Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not far, but too far to walk
03-07-2016, 09:03 PM,
RE: Not far, but too far to walk
(03-07-2016, 04:06 PM)Hammertime Wrote: I just think that "Not far, but too far" is a clue in itself. I think it is one or two of the 9 clues.
Not 4 but 24.
or 44 as in two 4's.

Here's a couple "242 walks"

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lolo/recr...4&actid=50

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/santafe/r...6&actid=50
03-08-2016, 04:07 PM,
I can also mean time, like as in baseball, too far too walk, it's not far but you have to run because if you don't , you're out. ( also eluded to in the word WALK)
03-08-2016, 04:17 PM,
(03-07-2016, 05:55 PM)muset Wrote:
(02-29-2016, 08:37 PM)pconnors Wrote: I've never liked the idea of "too far to walk" being some sort of an arbitrary distance (like 10 miles, etc). There's just too much variation when it comes to the level of confidence you need to find the treasure. So, I got to thinking, logically, about what kind of scenarios occur where something is physically not far, but too far to walk. So far I've come up with:

* A waterfall - Imagine a waterfall that goes down 200 feet. That's not far at all (200 feet), but it's too far to walk since it's straight down.

* A tunnel - While a road tunnel can be walked, it's probably not the case with a train tunnel (at least safely). There's other kind of tunnels too. It's not hard to imagine a tunnel in the rockies that is not very long, but, since it passes under some very high peaks and rough terrain, it would be "too far to walk". Perhaps a place where "Warm Waters" enter a tunnel of some sort?

* An arbitrary boundary of some sort - Example: The border of a national park, or a latitude/longitude line. Again, it's possible for one of these to be "not far" in an "as the crow flies" sense of the word, but be too far to walk due to the difficulty of the terrain, etc.

* Under Water - Distances can be "not far" under water, but I would argue that just about any distance under water is "too far to walk".

Curious if anyone else thinks of other scenarios?

Yes.

In the Preface to TFTW, Forrest talks about taking out a Dinghy near West Yellowstone and fishing downstream to Baker's Hole. He not longer does that because he says that it is too far to walk. I think he means the trip back with the deflated dinghy in his backpack from Baker's Hole back to West Yellowstone is too far for him to walk now.

The implied clue might be about the mode of transport rather than the distance.

Muset....I believe that it is both a mode of transportation and a distance. But I also think distance as measured in time.
03-08-2016, 04:28 PM,
(03-08-2016, 04:07 PM)true north Wrote: I can also mean time, like as in baseball, too far too walk, it's not far but you have to run because if you don't , you're out. ( also eluded to in the word WALK)

So maybe 5 balls? or..... two and a half men. Lol thats it! wasnt there a SB or somthing about ashton kutcher and him having fenn on his instagram?
03-08-2016, 04:37 PM,
(03-08-2016, 04:28 PM)Hammertime Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 04:07 PM)true north Wrote: I can also mean time, like as in baseball, too far too walk, it's not far but you have to run because if you don't , you're out. ( also eluded to in the word WALK)

So maybe 5 balls? or..... two and a half men. Lol thats it! wasnt there a SB or somthing about ashton kutcher and him having fenn on his instagram?

Haha, I don't remember that one, but it could just mean a name of a place. Like Thief's Nest which means "stealing home "
03-08-2016, 05:01 PM,
(03-08-2016, 03:53 PM)RedneckExpress Wrote: Or in 'redneck speak' - I think y'all are onto what NFBTFTW really means with one of the statements published somewhere right here in this thread maybe, I dunno...

i would guess you mean this

(03-07-2016, 05:55 PM)muset Wrote: The implied clue might be about the mode of transport rather than the distance.
03-08-2016, 07:35 PM,
(03-08-2016, 04:17 PM)Bet Wrote: Muset....I believe that it is both a mode of transportation and a distance. But I also think distance as measured in time.

Sure, I agree with that Bet.

And to take it further, it says to me that the 2nd clue is a two-liner:

And take it [a dinghy] in the canyon down
not far but too far to walk [back to your car]

Maybe some clues are one-liners and others are two-liners.
03-08-2016, 09:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2016, 09:29 PM by musstag.)
Shoot... I guess ignorance is bliss. I never thought it anything but a clue.

But now I see that it can be a clue as well as a clue. <---that sounds dumb
03-10-2016, 06:49 PM,
Thank you for sharing. I really like this poem.
08-18-2019, 09:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2019, 09:09 AM by mrknow.)
Hammertime, I'm just getting back into the Chase after a couple years off. I've been hunting since the beginning. I think Not 4 but 24 is precisely correct. And leave my trove 4 all 2 seek confirms how it's hidden.
It's all old theories but they still prove to be good ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  clomp- to walk with loud, heavy steps/walk with a heavy tread. Gordon Lightfoot 8 1,074 02-14-2019, 06:25 AM
Last Post: easternOHsteve