Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Puzzle-Solvers Solution
09-15-2015, 10:12 PM,
A Puzzle-Solvers Solution
Greetings from the Bayou State of Louisiana!

I've been working on the hunt for a couple of months and wanted to stop by and share some progress.

FORREST FENN POEM: STAGE I

The nine clues of the poem are nine lines starting with the line 'Begin it where warm waters halt' and ending with the line about the blaze.

1. Begin it where warm waters halt.

'Warm water' = LUKE as in 'luke-warm water', changing the meaning of the phrase to 'Begin it where LUKE STOPS'. In Yellowstone National Park, at the Fishing Bridge area is Luke Rd. At the end of Luke Rd lies 'E. Entrance Rd' which becomes the term that defines 'IT' in the first two lines of the instructions.

2. And take it in the canyon down.

The word we associate with 'the canyon' is GRAND as in 'Grand Canyon'. 'It' was defined by the first clue as 'E. Entrance Rd'. Substituting accordingly, this phrase now becomes 'And take ENTRANCE RD to GRAND SOUTH'. One can follow these instructions on a map.

Note: A confirmer--'Entrance Rd' means 'Beginning of the path'.

3. Not far, but too far to walk.

This is a clue that we are to drive to the south. We started at a bridge--Fishing Bridge-- and we end at a bridge. Approximately four miles to the south is the BRIDGE over BRIDGE BAY. This is confirmed by the fact that the term 'too far' is suggestive of a film title: 'A Bridge Too Far'.

4. Put in below the home of Brown.

In the same fashion that clue 3 meant to drive, this clue tell us where to park. 'Put in below': below the bridge that is the destination of clue 3 is the Bridge Bay Marina parking lot. This satisfies both the nautical 'put in' since there is a marina and boat launch here, as well as a very large parking lot. Upon arrival, 'below the home of Brown' now defines itself as being 'Brown bear' because the north end of the parking lot contains the trailhead for the Natural Bridge Trail. Attached to this trailhead sign is a large 'Bear Attack' sign. The parking lot is 'below the home of Brown' because the trailhead is at the north end of the parking lot and the trail begins to the north.

5. From there it's no place for the meek.

This is a reference to the 'Bear Attack' sign for the trail. The destination of this clue is the trailhead of the Natural Bridge Trail located at the north end of the parking lot.

6. The end is ever drawing nigh.

This is a clue that we are to walk to the end of the trail.

7. There'll be no paddle up your creek.

Towards the end of the trail is BRIDGE CREEK. This is a very shallow creek that will not accommodate any canoes or kayaks. The destination point of this clue is Bridge Creek at the end of the trail.

8. Just heavy loads and water high.

The nature of the creek does not allow boating--the end of the trail has large rocks and a waterfall over the Natural Bridge.

9. If you've been wise and found the blaze.

From dictionary.com, the definition of 'blaze' is 'a spot or mark made on a tree'. SPOT MARK TREE are the three key puzzle words numbered 1-2-3. As you can see, the '3' is TREE, and a description of 'tree' is that it's the word 'three' except it's missing a letter.

THREE IS MISSING LETTER

As the solvers here are well aware, the poem is missing a letter as well, and this is a riddle for it. The missing letter is 'X', and substituting accordingly: THREE IS X.

Returning to our original 3-word clue: SPOT MARK TREE, we can use our solution: SPOT MARK X.

You should immediately recognize the ingredients for a well-known saying: X MARKS THE SPOT.

In this way, 'blaze' is actually 'X MARKS THE SPOT'.

'X marks the spot' on a treasure map marks the end of the trail, which is exactly where you're currently located: the end of the Natural Bridge Trail. In the same fashion that 'begin it where warm waters halt' marks the beginning of the clues, 'X marks the spot' gives us the end.

We must now solve X MARKS THE SPOT as another 3-part word puzzle: 'X' 'MARKS' 'THE SPOT'.

1. 'The spot': SPOT has several anagrams which now make their own instruction. TOP'S STOP SPOT means 'top's stopping point'.

2. 'X' is a CROSS. If we 'cross' something, it means we BRIDGE it. You know you've done this correctly because we have first = last, the circular nature of which underlies everything in this game.

The connection is the old saying 'pots and pans'.

POTS is yet another anagram of SPOT, and the anagram of PANS is SPAN which is exactly what a BRIDGE is considered to be.

3. MARKS. We began our clues as 'where LUKE STOPS'. First = last again. Luke and Mark are connected by the fact they are both books of the Bible. It began with the end of Luke, it finishes with the end of the book of Mark: CONFIRMING THE WORD WITH SIGNS.

The word we're confirming is 'THE SPOT', letting us know that we're in the correct location.

The 'top's stopping point': atop the Natural Bridge are two signs that read 'Keep Off Bridge'. We began our trail 'where Luke stops' and we're finishing it atop the Natural Bridge with its 'Keep Off Bridge' signs. These are all examples of STOP SIGNS.

X MARKS THE SPOT is equivalent to 'BRIDGE' 'CONFIRMING THE WORD WITH SIGNS' 'TOP'S STOPPING POINT'.

You will confirm each stage of the game in the same fashion.

Although the 'blaze' is the final clue, the other lines play a role. 'Look quickly down, your quest to cease.' Glancing downward from the top of the Natural Bridge, you will be gazing at BRIDGE CREEK'S EDGE which marks the end of this stage of our journey.

Notes:

1. This path consists of three bridges and three 'stopping points':
a. Fishing Bridge and the stop sign at the end of Luke Rd.
b. Bridge Bay Marina parking lot
c. Natural Bridge and the 'Keep Off Bridge' signs.
2. Begins at 'Entrance Rd'. Finishes at 'trail's end'.
3. Path is a single unbroken line
4. No in-depth research of Forrest Fenn's life is necessary

The treasure will not be located here. This is only the first part of a treasure map that is being constructed by the poem. There are three more stages, and each stage has built-in confirmers that allow its solvers to know they're doing it correctly.
09-15-2015, 10:29 PM,
RE: A Puzzle-Solvers Solution
I am impressed. I look forward to the end...loved the Luke street....so clever.
09-16-2015, 06:57 AM,
Doc, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your findings. As you have expressed at the tweleve.org forum, this puzzle is a masterpiece. Please stop back in often.

astree
=====

DON’T RESEARCH...THINK!!!

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v46056

WP (stock symbol)
09-16-2015, 07:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2015, 07:19 AM by John Brown.)
The word is lukewarm not "luke-warm" or "luke warm." The only meaning of the word "luke" is as a boys name. See

http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/luke where it says:

--------quote--------------------
The name Luke is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name Luke is: Light giving. From Lucania (Lucania was a district of ancient Italy). Luke was the author of the Acts of the Apostles and of the third Gospel in the New Testament, the patron saint of doctors and artists, and was known as 'the beloved physician'.
--------end quote--------------------

The origins of "lukewarm" are distinct from those of "luke" and probably from middle English, or so says Merriam-Webster. See

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lukewarm.

--------quote--------------------
Origin of LUKEWARM

Middle English, from luke lukewarm + warm; probably akin to Old High German lāo lukewarm — more at lee
First Known Use: 14th century
--------end quote--------------------
09-16-2015, 10:05 AM,
In order to solve this conundrum, I think it's going to need to be approached as a puzzle as opposed to an object of research.

I've ordered the book; it's my understanding it contains two omega symbols? Is this correct?

If so, it's a puzzle that needs to be solved. It won't get you to the treasure, but I expect it drops a hint or two along the way.

Let's see:

1. Two omega symbols equals TWO ENDS. I'm assuming they're capital omegas as opposed to the lower case w's? If that's the case, just from a graphical standpoint, one might say they represent END-TO-END.

2. Do you know which number letter of the Greek alphabet is Omega? It's the '24th' letter. Do you know what the 24th letter of the English alphabet is? 'X'. In this fashion 'Two omegas' = XX. That certainly represents 'two ends' as well.

3. There's a particular sort of word play that 'end-to-end' puts me in mind of: a PALINDROME where the same series of letters can be read forwards and backwards. The particular palindrome that might apply here is 'X IS SIX'. Sixth letter of the alphabet is 'F'. Using this palindrome 'end-to-end', we can convert XX to FF, which is a nice signature for Forrest Fenn.

There's more to this, but I want to see if people are able to follow what I'm posting without scaring folks away.

Doc
09-16-2015, 10:27 AM,
(09-16-2015, 10:05 AM)Doc Wrote: 1. Two omega symbols equals TWO ENDS. I'm assuming they're capital omegas as opposed to the lower case w's? If that's the case, just from a graphical standpoint, one might say they represent END-TO-END.

Doc

I like the end-to-end notion, but not in the context of palindromes. If you lay the six stanzas out sideways so that the poem looks like a ribbon, you can join the end to the beginning, but with a twist, forming a Mobius Strip. The four adjacent words in lines 1 and 4 read "and good as gold."

I'm glad you've ordered the book, Doc. It has more hints (not clues, hints) than you can shake a stick at.
09-16-2015, 10:57 AM,
Something's been echoing in this chamber known as my head that's slowly surfacing:

I've read that it may have taken fifteen years to create this puzzle? Is that a true statement that Mr. Fenn said, or is that internet conjecture?
09-16-2015, 11:15 AM,
15 years is a real quote from ff.

Pays to be a winner.
09-16-2015, 11:21 AM,
“I crafted a poem that’s in my book. It has nine clues in it. And I changed that poem over a fifteen year period. People who read that poem and say he sat down and wrote that poem in fifteen minutes. Well it took me fifteen years.”

from "Everything is Stories" radio interview. He has said similar things many places, times.

Doc, yessssss. you sensed it before, this is backing it up.

http://www.eisradio.org/item/003/
=====

DON’T RESEARCH...THINK!!!

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v46056

WP (stock symbol)
09-16-2015, 01:00 PM,
That's just superb.

'The poem took 15 years to create.'

THAT'S the way to give a clue!

Guys, someone with a new terminal cancer diagnosis does not then set about writing a poem for fifteen years for a new treasure hunt.

This should have waved a red flag saying 'A clue is here.'

This has absolutely nothing to do with the actual length of time it took to create the treasure hunt anymore than 'warm waters' and 'the canyon' have to do with hot springs and mountain canyons.

It's a puzzle, and it's a good one.

I'm writing this on the run. Let me try to finish working it out, and I'll post what I find.

It begins like this: 15 years = DECADE and a HALF.

Doc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Elegant Solution to Forrest Fenn’s Elegant Puzzle Jack 26 18,669 09-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Jack