Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you think we cant fully crack Mr.Fenns poem
11-08-2013, 06:37 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from JJ on November 8, 2013, 8:52 am</b> I believe the first clue gives you the state and town you will begin.
</div>

Golly, I cannot see that anywhere. As far as I can see in the poem, the start of the trip to the treasure is no where near a town.
11-08-2013, 06:41 PM,

<b>Quote from Desertphile on November 8, 2013, 6:37 pm</b>

As far as I can see in the poem, the start of the trip to the treasure is no where near a town.
</div>

Dude! Are you lookin' through my eyeballs again??? I hate it when you do that. It's John Malkovichy.
11-08-2013, 06:43 PM,

<b>Quote from admin on November 8, 2013, 11:22 am</b>

Was just looking if any of the towns start with the word Old and they were talking about settlements. Is that the same term used for a town in New Mexico?
</div>

Not that I am aware of.
11-08-2013, 07:19 PM,

<b>Quote from John Brown on November 8, 2013, 6:41 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">

As far as I can see in the poem, the start of the trip to the treasure is no where near a town.
</div>

Dude! Are you lookin' through my eyeballs again??? I hate it when you do that. It's John Malkovichy.</div>
</div>

Heh! Actually I need to thank you for looking in all of the places you have loo90ked, so that I don't have to. Thank you, thank you. Now I'll go look at the one last place you didn't look. :-)
11-09-2013, 12:23 PM,
Back to the question at hand. I was reading about the Masquerade; written and illustrated by Kit Williams. In short, it was a treasure hunt in Great Britain. The quote below is from Bamber Gascoigne who wrote a book and this summarizes his experience. Can we learn anything from it?

<b><i>"Tens of thousands of letters from Masqueraders have convinced me that the human mind has an equal capacity for pattern-matching and self-deception. While some addicts were busy cooking the riddle, others were more single-mindedly continuing their own pursuit of the hare quite regardless of the news that it had been found. Their own theories had come to seem so convincing that no exterior evidence could refute them. These most determined of Masqueraders may grudgingly have accepted that a hare of some sort was dug up at Ampthill, but they believed there would be another hare, or a better solution, awaiting them at their favourite spot. Kit would expect them to continue undismayed by the much publicised diversion at Ampthill and would be looking forward to the day when he would greet them as the real discoverers of the real puzzle of Masquerade. Optimistic expeditions were still setting out, with shovels and maps, throughout the summer of 1982."</i></b>
11-09-2013, 01:03 PM,

<b>Quote from Desertphile on November 8, 2013, 7:19 pm</b>
<b>Quote from John Brown on November 8, 2013, 6:41 pm</b>

</div>

Dude! Are you lookin' through my eyeballs again??? I hate it when you do that. It's John Malkovichy.</div>
</div>

Heh! Actually I need to thank you for looking in all of the places you have loo90ked, so that I don't have to. Thank you, thank you. Now I'll go look at the one last place you didn't look. :-)</div>
</div>

I haven't found the place I've been looking for, but I've had a lot of fun not finding it.
11-09-2013, 01:22 PM,
@ Ricky, masquerade gave the longitude and lattitude. Mr. Fenn has said "the poem is straight forward, no games". I take that to mean that we take the poem at face value, exactly as it's written, no codes, anagrams, coordinates, ect.
11-09-2013, 02:00 PM,
Masquerade did NOT give longitude and latitude. That's what I tried and failed miserably. I was spectacularly wrong that I was chosen to be a part of the BBC radio anniversary program a year or so ago, there are a lot of info out there about how this was supposed to be solved which actually was done by a couple of Math teachers. However they were beaten to the prize by the mysterious Ken Thomas. I am so glad that Mr Fenn has not not shared the location with anyone. That was the downfall of Masquerade.
11-09-2013, 02:04 PM,

<b>Quote from James Perotti on November 9, 2013, 1:22 pm</b>

@ Ricky, masquerade gave the longitude and lattitude. Mr. Fenn has said "the poem is straight forward, no games". I take that to mean that we take the poem at face value, exactly as it's written, no codes, anagrams, coordinates, ect.
</div>

I agree about codes, anagrams, and coordinates except for one thing; if you take it completely "straight" then there is no way that the poem takes you to a single specific location. If it did, we'd all be standing at that location scratching our heads. Yesterday Clinger articulated what I will call the "key theory." I don't remember what thread it was in, but I saved it.

<b>Quote from clinger on October 10, 2013, 6:28 pm</b>

The reason it hasn't been cracked is because no one has yet hit upon the key. It might be a book, a place, an ancient artifact, a piece of art, ect. Once someone has Fenn's key or Rosetta stone the poem will make sense & someone will walk to the treasure with confidence.

My 2cents.
</div>
In that same thread JJ wrote:

<b> Quote from JJ on November 7, 2013, 10:33 pm </b>

In an email Forrest told me it took a key and not a combination for whatever that is worth.
</div>

If the poem requires a "key" in order to crack it, is it still "straight forward?" I don't claim to have an answer to that but I guess I think it is not exactly straightforward. It introduces a new problem which is linking the key to the poem and/or book(s). It happens that I've used the key theory from very early on in my search. The reason I subscribe to a key is that I think it is simply impossible that the poem leads to a unique physical location without there being something additional to guide you for the reason stated above. I do consider myself a poem "fundamentalist" and claim that I interpret it "literally" but as we've noted before what "literally" means is pretty much up for grabs. If I'm a Baptist, my buddy is a 7th Day Adventist (who I assume are more fundamentalist than Baptist, at least that's what I mean here). He disdains my key and thinks the poem is nothing more than the physical description of a unique physical location. We each think the other is nuts.
11-09-2013, 04:22 PM,

<b>Quote from admin on November 9, 2013, 4:03 pm</b>

I don't see how you can use the word precise if it isn't numbers and a key. Is straightforward to him, possibly numbers? I don't know....
</div>

Meet me at the front door of the Round House.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hairy's Crack Lounge, Open 24 Hours crazyfamily 414 41,177 09-17-2019, 02:20 AM
Last Post: fallingrock