Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expedition Unknown.
12-03-2015, 11:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2015, 11:42 AM by The_Spoiler.)
RE: Expedition Unknown.
He is selling books related to a game of skill and that requires him to follow the law in New Mexico and nationally under the FTC. A treasure hunt is not exempt from the requirement. Look at every other treasure hunt. They all have official rules. They could shut the hunt down and require that all money earned from the sell of the books be returned and penalties could be assessed as well.

If he was not selling books related to the hunt, he might be able to get around it.
12-03-2015, 11:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2015, 11:51 AM by DaisyMae.)
I understand the point you're trying to make but you're missing the big picture. FF never said you had to buy the book to find the chest. That's a legal distinction that makes the chase different from almost every recent treasure hunt. Finding a loophole in existing law is the bread-and-butter of attorneys. I personally believe FF has found of couple of beauties in creating the chase.

If you think this law means you don't get to keep the chest if it's found in NM, then don't search NM. Find a solve in an area that betters your chances of keeping what you find.

And before you go around invoking federal law you might want to brush up on the limited circumstances in which federal preemption applies as opposed to when individual states still maintain the right to craft state specific laws.
12-03-2015, 12:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2015, 12:14 PM by Woody Bogg.)
(12-03-2015, 11:50 AM)DaisyMae Wrote: I understand the point you're trying to make but you're missing the big picture. FF never said you had to buy the book to find the chest. That's a legal distinction that makes the chase different from almost every recent treasure hunt. Finding a loophole in existing law is the bread-and-butter of attorneys. I personally believe FF has found of couple of beauties in creating the chase.

If you think this law means you don't get to keep the chest if it's found in NM, then don't search NM. Find a solve in an area that betters your chances of keeping what you find.

And before you go around invoking federal law you might want to brush up on the limited circumstances in which federal preemption applies as opposed to when individual states still maintain the right to craft state specific laws.
One of the oldest laws on the books .. You do not have to disclose the whereabouts of the treasure . Always claim that they don't have jurisdiction over the matter and make them prove otherwise.( Almost Impossible)
12-03-2015, 12:11 PM,
Expedition Unknown.
(12-03-2015, 12:00 PM)Woody Bogg Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 11:50 AM)DaisyMae Wrote: I understand the point you're trying to make but you're missing the big picture. FF never said you had to buy the book to find the chest. That's a legal distinction that makes the chase different from almost every recent treasure hunt. Finding a loophole in existing law is the bread-and-butter of attorneys. I personally believe FF has found of couple of beauties in creating the chase.

One of the oldest laws on the books .. You do not have to disclose the whereabouts of the treasure .

Your comment triggered a funny comic strip scene in my brain.
FF on the witness stand being told by a judge that he has to disclose the chest location or face being held in contempt and going to jail.
FF's response...'Well, your honor, I won't tell you where it is but I can assure you it isn't associated with any water gate'.

But maybe that's only funny to meSmile
12-03-2015, 12:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2015, 12:23 PM by Woody Bogg.)
(12-03-2015, 12:11 PM)DaisyMae Wrote:

One of the oldest laws on the books .. You do not have to disclose the whereabouts of the treasure .

FF on the witness stand being told by a judge that he has to disclose the chest location or face being held in contempt and going to jail.
FF's response...'Well, your honor, I won't tell you where it is but I can assure you it isn't associated with any water gate'.

That is funny!!! Nobody said you couldn't be held in contempt!!

(12-03-2015, 12:15 PM)Woody Bogg Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 12:11 PM)DaisyMae Wrote:

That is funny!!! Nobody said you couldn't be held in contempt!!
Well you do have the right to remain silent!! Case dismissed!!!
12-03-2015, 12:19 PM,
I picture ff saying in a Richard Nixon voice 'I am not a hound dog.'
12-03-2015, 12:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM by DaisyMae.)
Expedition Unknown.
Hmmm...could canyon down be a hint to follow our own 'deep throat' that whispers on the blogs for us to listen good? Maybe there are "felt" references to explore. Lol!
12-03-2015, 12:31 PM,
follow the money. ff at the wh (waters halt)
12-03-2015, 04:03 PM,
(12-03-2015, 03:58 PM)mountain digger Wrote:
(12-03-2015, 11:41 AM)The_Spoiler Wrote: He is selling books related to a game of skill and that requires him to follow the law in New Mexico and nationally under the FTC. A treasure hunt is not exempt from the requirement. Look at every other treasure hunt. They all have official rules. They could shut the hunt down and require that all money earned from the sell of the books be returned and penalties could be assessed as well.

If he was not selling books related to the hunt, he might be able to get around it.

OFFICIAL RULES - TTOTC

Rule #1: There are no rules.

Precisely! And that is why I love this hunt.
12-03-2015, 08:04 PM,
Here is the video from the show of Expedition Unknown with Josh Gates: Finding Fenn's Fortune

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/exped...ns-fortune

Happy Hunting!
So Mote It Be!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Expedition Unknown Interview with Dal re: August 4th question 6 1,333 07-09-2020, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Longfellow
  treasure in unknown area Chris Yates 0 894 04-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Chris Yates
  New Expedition Unknown spot... jdigginsz 17 8,630 10-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Last Post: jdigginsz
  Expedition Unknown Urban_Archaeologist 6 4,238 04-15-2017, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Kpro