Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aberration
07-15-2016, 09:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2016, 09:47 PM by GoneAlone.)
Aberration
This is a word that Fenn likes to use a lot. In looking it up on Google one of the definitions is:

OPTICS
the failure of rays to converge at one focus because of limitations or defects in a lens or mirror.

... which relates back his talk of the mirror on his bathroom wall:

http://www.oldsantafetradingco.com/blog/...hroom-wall

Or at dictionary.com:

Optics.
Any disturbance of the rays of a pencil of light such that they can no longer be brought to a sharp focus or form a clear image.

Photography
A defect in a camera lens or lens system, due to flaws in design, material, or construction, that can distort the image.

... which loosely ties back to his "tight focus" comment -- or if you really want to force a connection there is the elongated shadow photo on TFTW.

... but for me none of these forced connections have ANY relevance in my solution. Personally I think this is just Fenn purposely creating some rabbit-holes for the out-of-the-box (out-of-the-poem) thinkers out there.

How say you on his repeated use of the word aberration?
07-15-2016, 09:54 PM,
RE: Aberration
You know there is an easy distance formula using mirrors from way back when.
07-15-2016, 09:58 PM,
left is right and right is left?

I checked my rear view mirror the other day and saw the words FIRE wrote backwards.

what happens to the poor souls that read it as presented and dont read too good? ERIF. lol
07-15-2016, 10:03 PM,
(07-15-2016, 09:58 PM)mrmagicarovrumrebel Wrote: left is right and right is left?

Interesting thought... but too flimsy.

Personally I think using the word 'aberration' to influence your solution veers into the out-of-the-box (out-of-the-poem) thinking that I avoid. Don't get me wrong -- I read all his Weekly Words to look for minor confirmations on my (poem-based) solution... but that's all that I use Weekly Words for.
07-15-2016, 10:06 PM,
Down to up is what a mirror does. It doesn't have a left or right.
07-15-2016, 10:36 PM,
"It doesn't help to stretch a tangent"

More Fenn-speak in the same vein.
07-15-2016, 10:40 PM,
Aberrations out along the edge. How do you know how far you can go if you never go to the edge.

It doesn't have a thing to do with mirrors, reflections or anything like that. Should I tell you what aberrations refers to you would go over the edge in mockery and denial.

This is something you will only learn after the chest is found I'm afraid. If the location is disclosed of course.
07-15-2016, 11:24 PM,
(07-15-2016, 10:06 PM)geydelkon Wrote: Down to up is what a mirror does. It doesn't have a left or right.

Flat mirror changes nothing up/down nor left/right. Curved mirror may change perspective depending on where the camera/viewer is in relation to the focal point.
-T-

“I’ve said searchers should go back to the poem so many times that I don’t want to say it again here.” -ff

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.” -Sherlock Holmes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Red Ryder Aberration Mindy 3 3,519 07-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Hammertime