Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forrest Fenn's Crossword Puzzle
01-02-2016, 07:29 PM,
Forrest Fenn's Crossword Puzzle
January 02, 2016
Forrest Fenn’s Crossword Puzzle

Many people are stumped by Forrest Fenn’s poem. It contains mysterious locations: homes of Brown, warm waters that halt, ends that draw nigh. It’s almost as if he’s using a different language to describe things. Forrest himself declares it was constructed and written by an architect, and architecture can certainly seem mysterious to most of us. It is a specialized craft that requires several years to learn, master, and exploit.

Forrest’s clever claim is designed to overwhelm you into thinking the poem is a highly technical piece of work that defies your ability to understand it; he is telling you it is difficult, and you believe him. But is it difficult because Forrest says it is, or is it difficult because you’ve been tricked into believing it was written by a diabolical genius who can dominate you with his knowledge and manipulation of language? Does he have powers beyond those of mortal men? Is he Superman or is he simply wearing a red cape? “It’s not who you are, it’s who they think you are.” Forrest makes you think he’s a genius and that’s half the battle lost if you believe it.

Forrest Fenn is not Superman so stop being overwhelmed. And he’s not an architect, either. Grab his heels and bring him down to earth hard, so his teeth rattle, and look him in the eye. One of Life’s important lessons is learning to take people’s self-descriptions with a grain of salt. A salesman stands before you, plain and simple, but hang this sign around his neck: “Beware! I’m a sly salesman, and I want your money!” So be careful. He’ll smile and convince you to stand there peeling off a dozen Benjamins for a painting by an artist you’ve never heard of and make you feel special for doing it. “Thank you, Forrest! It’ll look great over the credenza in the foyer!”

What the salesman has written in his poem is a crossword puzzle. Here’s a typical clue you might see in a daily crossword: Ship that sank on its maiden voyage (7 letters). This is easy for most of us because it’s familiar and the Titanic is part of our common knowledge. But Forrest’s trick puts the Titanic into disguise with an unfamiliar context that transforms it into something unfamiliar, ambiguous, and a subject for endless debate. In the salesman’s words it becomes nearly undecipherable: a steel container easily penetrated by water. A sieve? A funnel? A rusty bucket? Good familiar choices, but not what the Puzzle Master intended. You’re thinking funnel, but the answer is Titanic. See how easy it is? Forrest isn’t smarter than us; he’s just had more practice at disguising things. It’s a craft that has taken many years to learn, master, and exploit.

This is why Forrest’s crossword puzzle clues are so hard. The steel container becomes a funnel in your mind because a funnel is familiar. ‘Where warm waters halt’ becomes a warm spring or a blending of rivers because these images popup easily. The home of Brown becomes a mountain cabin or Molly Brown’s house because your mind is on autofocus. These answers are rational but not correct. The bottom line is this: the steel container is not a funnel, and Molly’s house is not the home of Brown. The true answers to Forrest’s clues are familiar things that have gone through the mind of Puzzle Master and emerged with characteristics no funnel ever knew.

How do you go about deciphering these clues? Is there a formula? Are there key words that can be applied? Where the heck do you go for the translations to these clues?

Do you want an honest answer? A painful answer? I don’t know where YOU might go for the answers. Have you lived in one of the four magic states for the past 50 years? That would certainly help. Knowing the territory by living in the territory makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, what else is there to do? Well, how serious are you? Are you willing to pull up stakes and move to the mountain west? Some people say the treasure will not be found for many years. There may be time to move here and study the subject close up. Perhaps Santa Fe. Cody. Leadville. West Yellowstone. Gardiner. Denver. British Columbia. Alberta. Pick your favorite area and move there. Be close to your solution is the best advice I can offer. If you’re serious.

“Molly may have lived here but there is no address.
Warm waters halt here when it’s warm, but not for long.
The end is ever drawing nigh as you make progress.
Look quickly down and take the chest, and sing your victory song.”

01-02-2016, 08:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2016, 08:14 PM by Chris Yates.)
RE: Forrest Fenn's Crossword Puzzle
(01-02-2016, 07:29 PM)Larsonist Wrote: What the salesman has written in his poem is a crossword puzzle. Here’s a typical clue you might see in a daily crossword: Ship that sank on its maiden voyage (7 letters). This is easy for most of us because it’s familiar and the Titanic is part of our common knowledge. But Forrest’s trick puts the Titanic into disguise with an unfamiliar context that transforms it into something unfamiliar, ambiguous, and a subject for endless debate. In the salesman’s words it becomes nearly undecipherable: a steel container easily penetrated by water. A sieve? A funnel? A rusty bucket? Good familiar choices, but not what the Puzzle Master intended. You’re thinking funnel, but the answer is Titanic. See how easy it is? Forrest isn’t smarter than us; he’s just had more practice at disguising things. It’s a craft that has taken many years to learn, master, and exploit.

This is good thinking. I mean, the way you presented it, its right on

This is representing though, a lot of what is going on with very limited revelation of whats in the poem. And most discussions, the info brought forth is indeed very limited. Like what you are presenting here

What is missing is that there is much more in the poem than people are bringing out on the blogs. Like f said, what is being said on the blogs is not what is significant

….a steel container penetrated by water

person a and b are discussing this on the blogs, is it a bucket? Is it a water pipe?

Your example is spot on here. But here’s what they are missing. Using your example, the other information in the poem is …

British ship
Iceberg
Sank/sunk
Southampton
Edward Smith
RMS
MGY
Molly Brown

After uncovering this, you arent guessing that its referring to the Titanic. It is the Titanic. In fact it cant be anything other than the Titanic

And This is what i try to tell people about guessing. When you figure it out, it isnt guessing

A searcher who guesses through life is destined to carry a thin wallet.

01-02-2016, 08:19 PM,
(01-02-2016, 07:46 PM)mountain digger Wrote: lars,
I like the big print! And now I find out I'm looking for homes of Brown, not home of Brown? I just can't catch a break ... except for the big print! Smile

(01-02-2016, 08:03 PM)PL289 Wrote: I like the larger print too. I'd be ok if that was everyone's default size.

Yep, I like sitting back from the screen myself. Arms grow only so long and then you need a telescope. Perhaps admin could try a short-term experiment to see how larger print works. Most posts are not that long and would fit just fine. I use the larger print for two reasons: I like it better (duh), and I can spot my mistakes easier. But yes, I'd vote it the preferable default size for sure.
01-02-2016, 08:32 PM,
Alberta?
01-02-2016, 08:39 PM,
Good post, Lars.

I do differ with you on how useful it might be to live in one of the magic states. Aside from having a shorter drive to go searching, I don't see any evidence that Fennland residents have any kind of real advantage over the rest of us. Forrest wouldn't be foolish enough to make the clues especially recognizable to residents living near the area described in the poem. On the contrary, I suspect he would have done is best to obfuscate it from them especially.

mdavis19
01-02-2016, 08:41 PM,
(01-02-2016, 07:29 PM)Larsonist Wrote: January 02, 2016

Many people are stumped by Forrest Fenn’s poem. It contains mysterious locations: homes of Brown, warm waters that halt, ends that draw nigh. It’s almost as if he’s using a different language to describe things. Forrest himself declares it was constructed and written by an architect, and architecture can certainly seem mysterious to most of us. It is a specialized craft that requires several years to learn, master, and exploit.

Forrest’s clever claim is designed to overwhelm you into thinking the poem is a highly technical piece of work that defies your ability to understand it; he is telling you it is difficult, and you believe him. But is it difficult because Forrest says it is, or is it difficult because you’ve been tricked into believing it was written by a diabolical genius who can dominate you with his knowledge and manipulation of language? Does he have powers beyond those of mortal men? Is he Superman or is he simply wearing a red cape? “It’s not who you are, it’s who they think you are.” Forrest makes you think he’s a genius and that’s half the battle lost if you believe it.

Forrest Fenn is not Superman so stop being overwhelmed. And he’s not an architect, either. Grab his heels and bring him down to earth hard, so his teeth rattle, and look him in the eye. One of Life’s important lessons is learning to take people’s self-descriptions with a grain of salt. A salesman stands before you, plain and simple, but hang this sign around his neck: “Beware! I’m a sly salesman, and I want your money!” So be careful. He’ll smile and convince you to stand there peeling off a dozen Benjamins for a painting by an artist you’ve never heard of and make you feel special for doing it. “Thank you, Forrest! It’ll look great over the credenza in the foyer!”

What the salesman has written in his poem is a crossword puzzle. Here’s a typical clue you might see in a daily crossword: Ship that sank on its maiden voyage (7 letters). This is easy for most of us because it’s familiar and the Titanic is part of our common knowledge. But Forrest’s trick puts the Titanic into disguise with an unfamiliar context that transforms it into something unfamiliar, ambiguous, and a subject for endless debate. In the salesman’s words it becomes nearly undecipherable: a steel container easily penetrated by water. A sieve? A funnel? A rusty bucket? Good familiar choices, but not what the Puzzle Master intended. You’re thinking funnel, but the answer is Titanic. See how easy it is? Forrest isn’t smarter than us; he’s just had more practice at disguising things. It’s a craft that has taken many years to learn, master, and exploit.

This is why Forrest’s crossword puzzle clues are so hard. The Titanic becomes a funnel in your mind because a funnel is familiar. ‘Where warm waters halt’ becomes a warm spring or a blending of rivers because these images popup easily. The home of Brown becomes a mountain cabin or Molly Brown’s house because your mind is on autofocus. These answers are rational but not correct. The bottom line is this: the Titanic is not a funnel, and Molly’s house is not the home of Brown. The true answers to Forrest’s clues are familiar things that have gone through the mind of Puzzle Master and emerged with definitions that no funnel ever knew.

How do you go about deciphering these clues? Is there a formula? Are there key words that can be applied? Where the heck do you go for the translations to these clues?

Do you want an honest answer? A painful answer? I don’t know where YOU might go for the answers. Have you lived in one of the four magic states for the past 50 years? That would certainly help. Knowing the territory by living in the territory makes a lot of sense. Otherwise, what else is there to do? Well, how serious are you? Are you willing to pull up stakes and move to the mountain west? Some people say the treasure will not be found for many years. There may be time to move here and study the subject close up. Perhaps Santa Fe. Cody. Leadville. West Yellowstone. Gardiner. Denver. British Columbia. Alberta. Pick your favorite area and move there. Be close to your solution is the best advice I can offer. If you’re serious.

WOW .. Moving close to your search area could cost as much as what the treasure is worth. Maybe if a person could inherit property close they would be in good shape....LOL
01-02-2016, 08:45 PM,
(01-02-2016, 08:32 PM)3paulb Wrote: Alberta?

Lol, yes, i have a hard time convincing people that even though Canada is not the hiding place, two of its provinces---Alberta, British Columbia---border on Montana and could serve as starting places for the search---if they think the treasure is hidden in Montana. Forrest originally included Canada in his calculations because there are Rocky Mountains in Canada, but the publisher of TFTW screwed things up with the map and excised Canada like a dangerous tumor. Oh well. Smart searchers will understand why I mention Canada, smart searchers who use the two-state home of Brown solution.
01-02-2016, 08:56 PM,

This is why Forrest’s crossword puzzle clues are so hard. The Titanic becomes a funnel in your mind because a funnel is familiar. ‘Where warm waters halt’ becomes a warm spring or a blending of rivers because these images popup easily. The home of Brown becomes a mountain cabin or Molly Brown’s house because your mind is on autofocus. These answers are rational but not correct. The bottom line is this: the Titanic is not a funnel, and Molly’s house is not the home of Brown. The true answers to Forrest’s clues are familiar things that have gone through the mind of Puzzle Master and emerged with definitions that no funnel ever knew.

I could definitely handle living in Cody...Buffalo Bill Center of the West is there...That's reason enough...Oh, the history and research possible!...
01-02-2016, 09:27 PM,
(01-02-2016, 08:39 PM)mdavis19 Wrote: Good post, Lars.
I do differ with you on how useful it might be to live in one of the magic states. Aside from having a shorter drive to go searching, I don't see any evidence that Fennland residents have any kind of real advantage over the rest of us. Forrest wouldn't be foolish enough to make the clues especially recognizable to residents living near the area described in the poem. On the contrary, I suspect he would have done is best to obfuscate it from them especially.mdavis19

I understand your feelings about this. I'm torn between apologizing for having this attitude, yet being glad at having the dumb luck to live where I do (Albuquerque). Hell, I didn't choose this place, it was chosen for me in 1951. I was a boy scout. We did a lot of camping north of Albuquerque, fished a lot north of Santa Fe. I read a lot of newspapers and magazines, eaves-dropped on late-night news shows. Stuff just flowed in and I absorbed it. It wasn't stuff that necessarily aided the treasure hunt, but it didn't hurt either. I know what I know. Maybe it has helped me formulate a solution. It may be right, it may be wrong, but it's the only solution I've ever had, or will have, I promise you that.

Perhaps being one of the older searchers on this blog (66 come the 15th) has made me more Fenn-like in my wisdom, more wily and conniving in my imagination. Who knows. I don't talk to Forrest so he doesn't know what I know. I'm not counting any chickens, but you can't sit around these blogs for two years, with my background, and not develop some pertinent ideas. Ain't no way.
01-02-2016, 10:33 PM,

... is it difficult because Forrest says it is, or is it difficult because you’ve been tricked...

Nice thread.

Mr. Fenn eliminated many methods for solving the poem in SB 62. I believe crossword clues and anagrams remain possibilities that were never eliminated. I chose the latter, but I do not resist the possibility of the former. A puzzle properly solved is glorious. Anything less is a mess.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forrest Fenn: Our Modern Forrest Gump filmguy 7 2,021 05-22-2019, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Daniel A
  It's a cryptic crossword puzzle. Yes, all of it. flytomoon 2 1,410 08-02-2018, 10:08 PM
Last Post: 5GIRLS
  My Elegant Solution to Forrest Fenn’s Elegant Puzzle Jack 26 15,474 09-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Jack
  Cryptic Crossword experiments 12pm 39 20,806 06-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Ripsaw