Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancho Canyon Trail
01-24-2016, 08:47 AM,
Ancho Canyon Trail
Someone needs to check Ancho for Randy. I can't do it. I've been neglecting family. I didn't want to post this in the other thread because stuff is getting hard to follow there.

Here is what you have to do. 50 hikes in Los Alamos calls it "difficult." I did it carrying an infant in a backpack. My (ex)wife was with me and neither of us thought it too dangerous.

To do it you take SR 4 west (towards Bandelier) to DOE gate 4. Park and follow the power line to the canyon rim. Then find the trail down to the river.

Here are the 50 hikes in Los Alamos instructions with more detail for these two parts. https://www.losalamosnm.us/parks/trails/...202012.pdf

27. Powerline Mesa
Morning hike—2 miles one way. Easy

A wide open mesa with great views of the Jemez Mountains. From the intersection of SR 4 and Pajarito Road in White Rock, drive for 3.3 miles south (toward Bandelier). Park at Gate 4 on the left side of SR 4. Hike the dirt road 2 miles to the rim of White Rock Canyon overlooking the Rio Grande 1000 feet below. The road is level to the big power line, and not too steep climbing up to the rim. Joggers run from the big power line north to Potrillo Canyon (Hike 25) on a narrow, rocky little trail.

28. Ancho Rapid
Day hike—3.5 miles one way. Difficult
Take WATER. It is hot and dry in White Rock Canyon, but still a magical place. Ancho is the most challenging rapid on the old White Rock Canyon river run. Hike in on Powerline Mesa (Hike 27) about 1.5 miles from entrance Gate 4 to where a fainter road branches to the right and over to the canyon rim. Here, a trail descends through the loose pumice, rocky tuff, and hard basalt of the canyon wall to the rapid. From the rapid, old trails go downstream to Frijoles Canyon (no exit) or upstream to the Red Dot Trail (Hike 23). The trails are rough and become indistinct in either direction. It's best to climb back the way you came.
01-24-2016, 12:08 PM,
RE: Ancho Canyon Trail
Did You connect w Eugene on this? I think he and others were over there. I wonder if Randy could ever see himself as a blue dot in Google maps. If he couldn't, he might be anywhere, if he stuck to water, he'd be closer to where he wanted to be (except even then dry creeks can be hugely deceiving).

searchers should have Verizon instead of Sprint.
01-24-2016, 12:31 PM,
(01-24-2016, 08:47 AM)John Brown Wrote: Someone needs to check Ancho for Randy. I can't do it. I've been neglecting family. I didn't want to post this in the other thread because stuff is getting hard to follow there.

Here is what you have to do. 50 hikes in Los Alamos calls it "difficult." I did it carrying an infant in a backpack. My (ex)wife was with me and neither of us thought it too dangerous.

To do it you take SR 4 west (towards Bandelier) to DOE gate 4. Park and follow the power line to the canyon rim. Then find the trail down to the river.

Here are the 50 hikes in Los Alamos instructions with more detail for these two parts. https://www.losalamosnm.us/parks/trails/...202012.pdf

27. Powerline Mesa
28. Ancho Rapid

John, how much more difficult/dangerous will these hikes be with snow and ice on the ground? Will the turnoffs and other landmarks be visible?
01-24-2016, 01:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2016, 01:38 PM by Project Why.)
I may do that tomorrow if no one over at hoD is going to meet up at The Animal Shelter. My truck is in the shop for repairs at this current juncture, so I was just going to take my car to meet up with the team there and hopefully catch a ride with someone to the east rim where you've all been searching. I'd like to make it down to the raft and start from there. .....but, I might be more inclined towards the Ancho Canyon search if someone else wants to go. Maybe that whole group??

John, what about Chaquehui Canyon? Looks like it can be gotten to right off of SR 4? Have you been there before and how accessible in and out is it? I thought this could also be a good place to look as it could have been an exit out, but perhaps something happened while he was doing recon without the dog there? I'm thinking these are the main places now that need to be searched:

Lower Frijoles Canyon up to the falls; Since I haven't seen anything that says EXACTLY where or if it has been searched thoroughly.
Ancho Canyon
Chaquehui Canyon
And the canyon below where he took a selfie on the west side with the basalt field below him; Water Canyon? Or maybe it's just part of Ancho Canyon.

"But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." - Jules Winnfield
01-24-2016, 08:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2016, 08:51 PM by John Brown.)
(01-24-2016, 12:31 PM)Larsonist Wrote:
(01-24-2016, 08:47 AM)John Brown Wrote: Someone needs to check Ancho for Randy. I can't do it. I've been neglecting family. I didn't want to post this in the other thread because stuff is getting hard to follow there.

27. Powerline Mesa
28. Ancho Rapid

John, how much more difficult/dangerous will these hikes be with snow and ice on the ground? Will the turnoffs and other landmarks be visible?

I think it should be straightforward to follow the Ancho trail. Don't go off trail in there when you are up high. I haven't been there for a long time. Once I did it with an infant in a back pack on my back. The first time I did it I was with my brother-in-law who claims to suffer from "risk avoidance syndrome" and used to visit me for treatment. HE wasn't scared on that trail except for the rattle snake at the bottom. As far as snow and ice goes I'm hoping there won't be snow and ice. If there is and it looks like you could slip and fall in a bad place then don't do it. It only makes sense to search Ancho as a low cost target. Injury/fatality negates low cost.

(01-24-2016, 01:37 PM)Project Why Wrote: I may do that tomorrow if no one over at hoD is going to meet up at The Animal Shelter. My truck is in the shop for repairs at this current juncture, so I was just going to take my car to meet up with the team there and hopefully catch a ride with someone to the east rim where you've all been searching. I'd like to make it down to the raft and start from there. .....but, I might be more inclined towards the Ancho Canyon search if someone else wants to go. Maybe that whole group??

John, what about Chaquehui Canyon? Looks like it can be gotten to right off of SR 4? Have you been there before and how accessible in and out is it? I thought this could also be a good place to look as it could have been an exit out, but perhaps something happened while he was doing recon without the dog there? I'm thinking these are the main places now that need to be searched:

Lower Frijoles Canyon up to the falls; Since I haven't seen anything that says EXACTLY where or if it has been searched thoroughly.
Ancho Canyon
Chaquehui Canyon
And the canyon below where he took a selfie on the west side with the basalt field below him; Water Canyon? Or maybe it's just part of Ancho Canyon.

I've never been in Chaquehui. is it accessible? WHat was done in Frijoles is that the Bandelier people went there and found "human with small canine" tracks both into and out of lower Frijoles. I consider it searched for the time being. I mean maybe there is another track in. I don't know how to keep track of the tracks. I think it is difficult. SARs hasn't been able to confirm whether or not the size 12 track I found yesterday was theirs or not.

If Ancho is safe (no snow and ice in steep places) I think a small group can make it down and back in 4-5 hours. Do plan to be out before dark.

You know the old joke? Como esta frijoles? (trans. How you bean?)
01-26-2016, 09:06 AM,
We searched Ancho Canyon yesterday by helicopter. No sign of him. I will write something up about my view of this search as soon as possible.
01-26-2016, 09:21 AM,
(01-26-2016, 09:06 AM)John Brown Wrote: We searched Ancho Canyon yesterday by helicopter. No sign of him. I will write something up about my view of this search as soon as possible.

Thanks for all you're doing John. It's a complete mystery. At this point it sounds like he might really be under the ice at the lake, although with the reported shallowness and sand bars en route it somehow seems unlikely he would make it all the way there.

More and more I'm starting to feel like he became separated from the raft a great distance north of Frijoles. Maybe the raft got stuck and he had to get out and push it. Maybe the raft started drifted away while he was standing in the mud and he couldn't catch up with it. Or maybe he had issues with rocks even before Ancho rapids.

Maybe it was a spot like this:
http://www.google.com/maps/@35.7843544,-...a=!3m1!1e3

Or this:
http://www.google.com/maps/@35.780614,-1...a=!3m1!1e3

Or this:
http://www.google.com/maps/@35.7696522,-...a=!3m1!1e3
01-27-2016, 02:31 AM,
(01-26-2016, 09:06 AM)John Brown Wrote: We searched Ancho Canyon yesterday by helicopter. No sign of him. I will write something up about my view of this search as soon as possible.

Well, along with my search, it's been covered pretty good then. But, there are many places a body can hide in this type of landscape. It's hard to rule out some places completely. But eventually, we may have to let go................. Sometimes missing people and things have to turn up through time and their own way. Sometimes they never do.

"But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." - Jules Winnfield
01-27-2016, 08:44 AM,
(01-26-2016, 09:21 AM)MartinS Wrote:

Thanks for all you're doing John. It's a complete mystery. At this point it sounds like he might really be under the ice at the lake, although with the reported shallowness and sand bars en route it somehow seems unlikely he would make it all the way there.

More and more I'm starting to feel like he became separated from the raft a great distance north of Frijoles. Maybe the raft got stuck and he had to get out and push it. Maybe the raft started drifted away while he was standing in the mud and he couldn't catch up with it. Or maybe he had issues with rocks even before Ancho rapids.

Maybe it was a spot like this:
http://www.google.com/maps/@35.7843544,-...a=!3m1!1e3

Or this:
http://www.google.com/maps/@35.780614,-1...a=!3m1!1e3

Or this:
http://www.google.com/maps/@35.7696522,-...a=!3m1!1e3

The problem with those google maps photos is you have no real idea when they were taken and what the river looks like today could be very different.
01-27-2016, 05:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2016, 05:41 PM by John Brown.)
(01-27-2016, 02:31 AM)Project Why Wrote:

Well, along with my search, it's been covered pretty good then. But, there are many places a body can hide in this type of landscape. It's hard to rule out some places completely. But eventually, we may have to let go................. Sometimes missing people and things have to turn up through time and their own way. Sometimes they never do.

Thanks! I just saw this. "It's hard to rule out some places completely." yes.

(01-27-2016, 02:31 AM)Project Why Wrote:

was that trail as insane as it looked from the helicopter? I looked at that andthought "dayum. me and the X carried our kids down that? WTF were we thinking???" But when we did it 20+ years ago, it didn't seem like a big deal.