Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maps
12-07-2015, 04:14 AM,
Maps
Being a AAA Auto Club member, I dropped by there and picked up some maps. They are decent maps, but they do not show or give elevations as a topographical map does. Good for laminating and things, such as marking certain areas. If you are a member, these maps are free.

So, with that said, what types of maps are the best? Where do we get them at the best prices?
So Mote It Be!
12-07-2015, 01:34 PM,
RE: Maps
(12-07-2015, 08:26 AM)Yoda Wrote: Hmmm.

The best maps in life are free.

http://skyvector.com/

I agree. I don't know about the specific link you so kindly provided. I use Google Earth Pro which is free and I have free USGS topo maps that can be overlaid on it. The overlay isn't perfect. They're slightly misaligned but it is good enough for my needs. I also downloaded free topo maps into my Garmin GPS when I bought it some years ago.

As far as paper maps go I recommend the Travel Bug (Santa FE) for NM searchers. You can select the coordinates you want and the coverage and they'll print the map for you on the spot. They sell 71/2 minute USGS maps but I usually have custom maps printed because often enough the area I want to investigate is near border between two of the USGS maps. They will print on paper of this plastic-like stuff that is water proof.

If you don't want to spend the money on maps at a store you can also print them on 81/2 x 11 paper and then tape them together. I have done that too. It's a minor pain in the neck but manageable.
12-07-2015, 03:01 PM,
RE: Maps
the map is in the poem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free to download: Rocky Mountain Maps & Yellowstone Maps Desertphile 2 2,026 03-26-2017, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Urban_Archaeologist
  TTOTC is about maps. These maps are interesting. Buddy Allen 3 2,166 04-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Mindy