Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharing info - trust, deception and cliques
10-11-2015, 07:09 PM,
RE: Sharing info - trust, deception and cliques
(10-11-2015, 05:42 PM)John Brown Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 10:48 AM)DaisyMae Wrote: Strange dichotomy for someone who wants to utilize blog info to assist or build confidence in their solve....

Big mistake. You don't want to build confidence in a solve. What you want to do is kill your solve without searching.

Exactly!!! We have a winner over here!

DO NOT look for confirmers on the blogs, or in the books, or anywhere else. Because no matter how wrong your solution is, you will find things that seem (in your mind) to confirm it. What you need to be looking for is things that invalidate your solution. Test and challenge your solution every way you can. Try your best to invalidate it, not confirm it. Only if it survives this trial by fire should you even consider actually going into the field.

This is essentially applying the scientific method to potential solutions. Scientists try to invalidate theories, not confirm them.

mdavis19
10-11-2015, 07:22 PM,
(10-11-2015, 07:09 PM)mdavis19 Wrote: ...Try your best to invalidate it, not confirm it. Only if it survives this trial by fire should you even consider actually going into the field...mdavis19

Sounds great (in theory), but exactly how?

For example, let's say @Daisy has a perfect WWWH that she is unable invalidate by herself. Is the next step to tell the forum to see what they say?

If so, and the forum is also unable to invalidate it, then where does that leave her? Would it leave her with a hard earned WWWH that everyone now knows?
10-11-2015, 07:31 PM,
(10-11-2015, 05:47 PM)DaisyMae Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 05:30 PM)decall Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 12:15 PM)DaisyMae Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 12:11 PM)decall Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 12:07 PM)DaisyMae Wrote: Not MT. But, if you have a caveman twin on unrelated site, I think I'm in the state of your favorite playground.
And if not WY, I really can't help. Imo cover of tftw is wwwh

Funny, I agree about the cover yet find myself further south, but not to far. Of course, the way locations and clues overlap it may end up the majority of clues are in one state but will indicate a final solve location in another state.
So when you hear canyon down, you think south?

No. Guess I should stop being cryptic... What I was trying to convey was that I'm focused in the states south of Wyoming. Started barely above Santa Fe, but have found more interesting locations in southern Colorado.

(10-11-2015, 05:42 PM)John Brown Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 10:48 AM)DaisyMae Wrote: Strange dichotomy for someone who wants to utilize blog info to assist or build confidence in their solve....

Big mistake. You don't want to build confidence in a solve. What you want to do is kill your solve without searching.

Yes there are shady people on the forums. There are lots of great people though.

Well it's good to hear that someone is still finding friendly folk involved with the search!

During my last ground search some strange gal came by and asked if my name was Mindy. I told her 'no' but didn't offer up my name. She went away for awhile and then came back and asked if my name was Stephanie or Donna. When I said no again she told me I'd better leave. I pointed out I was on public land and suggested she find someone else to annoy. Might be totally unconnected, but the experience just felt very strange in light of the recent 'vigorous fellowship' going on in the forums.

What?! Really? That's weird. I wonder who it was? Whoever it was, they don't have to worry about me searching for that treasure for a while. Smile
Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
10-11-2015, 07:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2015, 08:03 PM by DaisyMae.)
Sharing info - trust, deception and cliques
Test and challenge your solution every way you can. Try your best to invalidate it, not confirm it. Only if it survives this trial by fire should you even consider actually going into the field.

This is essentially applying the scientific method to potential solutions. Scientists try to invalidate theories, not confirm them.

mdavis19
[/quote]

That's very true and I appreciate the insight. But if something like the blaze can only be found by being on the ground, a strict application of your approach risks tossing the baby out with the bath water, doesn't it?

I guess maybe I should keep in mind that my main goals for blog research are filling in knowledge gaps or finding points of convergence on a large scale (like searchers in all four states who find reasonable explanations for a 'HoB' on an 'Ice Creek'). Just my twisted version of applying unified field theory to find holes or new paths within my solve.

What?! Really? That's weird. I wonder who it was? Whoever it was, they don't have to worry about me searching for that treasure for a while. Smile
[/quote]

Mindy it was beyond weird. To the best of my knowledge, I'm not searching in any areas suggested by postings from you, Steph or Donna. Not saying I'm in an unsearched area, just not one I've seen connected those three well-known posters.

Also probably explains why I'm feeling a little disconcerted about continuing to search solo and trying to figure out who is local, creative and not a candidate for mass murderer.

(10-11-2015, 07:02 PM)Milan Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 10:48 AM)DaisyMae Wrote: ...Strange dichotomy for someone who wants to utilize blog info to assist or build confidence in their solve....

Yes, the paradigm here is fascinating. I do not believe it's possible to "build" confidence in your solve on this forum. Please let me explain why:

1. Pretend that you had perfectly identified and solved 8 of the 9 clues (in your mind, anyway).
2. Now, let's say you wanted some help/inspiration on the last clue. How would you go about getting help?

It's a quagmire. You could try skirting around what you know (like you attempted to do by hiding Colorado), but nobody will help you unless you reveal something to their liking. And, if you try to reveal things by skipping the first few clues, you will be stoned for heresy, because it may go against their prejudices. You really can't get help without sharing important knowledge, but then that helps your competition. This is a fun hobby, but it's also a game of strategy, maybe very much like poker!

>>cliques

Yes. One way to be accepted into these cliques is by attending a live Fenn event, get together, etc. That way, people can put a real person to the online facades.

(10-11-2015, 10:48 AM)DaisyMae Wrote: ...but how do you sift out the fact from the crap?

You can't, but you after a while you can start ignoring the unhelpful ones. However, keep an open mind when deciding which personalities are unhelpful because you might lose out on some great insight.

(10-11-2015, 10:48 AM)DaisyMae Wrote: ff may appreciate a pretty face, but his dedication to Peggy leads me to doubt that a pretty face gets special treatment. *IF* ff rewards searchers with special hints, I suspect it is based on an appreciation for brilliant thinking and not physical beauty).

I think you're spot on with this statement.

(10-11-2015, 10:48 AM)DaisyMae Wrote: At this point, I feel so insecure about who to share info with and which way to turn, that every time I get the desire to share an idea for public feedback my post goes back into the draft folder instead of being posted on the board.

It depends on whether or not you have thick skin. If you say anything that someone on their high horse dislikes, you will be blasted. And over on Dal's site (aka HoD), if you even come close to challenging or disagreeing with Dal or Goofy you will be banned from that site. Even if you do it in a respectful way.

Best of luck to you. Southern Colorado is beautiful.

Thanks Milan,

Guess I'll reach out in the Colorado forum and see if there are any fenners willing to meet during the cold season since we have no idea when the next Santa Fe event will occur.

By the way it's one of your prior posts that has driven me batty with new ideas for the past several days. So thanks for the inspiration too! Good luck in your search!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Someone I can trust SoulMates4Ever 18 1,992 01-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  Info sharing zombiecupkake 0 261 01-08-2019, 12:43 PM
Last Post: zombiecupkake
  Info on when "Doty photos" of the chest were taken ? treasure of truth 1 584 12-21-2018, 11:06 PM
Last Post: treasure of truth
  Interesting info. on Charmay Allred Bet 4 2,307 05-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Becky from WV
  A question about principle and trust? imsunbuddynow 13 6,481 03-18-2017, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Gordon Lightfoot
  people post dangerous info but dont recognize Chris Yates 15 10,139 09-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Last Post: glock20