Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spanish Lessons and the rule of 2s
05-26-2016, 08:22 PM,
Spanish Lessons and the rule of 2s
I remember my first 'Aha' moment in the chase. I saw the map from TFTW for the first time, and it reminded me of the map from the movie Goonies.

I remembered that those kids had to translate that map from Spanish to English. I thought, "What if I translated from English to Spanish?"

I did this with warm waters, and as most people know, it comes out to Agua Caliente. You may or may not know that there is a place in New Mexico named Agua Caliente Canyon, which also happens to be just South of Taos.

Now, this doesn't mean that Agua Caliente is actually WWWH. But, then, I thought about trying the same thing with more words in the poem. I wasn't able to find another direct translation......however....

Just heavy loads and water high

We have talked about the use of synonyms before. In this case, I realized that water high could actually mean Rio Arriba, because rio=river and arriba=up and 'river up' could be water high.

Well, that is quite a coincidence, especially considering that Agua Caliente Canyon is in Taos county, and just a couple of miles South is Rio Arriba county.

Pretending that I am correct, this is how I learned the rule of twos. If Forrest does something in the poem once, then he does it twice. If you used a method once to decipher a clue, then chances are, you need another clue to be deciphered the same way.
05-27-2016, 04:32 AM,
RE: Spanish Lessons and the rule of 2s
(05-26-2016, 08:22 PM)JamLady Wrote: I remember my first 'Aha' moment in the chase. I saw the map from TFTW for the first time, and it reminded me of the map from the movie Goonies.

I remembered that those kids had to translate that map from Spanish to English. I thought, "What if I translated from English to Spanish?"

I did this with warm waters, and as most people know, it comes out to Agua Caliente. You may or may not know that there is a place in New Mexico named Agua Caliente Canyon, which also happens to be just South of Taos.

Now, this doesn't mean that Agua Caliente is actually WWWH. But, then, I thought about trying the same thing with more words in the poem. I wasn't able to find another direct translation......however....

We have talked about the use of synonyms before. In this case, I realized that water high could actually mean Rio Arriba, because rio=river and arriba=up and 'river up' could be water high.

Well, that is quite a coincidence, especially considering that Agua Caliente Canyon is in Taos county, and just a couple of miles South is Rio Arriba county.

Pretending that I am correct, this is how I learned the rule of twos. If Forrest does something in the poem once, then he does it twice. If you used a method once to decipher a clue, then chances are, you need another clue to be deciphered the same way.

Interesting theory, Jam Lady. I like that kind of lateral thinking. "Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead." I think the poem is telling two stories - one is FF's the other is someone else's. The two stories share the "secret where." The "I" in the poem is two people. The poet's voice has merged with the spirit of another. It is a device TS Eliot used in Little Gidding which Fenn has alluded to as being important to solving the poem. “Knowing myself yet being someone other.” (TS Eliot, “Little Gidding”). Both are telling the story “as I”.

When you discover the other story and its narrator in the poem, you know the "secret where."
05-27-2016, 05:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016, 05:53 AM by James Perotti.)
Hi JL, Here's a couple more, Alone= Solo, nm. Wood= La Madera, nm.

Rule of two's, I once thought the clues were paired, as in right brain, left brain, right brain, ect.
05-27-2016, 07:41 AM,
(05-27-2016, 04:32 AM)Jack Wrote: Interesting theory, Jam Lady. I like that kind of lateral thinking. "Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead." I think the poem is telling two stories - one is FF's the other is someone else's. The two stories share the "secret where." The "I" in the poem is two people. The poet's voice has merged with the spirit of another. It is a device TS Eliot used in Little Gidding which Fenn has alluded to as being important to solving the poem. “Knowing myself yet being someone other.” (TS Eliot, “Little Gidding”). Both are telling the story “as I”.

When you discover the other story and its narrator in the poem, you know the "secret where."

Where did FF allude to that poem being important.
I know the quote you mean, but haven't heard fenn mention it in relation to the chase.
05-27-2016, 08:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016, 09:14 AM by DeeepThnkr.)
(05-27-2016, 04:32 AM)Jack Wrote:
(05-26-2016, 08:22 PM)JamLady Wrote: I remember my first 'Aha' moment in the chase. I saw the map from TFTW for the first time, and it reminded me of the map from the movie Goonies.

Interesting theory, Jam Lady. I like that kind of lateral thinking. "Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead." I think the poem is telling two stories - one is FF's the other is someone else's. The two stories share the "secret where." The "I" in the poem is two people. The poet's voice has merged with the spirit of another. It is a device TS Eliot used in Little Gidding which Fenn has alluded to as being important to solving the poem. “Knowing myself yet being someone other.” (TS Eliot, “Little Gidding”). Both are telling the story “as I”.

(05-27-2016, 04:32 AM)Jack Wrote:

Now, this doesn't mean that Agua Caliente is actually WWWH. But, then, I thought about trying the same thing with more words in the poem. I wasn't able to find another direct translation......however.

I know the other story! Found it yesterday, brought good warm waters to my eyes. I think I know where the weir is but too far right, wish I had people on the East Coast, those with empty hands plz don't tell me it has to be in the 4 states, u realize yr opinion isn't worth more than 85%.
05-27-2016, 12:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2016, 12:56 PM by Jack.)
(05-27-2016, 07:41 AM)Puzzle X Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 04:32 AM)Jack Wrote: Interesting theory, Jam Lady. I like that kind of lateral thinking. "Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead." I think the poem is telling two stories - one is FF's the other is someone else's. The two stories share the "secret where." The "I" in the poem is two people. The poet's voice has merged with the spirit of another. It is a device TS Eliot used in Little Gidding which Fenn has alluded to as being important to solving the poem. “Knowing myself yet being someone other.” (TS Eliot, “Little Gidding”). Both are telling the story “as I”.

Where did FF allude to that poem being important.
I know the quote you mean, but haven't heard fenn mention it in relation to the chase.

Here is the quote. Note that he is talking about the person who successfully solves the poem by quoting "Little Gidding". If you read the "Little Gidding" and the analysis of it, you will see the theme is an attempt to intersect or merge time with timelessness. Read TTOTC and you will see the same theme in the text and drawings. FF's whole purpose for the chase was to make his "time" timeless. The trigger was pulled when he was told "you can't take it with you", his response was, "Then I'm not going!"

“The person who finds the treasure will have studied the poem over and over, and thought, and analyzed and moved with confidence. Nothing about it will be accidental. T. S. Eliot said:

We shall not cease from our exploration
And at the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time”

I think he is insinuating that there is something in TS Eliot's Little Gidding that will help you solve the riddle of his own poem. He also put in "TS key" - the 9th letter of lines 12-16.
06-06-2016, 04:37 PM,
Another thought on clues in pairs. "look quickly down" and "tarry scant with marvel gaze". "canyon down" and "put in below". It looks like there is something to the idea.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Mexico Searchers Can Rule This Area Out Mindy 20 6,609 03-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  Basic Ground rule violation 5GIRLS 16 5,617 08-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Last Post: 5GIRLS
  New Chasechat Rule #1... minotaur_moreno 34 13,336 04-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Kpro
  The spanish solve next door Hammertime 14 7,601 09-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Kpro
  Animas sola, spanish. Indulgence= pay for sin? HollyfromMN 19 13,968 12-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Last Post: HollyfromMN
  Elevation: wordplay is the rule not the exception. 23kachinas 6 3,642 11-08-2015, 11:27 PM
Last Post: trigace