Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Path To Success
07-14-2016, 10:29 AM,
RE: The Path To Success
(07-14-2016, 09:07 AM)The Count Wrote:
(07-14-2016, 07:07 AM)Silentfly Wrote:
(07-14-2016, 06:57 AM)Jack Wrote:
(07-13-2016, 04:29 PM)Silentfly Wrote: I think when a poet pens a poem, they don't expect us to start in the middle, It just doesn't make any sense to me. It would be like starting a movie 42 minutes in. IMO

I suggest you click on this link and read it:

https://litreactor.com/columns/out-of-or...-structure

Ah, like Reservoir Dogs.
Excellent suggest Jack, you appear to know your stuff! Has there ever been any quotes by Forrest about linear approaches to the poem?

Time and space often the conundrum

Something about the poem being contiguous, can't remember exact quote though.
07-14-2016, 06:18 PM,
(07-14-2016, 06:57 AM)Jack Wrote: [quote='Silentfly' pid='116768' dateline='1468445358']
I think when a poet pens a poem, they don't expect us to start in the middle, It just doesn't make any sense to me. It would be like starting a movie 42 minutes in. IMO

Ah, like Reservoir Dogs.
Excellent suggest Jack, you appear to know your stuff! Has there ever been any quotes by Forrest about linear approaches to the poem?

Well, first of all, there is this quote. Note that he clearly states that he is talking about the path in the poem and not the BOTG path:

“The person who finds the treasure will have studied the poem over and over, and thought, and analyzed and moved with confidence. Nothing about it will be accidental. T. S. Eliot said:

We shall not cease from our exploration
And at the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time”

He has said that the clues are consecutive and contiguous. That doesn't necessarily mean that they occur linearly. If you trace a circle, all the points along that circle are consecutive and congruent, including the starting point and the end point. The end takes you to where you began.

He has said many times that you can't solve the poem if you don't know where to start. Those statements strongly suggest that it is necessary to start somewhere ( a secret where?) other than a place that would seem obvious - stanza 1 or else stanza 2. If you start anywhere other than stanza 1 and you don't ignore any of the words in the poem and keep the clues consecutive and contiguous, then when you reach the end of stanza 6, you are forced to go to stanza 1 and you will end wherever you began. You haven't changed the poem by doing so, you have only changed your approach and analysis of the poem.

Finally, acknowledging the risk of confirmation bias, "My Spanish Toy Factory" is loaded with circle imagery (marbles, yo-yos, pies, 2pi(s), spinning tops, nickles. The pie store is located at the intersection of First and French, a very linear image. Perhaps he is suggesting two opposing approaches to solving the puzzle.
07-14-2016, 06:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2016, 10:08 PM by Windy City.)
(07-14-2016, 10:29 AM)Silentfly Wrote:
(07-13-2016, 04:29 PM)Silentfly Wrote: I think when a poet pens a poem, they don't expect us to start in the middle, It just doesn't make any sense to me. It would be like starting a movie 42 minutes in. IMO

Ah, like Reservoir Dogs.

True, but Mr. Fenn will not say where the beginning is.
07-14-2016, 08:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2016, 10:55 PM by Silentfly.)
(07-14-2016, 06:59 PM)Windy City Wrote:
(07-14-2016, 10:29 AM)Silentfly Wrote:
(07-14-2016, 06:57 AM)Jack Wrote: I suggest you click on this link and read it:

Ah, like Reservoir Dogs.

True, but Mr. Fenn will say where the beginning is.

So sometimes the brain needs a little lack of sleep to figure a tangent, and then there's stretching it, I mean my god Fenn stretching it I never was any good at math, and Mr. Fenn would put a math problem at the end.
I feel so stupid out there going to china, All well, I did fill the hole back up. twice!! So this number I come up with seems pretty nifty, you know 85, and use the blue print with the key. Wife just come downstairs and caught me in another mad cackle, I think It may be lack of sleep, or I may be going mad, but I am enjoying myself immensely. Its just hard to rest when there's treasure out there. I know Deeep is close, not sure about Gey, but Deeep thinks Geys close, so must be close. Maybe with a little luck they have to drive farther and get a flat. Oh maybe not a flat, maybe out of gas some where with a lot of beer and strippers? MMM doughnuts and koolaid? sandwiches and Dr. Pepper? I could only hope. OMG I just realized Mr Magic is flying in any day now!!! I hope hes not clued in on the key, let him dig some holes ahahahaha.

By the way Deeep thanks for the help you showed a massive load of "kinda like those rocks I was lifting ah" sportsman ship letting me catch up like that.Smile Especially after the ribin I gave you when you dumped the Lexi in the snow. Shucks man if ever your in town I know a pretty good place for a taco or something.
Soon I shall have the chest, but I am despairing for it is the chase that I prize and It will soon be at rest, and the cycle well it begins at the end.

By the way ffs a genius. I mean how? All from home. Well there has been 15 BOTG so far. I hope I have been amusing for you ff. You are most amusing for me. Smile
07-14-2016, 09:52 PM,
(07-14-2016, 06:18 PM)Jack Wrote:

Ah, like Reservoir Dogs.
Well, first of all, there is this quote. Note that he clearly states that he is talking about the path in the poem and not the BOTG path:

“The person who finds the treasure will have studied the poem over and over, and thought, and analyzed and moved with confidence. Nothing about it will be accidental. T. S. Eliot said:

He has said that the clues are consecutive and contiguous. That doesn't necessarily mean that they occur linearly. If you trace a circle, all the points along that circle are consecutive and congruent, including the starting point and the end point. The end takes you to where you began.

He has said many times that you can't solve the poem if you don't know where to start. Those statements strongly suggest that it is necessary to start somewhere ( a secret where?) other than a place that would seem obvious - stanza 1 or else stanza 2. If you start anywhere other than stanza 1 and you don't ignore any of the words in the poem and keep the clues consecutive and contiguous, then when you reach the end of stanza 6, you are forced to go to stanza 1 and you will end wherever you began. You haven't changed the poem by doing so, you have only changed your approach and analysis of the poem.

Finally, acknowledging the risk of confirmation bias, "My Spanish Toy Factory" is loaded with circle imagery (marbles, yo-yos, pies, 2pi(s), spinning tops, nickles. The pie store is located at the intersection of First and French, a very linear image. Perhaps he is suggesting two opposing approaches to solving the puzzle.
Jack,
Do you think some of the implications that you made have anything to do with Fenn saying to read the poem over and over again? Maybe making some of the poem having more or other meaning by making it circular or continuous?
07-14-2016, 10:20 PM,
(07-14-2016, 09:52 PM)The Count Wrote:
(07-14-2016, 06:18 PM)Jack Wrote:
(07-14-2016, 06:57 AM)Jack Wrote: I suggest you click on this link and read it:

Ah, like Reservoir Dogs.

Jack,
Do you think some of the implications that you made have anything to do with Fenn saying to read the poem over and over again? Maybe making some of the poem having more or other meaning by making it circular or continuous?

I'll give my answer It is the Thrill of The Chase. The end is always a beginning because your off chasing something else, if that makes any sense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  THE HINTS- VITAL TO SUCCESS fundamental design 665 191,701 07-15-2019, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  the end of the path.The maze paulb 0 612 08-12-2018, 10:50 AM
Last Post: paulb
  What is the "path". What is the wheel? easternOHsteve 11 4,131 07-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Last Post: easternOHsteve
  The entire path to the treasure Indy 11 5,623 08-18-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Indy
  the path to failure takes a detour Chris Yates 8 3,959 07-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Last Post: John Brown
  Success Box decall 6 3,681 10-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Buddy Allen