Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ideas for the Search & Rescue team
01-18-2016, 04:06 PM,
RE: Ideas for the Search & Rescue team
I went skiing yesterday and some out of control moron ran into my young son at about 30 mph. Luckily, it was not a direct hit and only grazed him. It was inches from a direct hit and might have killed him.

On none of our searches has my kid ever been that close to a serious injury or death. Do we now stay home and do nothing to make sure he can't get hurt? But then at home you might die from carbon monoxide, a gas explosion, or even a tree falling onto your house.

I don't want anyone to die or get hurt, but we don't ban things because some people misuse or abuse the activities we love. Otherwise every thing I like would already be banned.
01-18-2016, 04:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-18-2016, 04:36 PM by illinoisghost.)
How about everyone work the best solve to the poem from the picture of the rainbow at buck an road and see if we can all come to an agreeable location

If he was following the poem I would say the stone water tank was his water high and the blaze may be some of the white ground formations. He might have used the canyon bellow as his drawing nigh.

[Image: dded72bc30291866fa1eae9a901962bb.jpg]
(YouTube Subscribe)
01-18-2016, 04:36 PM,
I'm strongly supporting a campaign to get Tomnod to open a search for Randy. There is so much searcher related expertise that can be put to good use without needing BOTG.

Anyone with a consistent & direct line to Forrest PLEASE ask him to consider talking to Tomnod directly. This situation is a perfect example of why the Tomnod service exists and it would be a shame not to tap that resource as quickly as possible.
01-18-2016, 04:49 PM,
Its premature to end the chase now. We know searchers are close and the only real danger is winter searching which F has gone out of his way to make clear is dangerous. There were close calls previously with searchers in Yellowstone almost getting killed in winter a couple of years ago and they were charged and banned from the park. To search in winter is suicide given all the inherent dangers.

How would you feel if he gave the closest searcher the chest? What if it was one of his bunnies? You would all be crying murder. You see F can't win this unless someone genuinely finds it through their own hard work. I can't speak for others but I want it found by someone who has put in the time and deserved it. If he hands it on a plate to someone its going to be so controversial. I want to see how the searcher solved it independently, what tricks or obstacles they overcame and how they outsmarted F along the way. The solution fascinates me but not as much as the story about how the finder found it. Im sure if F is telling the truth about how close people are then this thing will be over this year. I hope this summer so we dont have to endure more potential winter tragedies.

"Let me tell you something else. I've seen a lot of spinals solves, Dude, and this guy is a fake. A ****ing goldbricker." -Walter Sobchack
01-18-2016, 07:00 PM,
(01-18-2016, 04:49 PM)HarryFool Wrote: Its premature to end the chase now. We know searchers are close and the only real danger is winter searching which F has gone out of his way to make clear is dangerous. There were close calls previously with searchers in Yellowstone almost getting killed in winter a couple of years ago and they were charged and banned from the park. To search in winter is suicide given all the inherent dangers.

How would you feel if he gave the closest searcher the chest? What if it was one of his bunnies? You would all be crying murder. You see F can't win this unless someone genuinely finds it through their own hard work. I can't speak for others but I want it found by someone who has put in the time and deserved it. If he hands it on a plate to someone its going to be so controversial. I want to see how the searcher solved it independently, what tricks or obstacles they overcame and how they outsmarted F along the way. The solution fascinates me but not as much as the story about how the finder found it. Im sure if F is telling the truth about how close people are then this thing will be over this year. I hope this summer so we dont have to endure more potential winter tragedies.

I agree completely! I definately hope that they find Randy safe and sound, but to end the chase or even consider ending it because of this is silly! This is not the first time someone was in danger, and it won't be the last. People need to be prepared when they search, mistakes can happen, and the amount of experience someone has in the woods will help, but still not prevent injury or even death.

Bottom line: If you are not sure of your ability to handle the terrain/weather/wildlife/danger, do not go out alone!

Note: I'm not saying Randy is inexperienced, I do not know a thing about him, he may be an expert for all I know! I am simply saying ending the chase is stupid, and people need to be careful of what they do. People get lost and die every day, it happens, it will always happen. Put yourself in bad weather at a dangerous location and matters get even worse. Not to mention the fact that you are also placing un-needed risk for those involved in search and rescue, you could even be fined for it (ask the people who were rescued in Yellowstone).

(01-18-2016, 02:35 PM)djjmciv Wrote: He doesn't end it and someone dies.
That's on the both of them. The searchers ignorance and Fenn's arrogance.

That is the most stupid statement I have ever read! FF is in NO WAY responsible for the well being of ANY searcher! If someone goes out, slips on a rock and drowns or falls to their death, that is their own fault. Even if you think you are a mountain man, outdoorsman tough guy, accidents can and do happen every day! Once you put your boots on the ground, you are taking your own risks! Period!
01-18-2016, 07:20 PM,
The search for Randy has been canceled. Just watched the news it was announced . The State police don't believe he is alive. Please stay home and let's not compound problems by people who are not experienced making bad decisions .
Sorry if that's not what people want to hear.. Common sense needs to be used in searches. We all are responsible for our own choices.
Shhh they aren't listening.
01-18-2016, 07:55 PM,
Good advice Deb!

Some of the people over at Dal's make me laugh at their supidity! One guy actually said he seen someone moving near a raft by the river where they found the dog, this guy actually thinks Google Earth is a live satellite feed! This is exactly the type of person who should not be out and about in the wilderness!
01-18-2016, 08:19 PM,
(01-18-2016, 07:55 PM)Tony Wrote: Good advice Deb!

Some of the people over at Dal's make me laugh at their supidity! One guy actually said he seen someone moving near a raft by the river where they found the dog, this guy actually thinks Google Earth is a live satellite feed! This is exactly the type of person who should not be out and about in the wilderness!

You have a point Tony. But as a technical professional, the one invaluable thing I've learned is that there is ALWAYS someone with specialized knowledge that knows more than you do.

And if you don't let your professional ego get in the way, and bring them in to help, the results are wonderous.

Yes, Randy may not have survived. But he has grandchildren who very much want to know where he can be found. And other family that want him home, even if he isn't alive.
01-18-2016, 08:37 PM,
I spent the afternoon exploring the east bank with Gene. I can devote one more day to searching for Randy.

I have two competing theories for what happened. I'm assuming he is dead.

(1)He met his end in treasure hunting mode.
(2)He met his end in survival/self rescue mode.

If (1) I'd expect him to be on the west bank. If (2) I expect he died trying to scramble up from the river.
I understand that the west bank has been fairly thoroughly searched. I need to find out how throughly Frijoles has been searched. It has the most obvious "water high." It also has the advantage that while difficult it is imaginable that Fenn parked at Bandelier headquarters and hiked down canyon which was possible in 2010 (Not possible now.) and back twice in an afternoon. That rules out most of the other canyons, like Alamo. If (2) I'd go back to the east bank and scramble around in the terrain above the boat. I could not talk a climber friend into coming with me so I will not make the full descent into the canyon unless there is a route that doesn't appear on GE.
01-18-2016, 08:40 PM,
John - from the canyon edge could you estimate how effective SAR raft search was? Do you think the highest probability is at the water's edge?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yet another searcher needs rescue brubr 8 884 01-21-2020, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Bigsteve
  Fenn has never been to Rescue Creek? decall 2 1,664 02-24-2018, 12:28 AM
Last Post: decall
  The Delusional A Team abex 55 33,217 12-06-2016, 04:34 AM
Last Post: Mindy
  The Rescue Chopper and the Cable Cutter... glock20 41 28,906 10-23-2015, 08:33 PM
Last Post: glock20