about writing stuff down. I need to start a chase notebook. I have found myself revisiting old, discarded ideas and not remembering all the details I had unearthed previously.

mdavis19
08-03-2013, 07:57 AM,
Fenn Galleries LTD
Stephanie,

Thanks for posting that. Looks like the Gallery is still for sale. I'll be in Santa Fe again in October. I'll try to visit the gallery. I'd like to see the Shinoni Foundry too. Have you been there?

I would be very surprised if he didn't sell photographic prints. He wouldn't have made a big payday off of them like the one in "Father on the banco," but I'll bet lots of small sales each week were the bread & butter of his gallery with the occasional big payday thrown in. That's the way most businesses work.

mdavis19
08-03-2013, 09:46 AM,
Fenn Galleries LTD

<b>Quote from admin on August 3, 2013, 9:41 am</b>

I couldn't find it...so here it is. Even if it's not your spot...it's a fun look see.

</div>
It is cool stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fenn Galleries Hammertime 3 1,969 12-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth