Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Maps and Property Owners
09-20-2013, 07:55 PM,
Someone on another thread said it would be logical for FF to have placed the chest on some property he controls though another name. That, seeing a sign at the COAS Bookstore in Las Cruces promoting their wide collection of topo maps, (not to mention our total lack of "spot" ideas) got me to thinking...

So, you've come up with a "spot." You want to find out who owns that property, such as an inholding in a National Forest. Property records are generally kept at the county level, but most counties, I would think, have platbooks (maps) for sale showing ownership of each property. So buy a book from each county you're convinced holds the treasure.

But wait, that doesn't help if you don't know who "Brownhome LLC" is. This info is generally available from the corporations office in the state where the entity is incorporated. An on-line search may help narrow this down. The corporations office would likely also have the registered agent and principal officers listed.

With this information you can spend a lot of time and money over the winter - on another wild goose chase. Sorry I brought it up.
09-20-2013, 08:13 PM,
What's an "inholding?"

Do you know what purple means on a USGS map? What is the difference between BLM and national forest land?
09-20-2013, 08:33 PM,
Inholding is privately owned land within a forest, park, etc. Can't help you with the color coding on maps.
09-20-2013, 08:59 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from John Brown on September 20, 2013, 9:13 pm</b>

What's an "inholding?"

Do you know what purple means on a USGS map? What is the difference between BLM and national forest land?
</div>

I spilled my drink while stealing a peek at your secret spot... sorry.
09-21-2013, 07:11 AM,

<b>Quote from Seeker on September 20, 2013, 9:59 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from John Brown on September 20, 2013, 9:13 pm</b>

What's an "inholding?"

</div>

I spilled my drink while stealing a peek at your secret spot... sorry.</div>
</div>

Heh. I think it represents "inholdings." I guess it is gray, not purple. Here's my secret spot!!! Ready set go!

[Image: h943v-IMG_0004.JPG]

googling for "inholdings" led to this: http://topomaps.usgs.gov/images/drg_stnd_250.gif

09-21-2013, 07:43 AM,
I went through a similar exercise earlier this summer. After many phone calls to the MANY overlapping Gov offices, I was amazed to discover how undefined something so simple really is, and how many phone circles you must endure (back where you started). I finally found the best resource for information about private land ownership (within fed boundaries) was the county assessor. For me, the county assessor gave me everything I needed.
09-21-2013, 11:53 AM,
HI all...Mr. Fenn was careful and tried to think of everything...He hid the box on public land just as he did with his bells, "Some may be on land owned by the American people but tended by the BLM." So is his trove! Bet on it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fenn said not to Trespass on to Private Property... Gordon Lightfoot 1 1,058 04-03-2018, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Gordon Lightfoot
  Types of Property monkeyking 6 2,168 04-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Surf
  Marital property Minnie Eftskin 11 3,174 02-02-2018, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Gordon Lightfoot
  Free to download: Rocky Mountain Maps & Yellowstone Maps Desertphile 2 2,140 03-26-2017, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Urban_Archaeologist
  Could the chest be on property he owns? Tony 13 9,903 08-24-2016, 02:32 PM
Last Post: liv42dy
  TTOTC is about maps. These maps are interesting. Buddy Allen 3 2,301 04-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Mindy