Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stretching Forrest's Tangent
05-08-2016, 03:19 PM,
Stretching Forrest's Tangent
”I was very careful not to say I needed to be correct only 85% of the time. Read it again, middle of page 14. It doesn’t help to stretch a tangent.” ff

A straight line is composed of an infinite number of points with zero curvature. A straight line is an infinite structure and has no beginning or end. Its length cannot be changed.

Forrest’s book, The Thrill of the Chase, can be taken as his memoir, his alpha and omega, his circle of life. When a straight line touches a circle it forms a tangent. This is the mathematical definition. Forrest’s life was touched by many people---many straight lines.

Why did the straight line cross the curve? So it could become a tangent.

Another use of tangent refers to ideas. A new idea can spring from an old idea and be called a tangent. ‘I gave a presentation on tree ring dating but follow-up questions led to tangents on crop circles.’

Forrest’s life has been touched by many people---by many straight lines. These tangents became the stories in his memoir. Some of these stories may be 100% true. Others may fall short. But we can’t put our own interpretation on them and try to make them mean something other than what they appear. You must take them at face value because this is the value given to them by the author. You can’t stretch a tangent. It simply is what it is. But sometimes less.
05-08-2016, 03:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016, 03:34 PM by krootz.)
RE: Stretching Forrest's Tangent
Nice interpretation, based on this statement and others Forrest has made such as "The poem must be followed in a contiguous fashion" I really think many try to over imagine a solution from the words given in the poem. To me it tells a story in a very linear fashion, albeit the first stanza seems to start at the end of the journey. He says hes gone alone in there, he keeps his secret where there are past treasures (unknown to us, could be memories, could be past physical treasures such as the Turquoise Bracelet in Mesa Verde) and new (unfound, Forrests treasure presumably).

It then breaks down to a very linear start where warm waters halt, take it in a canyon down, too far to walk, put something in below the home of Brown. To me this seems to be a boat, and the heavy loads and water high implying rapids, and no paddle up your creek a downstream trajectory.

Just my opinion anyway, nice thoughts Larsonist.
05-08-2016, 03:36 PM,
Only those straight lines that touch a circle at precisely a single point are tangent to the circle. A tangent line just kisses the circle but doesn't intersect it at two distinct points.
05-08-2016, 03:41 PM,
(05-08-2016, 03:19 PM)Larsonist Wrote: ”I was very careful not to say I needed to be correct only 85% of the time. Read it again, middle of page 14. It doesn’t help to stretch a tangent.” ff

A straight line is composed of an infinite number of points with zero curvature. A straight line is an infinite structure and has no beginning or end. Its length cannot be changed.

Forrest’s book, The Thrill of the Chase, can be taken as his memoir, his alpha and omega, his circle of life. When a straight line touches a circle it forms a tangent. This is the mathematical definition. Forrest’s life was touched by many people---many straight lines.

Why did the straight line cross the curve? So it could become a tangent.

Another use of tangent refers to ideas. A new idea can spring from an old idea and be called a tangent. ‘I gave a presentation on tree ring dating but follow-up questions led to tangents on crop circles.’

Forrest’s life has been touched by many people---by many straight lines. These tangents became the stories in his memoir. Some of these stories may be 100% true. Others may fall short. But we can’t put our own interpretation on them and try to make them mean something other than what they appear. You must take them at face value because this is the value given to them by the author. You can’t stretch a tangent. It simply is what it is. But sometimes less.

Great post Prof. L
05-08-2016, 03:54 PM,
(05-08-2016, 03:36 PM)John Brown Wrote: Only those straight lines that touch a circle at precisely a single point are tangent to the circle. A tangent line just kisses the circle but doesn't intersect it at two distinct points.

You are absolutely correct, John. Also, a tangent CAN be stretched, as long as you want it to go. It is just a straight line. Forrest said that IT doesn't help to stretch a tangent. But what is IT? Only a few know the answer.
05-08-2016, 05:36 PM,
(05-08-2016, 04:17 PM)Razorback Wrote: I know I should just stand back and watch you make a mistake, but I can't. The turquoise for Fenn's bracelet didn't come from Mesa Verde. It came from somewhere else. The date that Fenn says the turquoise was found was 1898. Wetherill wasn't at Mesa Verde in 1898. It probably doesn't make any difference, but it could.

Are you sure the bracelet didn't come from Mesa Verde? Wetherill was still in Mancos in the spring of 1898. He moved to Chaco for good later that year.
05-08-2016, 06:09 PM,
Most intelligent thing that I've seen that you've written, did someone hack your account?
05-08-2016, 06:11 PM,
(05-08-2016, 06:09 PM)The Count Wrote: Most intelligent thing that I've seen that you've written, did someone hack your account?

My five year old got ahold of my laptop and started messing around.
05-08-2016, 07:09 PM,
(05-08-2016, 05:36 PM)John Brown Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 04:17 PM)Razorback Wrote: I know I should just stand back and watch you make a mistake, but I can't. The turquoise for Fenn's bracelet didn't come from Mesa Verde. It came from somewhere else. The date that Fenn says the turquoise was found was 1898. Wetherill wasn't at Mesa Verde in 1898. It probably doesn't make any difference, but it could.

Are you sure the bracelet didn't come from Mesa Verde? Wetherill was still in Mancos in the spring of 1898. He moved to Chaco for good later that year.

Thanks for clarifying, I double checked the facts too and Mesa Verde was discovered well before 1898 by fur trappers and the Wetherill's, I'm not sure the origin of the Bracelet matters a ton but most sources I found do state Mesa Verde.
05-08-2016, 07:31 PM,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQlByoPdG6c

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's unwise to stretch a tangent mrmagicarovrumrebel 8 2,569 02-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Jack