Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colorado location - few ideas....
11-03-2013, 07:11 PM,
Colorado location - few ideas....
DNA, AND SAMSMITH DITTO
05-25-2017, 01:25 AM,
RE: Colorado location - few ideas....
Bump.

down with the evil twin

06-25-2017, 08:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2017, 09:07 AM by memeanne85.)
(10-30-2013, 03:37 PM)tom Wrote: Has anybody ever gave it any thought that "your effort will be worth the cold" is Cold Spring Mountain in Colorado! I have been searching this area, and the blaze, there are two just as you cross into Colorado on the side of Cold Spring one is Marvel Gaze and the other a woman.

I think this is a good solve.

I'm a few years behind on this quest to find fenn's treasure, maybe that gives me an advantage but I don't know ? As for "your effort will be worth the cold", the tc is bronze, in ttotc while entertaining the children at his gallery he asks them why they think the Indian statue is "cold" then told them to ask their parents and write him a letter, he didn't tell them bronze is cold to the touch because your hands are warm. If you find it your hands will be "hot" and the bronze will be cold.

Some more food for thought, mind you I've only been at this for a few days, but I've noticed that few people seem to be listening to the things he says, whether or not they are intended to be "hints", they certainly apply.

1) he has continuously reiterated that "you must start at the beginning.... you can't find it by starting in the middle... I walked back to my car with no one around any place" and felt comfortable enough to talk aloud.

My thought is the first stanza is the FIRST clue, I have excluded ALL high traffic areas. As he has "gone alone in there, with his treasures bold". My interpretation is that it is a place that would have allowed him to make the 2 trips to and from his car without need to hide his treasures, "with my treasure bold".

2) he has continually stated that it is in a place that an 79/80 yo man could have easily reached, BY HIMSELF, I beg each of you reading this to keep this heavy on your mind while in your search areas. I have read far to many posts of people searching over cliffs, diving into deep waters, etc.

3) he has also stated that the book contains SUBTLE hints. My belief is that you will NOT find the location in the book, thus excluding Yellowstone which would be a blatant Hint as the clues in the poem coincide with events that took place in Yellowstone. The book takes you through Wyoming, Montana, and New Mexico. I have found no reference to Colorado. Which leads me to believe it is in colorado.

4) he has also stated that there is ONE word that will unlock it all, and there is one aspect that NO ONE has considered. I believe I know exactly what it is and it took me less than a day to figure it out. I will not give you my solve because one day I may find myself in Colorado, though as many have been I too could be wrong lol. But I will encourage you all to go back to the book read it slowly, he speaks several times of knowledge, find the quote. Read the entire book with that in mind, take notes and solve the poem.
07-09-2017, 12:15 PM,
(06-25-2017, 08:39 AM)memeanne85 Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 03:37 PM)tom Wrote: Has anybody ever gave it any thought that "your effort will be worth the cold" is Cold Spring Mountain in Colorado! I have been searching this area, and the blaze, there are two just as you cross into Colorado on the side of Cold Spring one is Marvel Gaze and the other a woman.

I think this is a good solve.

I'm a few years behind on this quest to find fenn's treasure, maybe that gives me an advantage but I don't know ? As for "your effort will be worth the cold", the tc is bronze, in ttotc while entertaining the children at his gallery he asks them why they think the Indian statue is "cold" then told them to ask their parents and write him a letter, he didn't tell them bronze is cold to the touch because your hands are warm. If you find it your hands will be "hot" and the bronze will be cold.

Some more food for thought, mind you I've only been at this for a few days, but I've noticed that few people seem to be listening to the things he says, whether or not they are intended to be "hints", they certainly apply.

1) he has continuously reiterated that "you must start at the beginning.... you can't find it by starting in the middle... I walked back to my car with no one around any place" and felt comfortable enough to talk aloud.

My thought is the first stanza is the FIRST clue, I have excluded ALL high traffic areas. As he has "gone alone in there, with his treasures bold". My interpretation is that it is a place that would have allowed him to make the 2 trips to and from his car without need to hide his treasures, "with my treasure bold".

2) he has continually stated that it is in a place that an 79/80 yo man could have easily reached, BY HIMSELF, I beg each of you reading this to keep this heavy on your mind while in your search areas. I have read far to many posts of people searching over cliffs, diving into deep waters, etc.

3) he has also stated that the book contains SUBTLE hints. My belief is that you will NOT find the location in the book, thus excluding Yellowstone which would be a blatant Hint as the clues in the poem coincide with events that took place in Yellowstone. The book takes you through Wyoming, Montana, and New Mexico. I have found no reference to Colorado. Which leads me to believe it is in colorado.

4) he has also stated that there is ONE word that will unlock it all, and there is one aspect that NO ONE has considered. I believe I know exactly what it is and it took me less than a day to figure it out. I will not give you my solve because one day I may find myself in Colorado, though as many have been I too could be wrong lol. But I will encourage you all to go back to the book read it slowly, he speaks several times of knowledge, find the quote. Read the entire book with that in mind, take notes and solve the poem.

Thank you for your considered post.
05-07-2018, 09:25 PM,
on a path of my own, was up in St. Elmo a couple days ago, stumbled across a log cabin with a historical plack depicting the brown family. have found no other reference to that house other than seeing it. humm many other clues fit as well. also wondering if St. Elmo's fire could be the blaze(this has nothing to do with the rockies, but am thinking)
01-08-2019, 11:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2019, 11:12 PM by The Duck.)
(08-24-2013, 05:59 PM)krootz Wrote: Hey guys,

I've been spending quite a bit of my time researching this story, and thought I'd share a few potential locations, and see if anyone has made trips out there yet.

My favorite potential location is around Lodore Canyon. If you follow the poem, warm waters halt = flaming gorge resevoir, follow this down into the canyon = Browns National Park. Not far, but too far to walk. Definitely need a car, or raft possibly...

I also want to point out that I think Yellowstone is potentially not a good fit because it is federal property. From what I can tell of Forrest, he definitely wouldn't want anyone who finds the treasure to have to deal with legal proceedings with the IRS, ect. Just a thought, but anyway continuing with the poem. Now I find it odd that he says "Put in the home of Brown". For one, Brown is capitalized indicating a Person or Place, not a thing such as a brown bear, brown trout, ect. Baptiste Brown, is supposodly who the park is named after, one of the very first American settlers to travel westward, possibly the first. He ended up settling in what is now Brown National Park, however there doesn't seem to be a cabin in CO that would of been his from way back then. So I'm thinking below the national park is where I put in my raft, and set sail down the green river.

"From there its no place for the meek", well a trapper by the name of Joseph Meek also lived at Brown's Hole and had the Below confrontation before settling down and no longer trapping.

Fur trapper Robert Newell lamented the fact that the mountain men were becoming horse thieves and robbers. Summarizing the feelings of old mountain men toward the demise of the fur trade and the new lawless breed, Newell told Joe Meek, “We are done with this life in the mountains—done with wading in beaver dams and freezing or starving alternately—done with Indian trading and Indian fighting. The fur trade is dead in the Rocky Mountains, and it is no place for us now. . .What do you say, Meek? ( No place for the Meek)

Not sure about "the end is ever drawing nigh" part. To me, I would of written it the end is drawing ever nigh, not that I can see much change there.

Obviously the next 2 lines are about the Green River, you can't go upstream obviously, and the heavy loads / water high is a reference to the Gates of Lodore where rapids start. The next part, been wise and found the blaze I'm not positive but upon looking at google earth for awhile, at the Yampa / Green River juncture there appears to be burned up trees for a good stretch. It is definitely noticable all along the River in fact in certain sections. The Marvel Gaze, I was thinking at the Junction it appears to be a huge almost marble looking rock formations, but never been there yet. I also think this area is a bit more traveled though, not hugely so at all, but there is a campgrounds at this juncture. So from there, or if its maybe somewhere along the rapids in the northern Green River, in Lodore Canyon. Theres tons of outcroppings, I'm sure caves / caverns, lots of stretches of land to dock your raft and explore, things of that nature. I'm sure theres some danger though to looking in those locations, Green River while not what I'd call Class 4 rapids in the CO stretch, definitely has some dangers. Again, never been there but it looks quite shallow, around 3-5 feet deep and its definitely slow moving enough to not be hugely dangerous to an older man. Though Forrest on a raft down the Green River, I'm not sure I still believe exactly. Then theres the fact that he went back to his car and laughed. I do recall one story saying he made 2 trips to the treasure, so quite possibly took a charter bus with the chest hidden in some bag, stopped along the side of the river, deposited it, got back to his car, did the same thing but with the treasure this time?

Now that I'm writing all of those things, it seems a little far fetched as to him placing it along the riverside, as after Lodore Canyon it is quite difficult to "drive into the canyon". It is steep cliffs, and huge wall faces along side the river. He also only said that the treasure wasn't in those two states, so its possible the roads that extend into Utah, on the left side of the Green River could of been used to get to a most remote part of CO. Essentially a part that is practically nonexistant. Look on Google Maps, then switch to satelite view. You can find tons of dirt roads above Lodore Canyon, around the left side of Green River, and along certain parts of Lodore Canyon / and beyond down the Green River.

Well, thats about it... I hope maybe this helped someone, sparked some thought in someones brain, something I totally missed or whatnot. With the way the clues work, I basically just tried to piece them together in what made most sense to me, being from CO (which by the way, if anyone wants to head down the Green River for a daytrip... I'm down or possibly check out Storm Mountain, where the fire happened). The problem is if you don't start in the exact right geographic area, every other answer you have for the clues is totally unhelpful, so who knows. I'm kind of the impression that the chest won't be found by one of us, and randomly in like 2-300 years by a random person, who probably never heard of this story. I guess only time will tell.

I found that "no place for us if it ever was" quote directed towards J Meek as well. I had an idea about the Tarryall Mountains and Observatory Rock (Tarry scant with marvel gaze). My two kids and I crawled all over Observatory Rock and didn't find anything.
03-14-2019, 11:52 AM,
Me and my father's current favorite spot is "Rainbow Curve". We have ran it in just about every direction around Estes Park, 8 trips so far!!

It's bizarre to me that no one seems to be discussing the ridiculous set of coincidences around Rainbow Curve, Arrowhead Lake, Forrest Lake... We've also been all through Moraine Park, the Alluvial Fan trail, and even the Twin Owls above the McGregor Ranch which also has a whole ton of similarities to Forrest and we're still scratching our heads unfortunately. Sad