Not logged in. Login - Register


All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Only one
05-18-2016, 09:59 PM,
#11
RE: Only one
Romeo, as usual you remind us of boundaries and blunders. So it will be. Sometimes people with eagle eyes can't see anything at all anyway. The clock ticks for all of us.
Reply
05-18-2016, 10:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2016, 10:42 PM by romeofoxtrot.)
#12
RE: Only one
(05-18-2016, 09:59 PM)HollyfromMN Wrote: Romeo, as usual you remind us of boundaries and blunders. So it will be. Sometimes people with eagle eyes can't see anything at all anyway. The clock ticks for all of us.
Im certainly not attempting to dissuade others. Or point out blunders, we all stumble. If I were a man made of a limitless pot of cash, I wouldnt have any issue pursuing this for the rest of my life just for entertainment, if thats what it took. Had I known of this chase back in 2010, things would be different.

If the chest is something that wont be stumbled upon, then a full solve is required. If it took Fenn 15 years to craft, its not intended to wing it on a few clues. My current solve feels like it would meet that criteria, but so did everyone elses before they searched and came up empty. And if this solve is fruitless, I dont have another thats even close. Just being a realist.
Reply
05-18-2016, 10:40 PM,
#13
RE: Only one
Well I pity you Romeo for not having the correct location. Good luck to you.
Reply
05-18-2016, 10:44 PM,
#14
RE: Only one
(05-18-2016, 10:40 PM)HollyfromMN Wrote: Well I pity you Romeo for not having the correct location. Good luck to you.
No pity necessary. I may have something, I may not. But you wont catch me around here in 2020 still looking(unless I stumble upon a money tree that allows me to retire!). Even then, pity not desired.
Reply
05-18-2016, 11:09 PM,
#15
RE: Only one
(05-18-2016, 07:39 PM)romeofoxtrot Wrote: Ive noticed when folks come up empty, having not found the chest, they will abandon the solve and go back to the drawing board.

That can only mean the solve was not very solid in the first place.

Should my solve not pan out, and the probabilities are it will not, Im done. I do not believe I will be able to find in another solve what I have found with this one. Before I put BoTG, Ive spent the last few months trying to 1) Disprove this solve, and 2) Find a more convincing solve. To be honest, I havent found a compelling first clue in another solve. So, if I am wrong, and likely I am, there is no hope for me in another solve.

At some point this year, I will put this solve to the test.

My point is, if it fails there wont be another for me.

Is it the same for you? Or are you in it for the long haul?

Long haul. That is the whole point of this. Most people just don't realize it. One and done most likely won't ever succeed. Quitters certainly won't.

My own experience is that BOTG will either almost immediately invalidate your solution 90% of the time, or leave you thinking it might still be valid, but you missed something, and it needs more work, the other 10% of the time. BOTG really sorts the utter crap from the real possibilities. Conditions on the ground are almost never what you think they will be based on maps and Google Earth.

mdavis19
Reply
05-18-2016, 11:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2016, 11:29 PM by romeofoxtrot.)
#16
RE: Only one
(05-18-2016, 11:09 PM)mdavis19 Wrote: Long haul. That is the whole point of this. Most people just don't realize it. One and done most likely won't ever succeed. Quitters certainly won't.

My own experience is that BOTG will either almost immediately invalidate your solution 90% of the time, or leave you thinking it might still be valid, but you missed something, and it needs more work, the other 10% of the time. BOTG really sorts the utter crap from the real possibilities. Conditions on the ground are almost never what you think they will be based on maps and Google Earth.

mdavis19

I agree with some of this. BoTG is a reality check to the vastness of an area that looks smaller on Google Earth. A solve that needs a little work isnt really what Im talking about. If I find that my solve is a dud...You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them. This is a game of poker Smile

The fact is, there will be only one among us(now or in the future) that succeeds. So all of us wont ever succeed, except one. At some point the vast majority will move on. Call that quitting, or whatever. This chase has a lifespan. If I dont have a solve worth pursuing, its time to move on. There are just too many things worth pursuing in life, that I wont focus on only one forever. Not even Fenn would do that(whatd he say, 15 years?).
Reply
05-18-2016, 11:35 PM,
#17
RE: Only one
(05-18-2016, 11:29 PM)romeofoxtrot Wrote:
(05-18-2016, 11:09 PM)mdavis19 Wrote: Long haul. That is the whole point of this. Most people just don't realize it. One and done most likely won't ever succeed. Quitters certainly won't.

My own experience is that BOTG will either almost immediately invalidate your solution 90% of the time, or leave you thinking it might still be valid, but you missed something, and it needs more work, the other 10% of the time. BOTG really sorts the utter crap from the real possibilities. Conditions on the ground are almost never what you think they will be based on maps and Google Earth.

mdavis19

I agree with some of this. BoTG is a reality check to the vastness of an area that looks smaller on Google Earth. A solve that needs a little work isnt really what Im talking about. If I find that my solve is a dud...You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them. This is a game of poker Smile

The fact is, there will be only one among us(now or in the future) that succeeds. So all of us wont ever succeed, except one. At some point the vast majority will move on. Call that quitting, or whatever. This chase has a lifespan. If I dont have a solve worth pursuing, its time to move on. There are just too many things worth pursuing in life, that I wont focus on only one forever. Not even Fenn would do that(whatd he say, 15 years?).
Romeo,
You don't seem to understand what the chase is about, it's adventures, and that's something Fenn has pursued all his life. I hope you have a adventure on you trip because it's very unlikely you will find the chest and that's all you'll have.
Reply
05-18-2016, 11:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2016, 11:50 PM by romeofoxtrot.)
#18
RE: Only one
(05-18-2016, 11:35 PM)The Count Wrote: Romeo,
You don't seem to understand what the chase is about, it's adventures, and that's something Fenn has pursued all his life. I hope you have a adventure on you trip because it's very unlikely you will find the chest and that's all you'll have.
I appreciate the explanation. I have my own chase to follow, in my own life. I fully understand what Fenns chase is about, and have no problem reading and following some of his adventures. There is a thrill to them, as there are to my own. And I will have had fun and memories following Fenns chase, whether I find the chest or not. But even Fenn, on his own chase in his own life knew there would come a time to fold up shop, and almost did with Fenn Gallery had the advertising not panned out. He would have moved on to other fruitful endeavors. He is imparting that to us.

The point of the book, in my opinion, is to get people to put some thrill in their lives. Whether following Fenns lead, or your own. You better grab the bananas when you have the chance, the train only goes by once.
Reply
05-19-2016, 07:23 AM,
#19
RE: Only one
(05-18-2016, 11:50 PM)romeofoxtrot Wrote: The point of the book, in my opinion, is to get people to put some thrill in their lives. Whether following Fenns lead, or your own. You better grab the bananas when you have the chance, the train only goes by once.

My sentiments exactly. I don't think ff would care what chase you're on as long as you're on a chase. (and I'm not spelling it chaise. Wink)
________________________________________________________
We were made to participate in real life; not to be passive observers of another's imagination communicated through advanced technology.
Reply
05-19-2016, 07:37 AM,
#20
RE: Only one
(05-18-2016, 11:29 PM)romeofoxtrot Wrote:
(05-18-2016, 11:09 PM)mdavis19 Wrote: Long haul. That is the whole point of this. Most people just don't realize it. One and done most likely won't ever succeed. Quitters certainly won't.

My own experience is that BOTG will either almost immediately invalidate your solution 90% of the time, or leave you thinking it might still be valid, but you missed something, and it needs more work, the other 10% of the time. BOTG really sorts the utter crap from the real possibilities. Conditions on the ground are almost never what you think they will be based on maps and Google Earth.

mdavis19

I agree with some of this. BoTG is a reality check to the vastness of an area that looks smaller on Google Earth. A solve that needs a little work isnt really what Im talking about. If I find that my solve is a dud...You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them. This is a game of poker Smile

The fact is, there will be only one among us(now or in the future) that succeeds. So all of us wont ever succeed, except one. At some point the vast majority will move on. Call that quitting, or whatever. This chase has a lifespan. If I dont have a solve worth pursuing, its time to move on. There are just too many things worth pursuing in life, that I wont focus on only one forever. Not even Fenn would do that(whatd he say, 15 years?).

Giving up after one failure is the surest way to never find the treasure, aside from never trying at all of course. This is definitely a long-haul process. You can't let it take over your life though like some have done to their detriment. This is meant to be fun. Bankruptcy and single-minded obsession aren't my ideas of fun. A person could easily spend more money looking for the treasure than they could ever recoup on the off chance they actually find it (and at least a couple probably have). Moderation, and much thought before acting are what is required.

The chase almost seems tailor made for me. I have been going into the Rocky Mountains looking for adventures several times per year for most of my adult life. I started doing it a couple of decades before ever hearing the name Forrest Fenn. I'll probably still be doing it as long as I am physically able, no matter the outcome of the chase. Since I am out there a couple times a year anyway, treasure hunting just gets added to my itinerary. No extra real expenses are involved, and my solutions give me reasons to go to areas I might not have considered visiting before, and experiencing new things. So there's no need or desire for me to give up after only one trip, or even after N number of trips. I'm going to be back in the area again in a few months anyway. If I have a fresh idea, I act on it. If not, I just carry on with my usual adventure seeking and recreating that I was going to do anyway.

My own opinion (and going on 6 years of experience) is that there is no rush. This is a long-haul game Fenn is playing with us. So I don't waste money making special trips just to search for the treasure. It can wait until the next time I am going to be out there anyway. And I have plenty of time between trips to think about the puzzle, and not go off half cocked.

mdavis19
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Contact Us | ChaseChat - Forrest Fenn's Forum | Return to Top | | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication