Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyway - the rule of thumb
08-02-2013, 06:38 AM,
So if you haven't noticed where Forrest links the word "anyway" with some sort of random information you may take another turn at the book. He says that Eric Sloan's life "was just a rule of thumb <b>anyway</b>" which sets the stage for all the other anyways throughout the book. The sentence or sentences preceding "anyway" are all divergent random offerings that are most likely important clues/hints. I"m not saying there aren't many more clues/hints but these are highlighted by the rule of thumb. I can make sense (at least as it applies to my path) of most of the clues although the horseshoe-cavalry one throws me and the "her face reminded me of a can opener in a good housekeeping magazine" (that may not be the exact quote), completely looses me. Most of these clues have probably been plucked out of the text by searchers because they are so obviously intentional sidetracks to the stories. The problem with them is that, like the poem, they can be interpreted to fit so many different solutions and places. I have noticed several other parts in the book that refer to a face and linking the female, "her" or "she". I believe these tidbits are references to the treasure as well. But a face like a can opener in a good housekeeping magazine? I've googled it. Nothing pops out at me. Thoughts?
08-02-2013, 07:49 AM,
I think it's important to keep our efforts focused. The clues are not in the body of the text, but there are subtle hints in the memoir that we can use to help solve the clues of the puzzle...if you know where to look. FF has said that these were not placed intentionally to aid the seeker. I haven't really been able to completely wrap my brain around that statement yet.

How can hints not be placed on purpose? Upon a retrospective analysis did FF realized "Oh, how serendipitous, that could be a hint!"?

Of course if you are only <i>seeking</i> and not <i>finding</i> then the hints haven't aided you at all. Perhaps, the hints were placed there intentionally to aid the <i>Finder</i>.
08-02-2013, 09:52 AM,
Oh! That was helpful!
08-02-2013, 12:10 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from stu on August 2, 2013, 7:38 am</b>

So if you haven't noticed where Forrest links the word "anyway" with some sort of random information you may take another turn at the book. He says that Eric Sloan's life "was just a rule of thumb <b>anyway</b>" which sets the stage for all the other anyways throughout the book. The sentence or sentences preceding "anyway" are all divergent random offerings that are most likely important clues/hints. I"m not saying there aren't many more clues/hints but these are highlighted by the rule of thumb. I can make sense (at least as it applies to my path) of most of the clues although the horseshoe-cavalry one throws me and the "her face reminded me of a can opener in a good housekeeping magazine" (that may not be the exact quote), completely looses me. Most of these clues have probably been plucked out of the text by searchers because they are so obviously intentional sidetracks to the stories. The problem with them is that, like the poem, they can be interpreted to fit so many different solutions and places. I have noticed several other parts in the book that refer to a face and linking the female, "her" or "she". I believe these tidbits are references to the treasure as well. But a face like a can opener in a good housekeeping magazine? I've googled it. Nothing pops out at me. Thoughts?
</div>

[embed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BttKEUV4XsM[/embed]
08-02-2013, 12:15 PM,
Jen, yes but to what end?

Bucky, you state that "The clues are not in the body of the text". The direct quote from the book states, "There are other subtle <b>clues</b> sprinkled in the stories." This sentence is short, succinct and to the point. "Clues", not hints and not hints to help solve the clues of the puzzle. Of course, all things lead to solving the poem but I take everything Forrest says outside the book (especially replies to emails) with a serious grain of salt. I believe he would keep as level a playing field as possible and that is why so many of these "quotes" sound like double speak and hold circular logic that lead to internal arguments just like the one you present - that the hints may be deliberately placed to aid the Finder not the seeker. That is good thinking and just the kind of "out" one could apply to a statement like that.

By now, most folks have made their mind up whether they believe there are hints/clues in the book and certain posts, by their nature, suggest a lean toward one camp or another. Maybe there should be sub categories for people who believe there are clues/hints in the book and those that don't so much. I respect everyone's opinions and wish them well on their hunt but I, for one, would really like to have a discussion on a thread with people who are under the assumption that there are clues in the body of the text about what those clues mean. And right now, I'm trying to figure out how a face can look like a can opener from a Good Housekeeping magazine and why this statement was made.
08-02-2013, 12:56 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from stu on August 2, 2013, 1:15 pm</b>

Jen, yes but to what end?

Bucky, you state that "The clues are not in the body of the text". The direct quote from the book states, "There are other subtle <b>clues</b> sprinkled in the stories." This sentence is short, succinct and to the point. "Clues", not hints and not hints to help solve the clues of the puzzle. Of course, all things lead to solving the poem but I take everything Forrest says outside the book (especially replies to emails) with a serious grain of salt. I believe he would keep as level a playing field as possible and that is why so many of these "quotes" sound like double speak and hold circular logic that lead to internal arguments just like the one you present - that the hints may be deliberately placed to aid the Finder not the seeker. That is good thinking and just the kind of "out" one could apply to a statement like that.

By now, most folks have made their mind up whether they believe there are hints/clues in the book and certain posts, by their nature, suggest a lean toward one camp or another. Maybe there should be sub categories for people who believe there are clues/hints in the book and those that don't so much. I respect everyone's opinions and wish them well on their hunt but I, for one, would really like to have a discussion on a thread with people who are under the assumption that there are clues in the body of the text about what those clues mean. And right now, I'm trying to figure out how a face can look like a can opener from a Good Housekeeping magazine and why this statement was made.
</div>
I think the point is that people are hanging onto every word that is in print or spoken by Forrest Fenn.

And there will be 2 types of info disseminated.Clues and non clues.

Any clues will be subtle clues.

He is not gonna lead anyone to the treasure in any of his spoken or written statements.

He made up his mind and nobody can change it.

I have seen many subtle clues that I believe are being left.

But those clues will not lead anybody to the treasure.

They can however be awe inspiring confidence builders before someone goes out and plans a trip.

A surety so to speak.

The face like a can opener in a good housekeeping magazine.

A bucktoothed woman though she has those teeth is still neat and tidy in appearance.

My mom was like that most of her life.

An air force asset manager that knew many high ranking officials.

Well respected with many many high achievement awards.

Air force generals would have to go thru her to get their allowances and

she would not give them everything they wanted.

They had budgets and allowances and that was it,by the book and they respected that.

They all knew they had general funds that they could steal from one another with their sole authority.

But when it came to specified budget items,strictly by the book.

"Sorry dear,you over spent your allowance this quarter."

Can you imagine that ?

She was the holder of the purse strings so to speak.

08-02-2013, 12:57 PM,
Umm yeah.. As much as I appreciate a good old cartoon, I understand so well why it was that Dal shut down the comments.
08-02-2013, 01:06 PM,
I do think there are clues/hints in the text. FF has certainly suggested that the reading and re-reading of the memoir will assist in solving the clues held within the poem. I think he has also been fairly straight forward in instructing us to follow precisely the poem containing nine (could there be more?) clues that will lead to the treasure. I have not completely discounted an extra-poem direct clue or inference to the location of the treasure, but am currently working under the premise that the other subtle clues sprinkled in the stories are hints/clues on how to solve the clues of the poem.

As far as can opener faces: I imagine a somewhat homely face, asymmetrical, with one chronically raised eye brow and flared nostril, with a lip upturned in perpetual sarcasm and spite.

What a Good Housekeeping magazine has to offer...? Not sure either.

How I can bring this back to the poem and the nine clues: Keep yourself organized and logical. If your solve has rough, jagged, sharp edges like you opened a can with your boyscout knife instead of the electric beauty of the modern 1950's you should rethink it. Though we may have our faces all squished up in consternation, when we finally make the solve it will be clean and smooth.
08-02-2013, 01:08 PM,
I wonder if the opener in that add looked like this?

[Image: 0xz57-images-1.jpg]
08-02-2013, 01:12 PM,
Hi Stu, A face like a can opener, might be a reference to, chiseled features, a slang term, like hatchet face, same reference.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A bold statement, but I'll make it anyway... 99.9% solved 48 23,066 12-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  New Mexico Searchers Can Rule This Area Out Mindy 18 10,375 03-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  West Thumb WWWH zombiecupkake 0 1,083 10-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Last Post: zombiecupkake
  Basic Ground rule violation 5GIRLS 16 8,628 08-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Last Post: 5GIRLS
  New Chasechat Rule #1... minotaur_moreno 34 19,594 04-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Kpro
  Spanish Lessons and the rule of 2s JamLady 6 6,773 06-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Last Post: James Perotti