Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrapbook 62: To cipher or not to cipher?
12-03-2015, 06:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2015, 06:14 PM by DaisyMae.)
Doc - I'm intrigued by your recent work. Not sure I'm fully buying into it yet, but it is neat to watch your progress.

Below is a FF quote I've always been suspicious might contain a message to be decoded. Thought I'd bring it it to your attention because I've gotten nowhere with it.

“I don’t want to give any more clues but if I am not too feeble to return to the chest when my turn comes, I cannot think of any better place for my bones to rest for a few millennia.”
12-03-2015, 07:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2015, 07:48 PM by Doc.)
RE: Scrapbook 62: To cipher or not to cipher?
DaisyMae,

That looks suspicious to me as well.

My first impression:

2 Feeble
2 return
2 the chest

II II II = KKK. My three kings who are WISE. That's one of those clue triggers that tells me something might be here.

Let me work on it--tell me what you think.

DaisyMae,

Definitely an encoded message. The first part:

1. I am not
2. 2 Feeble/2 return/2 the chest
3. when my turn comes

1. I am not = I am knot = I am NODE. DONE and END O. When 'done' is first, it's a way of saying first = last, and it's telling us the end is a circle.

2. 'when my turn comes' AROUND: A ROUND = ONE O. This is keeping with 'first = last', and you can see this last part being '1 0' = X.

3. As noted before, the 2-2-2 = II II II which is equivalent to K K K or the 'three kings'. That's exactly what this part of the puzzle entails.

a. The 'feeble' king = 1 Kings 1:1. You see the 111 hiding there.
b. The 'Return' of the King = 3rd book = III book.
c. The chest = indulgence = ENDING CLUE. I've discovered it's a good idea to follow the WISE ONES in discovering answers to the poem in general. The three kings, the II II II, the wise 'ones'.

The ending clue to find the chest will involve locating 'three kings', or so I think.

I'll work on the second half for a bit.

Doc
12-03-2015, 10:54 PM,
PL289,

What could be aces? The I's that showed up? I'm all about some aces floating around this conundrum.

Doc
12-03-2015, 11:25 PM,
Doc -

Why leave out 2 give?
That gives 4 Ks or Kings. Four of the five cards we've been told to expect?
So does that make this quote another puzzle?

“Life is a game of poker, Happiness is the pot. Fate deals you four cards and a joker, And you play whether you like it or not.”
12-03-2015, 11:42 PM,
DaisyMae,

That entire phrase is constructed of three pieces:

1. I don't want to give any more clues
2. I am not too feeble to return the chest when my turn comes
3. I cannot think of any better place for my bones to rest for a few millennia

We're going to follow the '3 wise ones': the three I's at the beginning of each part.

Did you see what I said about 'Nine' =
1. Lie
2. Star
3. 3 new Directions?

Compare that to these three phrases. You can see how the first one is a falsehood, the second part we already discussed was about the 3 kings--that followed the star to the east, and I've worked the last bit and it turned out to involve directions.

Does that make sense?

Briefly looking at that second quote you made about poker, I'd say yes. The first thing I'd think: Happiness is the pot = JOY is the TOP.

Doc
12-04-2015, 12:05 AM,
Thanks Doc! I'll bounce that around for a while. Looking for that outside parameter to guide the solve definitely helps to narrow the possibilities involved in these mini-puzzles.

Maybe it is recency bias but (IMO) it seems like many of the potential mini-puzzles could have been entries in FD's double negative contest.
12-04-2015, 05:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015, 05:55 AM by astree.)

(12-03-2015, 10:54 PM)Doc Wrote: PL289,

What could be aces? The I's that showed up? I'm all about some aces floating around this conundrum.

Doc

A few former posts about ACE

http://www.ttotc.com/the-poem/stanza-4/poem-44

Quote:February 27, 2014
“Just” take the chest and go in peace

A few notes:

1) ACE – in pEACe, seems to indicate the trove has been recovered
2) ACE – from word ‘AS’ (first word of poem, the end to the beginning), meaning take ( ) as a unit
3) making the substitution of ‘AS’ for ‘ACE’ results in
PASE, which means PASS

4) likewise, the end-acrostic (or seconds letters) of ‘gO iN peacE’ is ONE / ACE

"Codes and Cyphers", Dec 23 2014

Quote:Forrest from Temple, Texas (insert: I don't know if you were aware of that, Doc. You have used various Biblical references)

4 2
TE-XAS
.... shift letters back four
PA-TWO

TE MPLE, shift 11
IT BE AT
BEAT IT ( " go in peace " )

look at his high school log

TEXAS , shift back 12.
HS LOG
in the wood

=====

DON’T RESEARCH...THINK!!!

https://www.allmovie.com/movie/v46056

WP (stock symbol)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "hear" cipher in the poem and its true unlocked coordinate variant LeadSolver 15 1,230 10-10-2020, 10:19 AM
Last Post: LeadSolver
  New Poem & Cipher with Cash Prize Octopus 14 1,754 07-01-2020, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Octopus
  The Cipher debate Bet 424 382,391 03-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Last Post: easternOHsteve
  can You make this cipher work lostowl 1 1,916 05-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: lostowl