Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets focus...
06-18-2016, 10:26 AM,
Lets focus...
The general consensus is that this begins with WWWH, and ends with Take the chest and go in peace.

Those lack context. There are lots of places wwwh. What gives us context?

Consider...

Quote:As I have gone alone in there...

...Ive done it tired and now Im weak.

Ask yourself, where did Forrest go in alone? And then ask yourself, what did he do tired?

These give us context.

I have my opinions. Something to ponder.
06-18-2016, 10:55 AM,
RE: Lets focus...
It's all a matter of context. How do we get into Fenn's head and understand what he means by what he wrote in the poem? He says it is straight-forward, and for him it is. For the rest of us though, maybe not so much. Fenn is too close to the problem, and of course he already knows the solution. To him it may really seem simple. But what about his life makes him see the solution the way he does? There aren't many people in the chase as old as Fenn, who have lived through so much and had so many unique adventures as he has. Do we need to have been born in the 1930s, lived through the depression and WWII, lived summers in Yellowstone as a kid, worked as a fishing guide, been a poor student in school (he may be lying about that), wanted to go to college but been unable to, had a career in the Air Force, been an artist, started a second career as an art dealer, become rich, hobnobbed with the rich and famous, been investigated by the FEDs, got cancer and almost died, etc., etc., in order to understand what Fenn means in his poem? If so, he may be the only person on Earth who really understands what he wrote.

The prevailing opinion among searchers from day one is that we need to understand Fenn to understand his poem. I admit that I was in that camp for a long time. But that doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere. Either we are missing something vital about Fenn's history or outlook on life that is critical to deciphering the poem, or just maybe we are taking the wrong approach entirely.

What if releasing his memoirs at around the same time as announcing he hid the treasure just threw us all off track (either intentionally or unintentionally on his part) and made us all think we had to understand him to understand his poem. So just maybe we have all wasted the last 6 years researching him to death for nothing. What if he really means it when he says the poem is straight-forward? What if he really meant it when he said a redneck from Texas in an old pickup truck full of kids should be able to solve this? Lately I have been trying to think like a redneck from Texas. I do own a pickup truck, so that should hopefully help. Too bad I don't have any kids. Might have to borrow some.

I've come up with some new ideas looking at things this way, and not worrying myself about all the minute details of Fenn's life. The chase is going off in a completely new direction for me. My next BOTG trip will take me to an area I never would have considered before.

It's good to buck the conventional wisdom once in a while.

mdavis19
06-18-2016, 11:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2016, 11:08 AM by romeofoxtrot.)
Ill be straight-forward. Without the book, solving the poem would be impossible. The poem tells us we need the book.
06-18-2016, 11:31 AM,
Fenn has said on several occasions that all we need is the poem. When asked if the book is useful, he has said yes, because the poem is in it. In the last few years his story has changed a bit and he seems to be emphasizing the importance of the book more. I guess it comes down to which version you choose to believe. I'm pretty sure the poem has to stand alone, otherwise this might never be solvable.

mdavis19
06-18-2016, 12:48 PM,
Romeo ttcagip may be one of the cleverest devices penned by ff. Probably closer to clue 6 than 9. IMO
06-18-2016, 12:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2016, 01:37 PM by Project Why.)
(06-18-2016, 10:55 AM)mdavis19 Wrote: It's all a matter of context. How do we get into Fenn's head and understand what he means by what he wrote in the poem? He says it is straight-forward, and for him it is. For the rest of us though, maybe not so much. Fenn is too close to the problem, and of course he already knows the solution. To him it may really seem simple. But what about his life makes him see the solution the way he does? There aren't many people in the chase as old as Fenn, who have lived through so much and had so many unique adventures as he has. Do we need to have been born in the 1930s, lived through the depression and WWII, lived summers in Yellowstone as a kid, worked as a fishing guide, been a poor student in school (he may be lying about that), wanted to go to college but been unable to, had a career in the Air Force, been an artist, started a second career as an art dealer, become rich, hobnobbed with the rich and famous, been investigated by the FEDs, got cancer and almost died, etc., etc., in order to understand what Fenn means in his poem? If so, he may be the only person on Earth who really understands what he wrote.

The prevailing opinion among searchers from day one is that we need to understand Fenn to understand his poem. I admit that I was in that camp for a long time. But that doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere. Either we are missing something vital about Fenn's history or outlook on life that is critical to deciphering the poem, or just maybe we are taking the wrong approach entirely.

What if releasing his memoirs at around the same time as announcing he hid the treasure just threw us all off track (either intentionally or unintentionally on his part) and made us all think we had to understand him to understand his poem. So just maybe we have all wasted the last 6 years researching him to death for nothing. What if he really means it when he says the poem is straight-forward? What if he really meant it when he said a redneck from Texas in an old pickup truck full of kids should be able to solve this? Lately I have been trying to think like a redneck from Texas. I do own a pickup truck, so that should hopefully help. Too bad I don't have any kids. Might have to borrow some.

I've come up with some new ideas looking at things this way, and not worrying myself about all the minute details of Fenn's life. The chase is going off in a completely new direction for me. My next BOTG trip will take me to an area I never would have considered before.

mdavis19

Nice post.

But do you truly believe, honestly, .....that anyone will ever solve this poem? I mean, it's been 6 years and thousands, .....thousands of searches for it and still no chest!! And ff doesn't seem to care one way or the other.............

Maybe the fact of the matter is, perhaps getting down to the brass tacks of it all, the TRUTH, .....is that he NEVER meant for it to be found. Perhaps, he only meant for us to SEARCH for it?? Although, in the beginning, when he was going 'all in' trying to market it, he DID make it come across and appear as solvable.

And now what do we have? We have a chase that is MOSTLY made up of people who are NOT the 'kids' he wanted to get out into nature or the 'young' people he was directing this at, but an older crowd that doesn't really have anything else better to do, .....led on by some weirdo who lives on an island in Washington, who has become the middleman of information given and has 'supposedly' made like 100 trips to the Rockies himself. Personally, I doubt he even searches for it. Just marketing.

300 dedicated baby boomers and about 5 kids I saw at Fennboree. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's given a few kids and a bunch of retirees something to do and some purpose. Heck, I hear they're already planning next year's event.

I just kinda find it ironic.

It has mainly become a social event. Nothing of any substance ever given, just some sips of soup every now and then to keep us going. And people are waiting in line for that soup!! Aren't they. Smile He gives out the same fluff every week just to sustain. And that probably suits ff just fine. Entertainment in his old age and the chase ending the way he wanted it, .......with him gone and people still looking for it to whatever extent that is. I mean, he's 86yrs old!!, .....and this is all he is giving us?? Come on. He doesn't want this thing found.

Oh, don't get me wrong, someone will find it, ......'several' hundred years from now, when a new road or structure is being built, kinda like that pottery duck I have that was discovered when my great uncle was putting in a road in southern Arizona back in the 50's. Or maybe in the year 3009. And that's ok. But what is 'straightforward' though, to one person, we know is NOT always straightforward to everyone else, especially when they are using terms and words that aren't 'normal' or are ambiguous. He makes stuff up. And he can say anything he wants to about certain things and we just don't have any way to verify it. I mean, he said, FF SAID, .....that we are NOT going to 'know' anything until it's FOUND. No confirmations.

And then you have all these communications he has with other searchers, sometimes 'inappropriate' or he shares other's information. .....Just very disheartening. But hell, let's just meet up at good ol' Fennboree and everything will be ok!! As long as we're all together. And take some pictures!! Right. As long as Fenn's there in his "sedan" and we can ask him some questions, right? F%%** ridiculous.

In my opinion, not worth searching for. No integrity.

People don't need a golden carrot dangled in front of them to get out "in the wood". Or maybe some do?? Too bad. But l guess let him have his fun. I mean, heck!! He's Forrest Fenn, right!! He's earned it. Smile I mean, who cares if he wastes our time with something something that was never meant to be found in our lifetime.

And it's not that I believe he's greedy or narcissistic, because I think someone with that kind of wealth surely could have put something out there 'solvable' for us peons or something that really could have changed someone's life and that he'd desire for it to be discovered and want to be a part of that event as well. I mean, I would.

No, I think he had good intentions with all of this, mostly. It was just misrepresented to us in the beginning. And I say 'beginning', because that is the way it was portrayed. Although now he says something different. His ego, his legacy, got the better of him perhaps. He should have told us that it wasn't solvable and that he designed it ONLY to be SEARCHED FOR, not found, and let us make that choice. Instead, he made it for us. He came riding out of the sunset on our color tv screens, with visions of grandeur, hopes and dreams.

Ahh, heck!! We'd of searched for it anyway!! Wouldn't we of. Smile Probably. .....It is what it is. People want to 'believe' in something. We have high hopes don't we. Everyone wants to believe that the Gorilla won't hurt anyone or that Disneyland is the safest place on earth or in the right to bear full automatic arms or belief that a president has our best interests at heart, .....or in fairies and fantasies. Then there is reality. No one ever gives away anything for nothing, if not for something to satisfy something at least in their inner selves.

I just wish I'd known that this was his intention from the start.

“Some folks correctly mentioned the first two clues to me in an email and then they went right past the other seven, not knowing that they had been so close”.

“Searchers have been within 200 feet”.

Yeah sure.

You guys have fun!! Smile

Peace.

"But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd." - Jules Winnfield
06-18-2016, 01:02 PM,
(06-18-2016, 10:26 AM)romeofoxtrot Wrote: The general consensus is that this begins with WWWH, and ends with Take the chest and go in peace.

Those lack context. There are lots of places wwwh. What gives us context?

Consider...

Quote:As I have gone alone in there...

...Ive done it tired and now Im weak.

Ask yourself, where did Forrest go in alone? And then ask yourself, what did he do tired?

These give us context.

I have my opinions. Something to ponder.
rft in imo the 1st stanza has no clue ,that will get any one to the chest, but i do know what he did tired and made him weak ,no it is not vietnam or digging for artifacts.
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
06-18-2016, 01:32 PM,
(06-18-2016, 12:57 PM)Project Why Wrote:
(06-18-2016, 10:55 AM)mdavis19 Wrote: It's all a matter of context. How do we get into Fenn's head and understand what he means by what he wrote in the poem? He says it is straight-forward, and for him it is. For the rest of us though, maybe not so much. Fenn is too close to the problem, and of course he already knows the solution. To him it may really seem simple. But what about his life makes him see the solution the way he does? There aren't many people in the chase as old as Fenn, who have lived through so much and had so many unique adventures as he has. Do we need to have been born in the 1930s, lived through the depression and WWII, lived summers in Yellowstone as a kid, worked as a fishing guide, been a poor student in school (he may be lying about that), wanted to go to college but been unable to, had a career in the Air Force, been an artist, started a second career as an art dealer, become rich, hobnobbed with the rich and famous, been investigated by the FEDs, got cancer and almost died, etc., etc., in order to understand what Fenn means in his poem? If so, he may be the only person on Earth who really understands what he wrote.

mdavis19

Nice post.

But do you truly believe, honestly, .....that anyone will ever solve this poem? I mean, it's been 6 years and thousands, .....thousands of searches for it and still no chest!! And ff doesn't seem to care one way or the other.............

Maybe the fact of the matter is, perhaps getting down to the brass tacks of it all, the TRUTH, .....is that he NEVER meant for it to be found. Perhaps, he only meant for us to SEARCH for it?? Although, in the beginning, when he was going 'all in' trying to market it, he DID make it come across and appear as solvable.

And now what do we have? We have a chase that is MOSTLY made up of people who are NOT the 'kids' he wanted to get out into nature or the 'young' people he was directing this at, but an older crowd that doesn't really have anything else better to do, .....led on by some weirdo who lives on an island in Washington, who has become the middleman of information given and has 'supposedly' made like 100 trips to the Rockies himself. Personally, I doubt he even searches for it. Just marketing.

300 dedicated baby boomers and about 5 kids I saw at Fennboree. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's given a few kids and a bunch of retirees something to do and some purpose. Heck, I hear they're already planning next year's event.

It has mainly become a social event. Nothing of any substance ever given, just some sips of soup every now and then to keep us going. And people are waiting in line for that soup!! Aren't they. Smile He gives out the same fluff every week just to sustain. And that probably suits ff just fine. Entertainment in his old age and the chase ending the way he wanted it, .......with him gone and people still looking for it to whatever extent that is. I mean, he's 86yrs old!!, .....and this is all he is giving us?? Come on. He doesn't want this thing found.

Oh, don't get me wrong, someone will find it, ......'several' hundred years from now, when a new road or structure is being built, kinda like that pottery duck I have that was discovered when my great uncle was putting in a road in southern Arizona back in the 50's. Or maybe in the year 3009. And that's ok. But what is 'straightforward' though, to one person, we know is NOT always straightforward to everyone else, especially when they are using terms and words that aren't 'normal' or are ambiguous. He makes stuff up. And he can say anything he wants to about certain things and we just don't have any way to verify it. I mean, he said, FF SAID, .....that we are NOT going to 'know' anything until it's FOUND. No confirmations.

And then you have all these communications he has with other searchers, sometimes 'inappropriate' or he shares other's information. .....Just very disheartening. But hell, let's just meet up at good ol' Fennboree and everything will be ok!! As long as we're all together. And take some pictures!! Right. As long as Fenn's there in his "sedan" and we can ask him some questions, right? F%%** ridiculous.

People don't need a golden carrot dangled in front of them to get out "in the wood". Or maybe some do?? Too bad. But l guess let him have his fun. I mean, heck!! He's Forrest Fenn, right!! He's earned it. Smile I mean, who cares if he wastes our time with something something that was never meant to be found in our lifetime.

And it's not that I believe he's greedy or narcissistic, because I think someone with that kind of wealth surely could have put something out there 'solvable' for us peons or something that really could have changed someone's life and that he'd desire for it to be discovered and want to be a part of that event as well. I mean, I would.

No, I think he had good intentions with all of this, mostly. It was just misrepresented to us in the beginning. And I say 'beginning', because that is the way it was portrayed. Although now he says something different. His ego, his legacy, got the better of him perhaps. He should have told us that it wasn't solvable and that he designed it ONLY to be SEARCHED FOR, not found, and let us make that choice. Instead, he made it for us. He came riding out of the sunset on our color tv screens, with visions of grandeur, hopes and dreams.

Ahh, heck!! We'd of searched for it anyway!! Wouldn't we of. Smile Probably. .....It is what it is. People want to 'believe' in something. We have high hopes don't we. Everyone wants to believe that the Gorilla won't hurt anyone or that Disneyland is the safest place on earth or in the right to bear full automatic arms or belief that a president has our best interests at heart, .....or in fairies and fantasies. Then there is reality. No one ever gives away anything for nothing, if not for something to satisfy something at least in their inner selves.

Peace.
I truly enjoy post like these, it really shows emotional feelings towards the chase and how one may of mentally gotten there. Or is it just one of the phases of a seeker? Does Fenn have some sort of alternative objective with the chase? Most likely, will the chest be found in his or our lifetime? Most likely not, so what does that really say about the chase or Fenn?

When I was researching chase realated stuff, I came across a story when Fenn first got cancer and was talking to someone about some of his found possessions, and he said something to the effect of"I'll take it with me". Does someone with an idea like that and then comes up with the chase a guy that is going to give the treasure away? Earn it, what does that mean? And when or how? Seems like there's a lot to this chase that we may not be aware of.
06-18-2016, 01:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2016, 01:41 PM by romeofoxtrot.)
(06-18-2016, 11:31 AM)mdavis19 Wrote: Fenn has said on several occasions that all we need is the poem. When asked if the book is useful, he has said yes, because the poem is in it. In the last few years his story has changed a bit and he seems to be emphasizing the importance of the book more. I guess it comes down to which version you choose to believe. I'm pretty sure the poem has to stand alone, otherwise this might never be solvable.

mdavis19
Absolutely, all you need is the poem because 1) The poem says you need the book, so by needing the poem you need the book and 2) The poem is in the book, so you need the book.

If the poem said you need a car, Forrest could say all you need is the poem. But by following the poem, we know we need a car.

(06-18-2016, 12:48 PM)Buddy Allen Wrote: Romeo ttcagip may be one of the cleverest devices penned by ff. Probably closer to clue 6 than 9. IMO
I agree.
06-18-2016, 01:46 PM,
(06-18-2016, 12:57 PM)Project Why Wrote:

mdavis19

Nice post.

Peace.

Hey, PW, long time no see.

Do I think he really wants/expects it to be solved? Does he care if it is solved? I don't know. I have my suspicions. But like I said in my post, I've pretty much given up trying to live in his head. I think that is a loser's game. Almost everyone here and at HOD is following that strategy, and they are all losers so far. Why follow the herd? Like I've said so many times before, if this is ever going to be solved, it is going to be by someone thinking differently, and way outside the box. If I see everyone going one direction, I tend to go a different way.

I enjoy trying to solve the poem. I like a challenge, and I am not afraid to take on projects that can take years to complete. Got lots of them cooking away. I just don't let myself get emotionally wrapped up in this like you and Ricky, and Stephanie, and so many others do. For me this is just a fun puzzle I can't let go of. I keep coming back to it and turning it around and looking at it from different angles. I've got very little invested in it. I'm not desperate to solve it and get my hands on the gold like so many are. I don't need the money. I don't have losses to recoup. I don't need it to finance my retirement. I don't have a pet theory I am desperate to prove. It's all just a hobby for me. Not being desperate to solve it, or being emotionally wrapped up in it allows me to look at things a lot more dispassionately than a lot of other searchers. Hopefully that will give me an advantage in the long run.

mdavis19

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Tight focus with a word that is key delayah 55 26,615 09-14-2019, 09:26 AM
Last Post: mikemarcum03
  lets go on a hike zombiecupkake 4 1,634 02-22-2019, 05:56 PM
Last Post: lingerlonger
  lets refocus zombiecupkake 10 2,204 01-25-2019, 08:12 AM
Last Post: zombiecupkake
  Lets KEEP it REAL! finditkeepit 19 7,975 08-12-2018, 03:44 PM
Last Post: paulb
  Lets Assume. .. SidnCharley 578 250,735 06-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Mindy
  tight focus lostowl 3 2,634 05-31-2017, 05:18 AM
Last Post: lostowl