Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016...A watershed year for the Chase, imo
08-16-2016, 09:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2016, 09:09 AM by romeofoxtrot.)
2016...A watershed year for the Chase, imo
The only constant is change.

While there will be new searchers every year, the question is it a net positive, or net negative?

Its my belief it will be a net negative year. Things are slowing. Forrest is posting less, and saying less. TTOTC.com has gone dormant. Dals site is slowing, and Dal hmself is not as active. Aside from a small handful of hardcores, the peanut gallery at HoD is shrinking. Members here are posting less substance than previous(Mindy used to post of substance, Wolf used to post regularly of substance, Illinoisghost was regularly posting fancy images, geydelkon nuked all mentions of the Chase from his site, decall posted his "final" solve", and these are but a few of the most notable veterans and substance). So far, the single biggest happening, IMO, this summer, is decalls solve.

Even those who dont post substance are either posting less, or none at all. Where did DeepThinker go? He had it all figured out! Itchy has gone zero-dark-thirty. Magicrovrumrebel, havent heard him tell us he has it all figured out in a while.

And that doesnt take into account all the recent bannings here at CC.

Things appear to be fading. Difficult, but not impossible. After 6 years, and essentially knowing no more than when it began(with any certainty) that has been figured out by the community...folks are finding it impossible, and moving on.
08-16-2016, 09:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2016, 09:19 AM by Indy.)
RE: 2016...A watershed year for the Chase, imo
(08-16-2016, 09:08 AM)romeofoxtrot Wrote: The only constant is change.

While there will be new searchers every year, the question is it a net positive, or net negative?

Its my belief it will be a net negative year. Things are slowing. Forrest is posting less, and saying less. TTOTC.com has gone dormant. Dals site is slowing, and Dal hmself is not as active. Aside from a small handful of hardcores, the peanut gallery at HoD is shrinking. Members here are posting less substance than previous(Mindy used to post of substance, Wolf used to post regularly of substance, Illinoisghost was regularly posting fancy images, geydelkon nuked all mentions of the Chase from his site, decall posted his "final" solve", and these are but a few of the most notable veterans and substance). So far, the single biggest happening, IMO, this summer, is decalls solve.

Even those who dont post substance are either posting less, or none at all. Where did DeepThinker go? He had it all figured out! Itchy has gone zero-dark-thirty. Magicrovrumrebel, havent heard him tell us he has it all figured out in a while.

Things appear to be fading. Difficult, but not impossible. After 6 years, and essentially knowing no more than when it began(with any certainty) that has been figured out by the community...folks are finding it impossible, and moving on.

I can't argue with anything, but I have noticed the high guest total here and I think it's related to the historical archive of information embedded in past threads. We have argued all we can and now the archives are available for all to do the research for themselves.

It wouldn't mean the chase is having a negative year, but simply evolving from a sunday picnic and Fenn centric activity, to a serious quest that only treasure hunters will continue with.

At least that's how I see it.
08-16-2016, 09:22 AM,
(08-16-2016, 09:18 AM)Indy Wrote: I can't argue with anything, but I have noticed the high guest total here and I think it's related to the historical archive of information embedded in past threads. We have argued all we can and now the archives are available for all to do the research for themselves.

It wouldn't mean the chase is having a negative year, but simply evolving from a sunday picnic and Fenn centric activity, to a serious quest that only treasure hunters will continue with.

At least that's how I see it.
It may be overshadowed by the Randy incident. That seemed to polarize the community. It never helps when something like this ends in death.

Serious hunters have come and gone. Fewer are coming than going.
08-16-2016, 09:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2016, 09:40 AM by crustacean.)
Quote:It may be overshadowed by the Randy incident. That seemed to polarize the community. It never helps when something like this ends in death.

Serious hunters have come and gone. Fewer are coming than going.

I see the term "Serious Hunter" as a bad thing to be honest. Not trying to offend anybody here but Forrest keeps telling us that the solve is easy. When I see the solves of these "serious hunters" they seem absolutely absurd to me. Forrest tells us that we don't need to be historians but instead a background in geography is key. Yet these "serious searchers" seem to be referring to bizarre old books or manuscripts, Amelia Earhart biographies, ciphers, and more. It's almost like being a "serious searcher" is a synonym for "just a little crazy". If Forrest tells us to focus on the poem and maps then why do so many people seem to not believe him? In my opinion, those people were just wasting their time trying to make something simple into something mind-numbingly complex anyway.

I have no doubt that this will be solved. I also suspect it will be solved by somebody who is both creative with plays on words and happens to either recognize some of the features he describes because of personal knowledge or they have access to old maps of the target area. Heck, I think the right person with the right attitude, creativity, and some luck might solve it very quickly.

edit- As I re-read this I can see how it will offend some. That's not my intent and I apologize if you see it that way. Honestly I just think people really need to step back and 1) see this as a ton of fun and 2) believe Forrest when he describes the chase. We believe him that he hid a chest right? Why not believe him about the nature of the chase?
08-16-2016, 09:50 AM,
Interesting. Yet Forrest said “I’m looking at a 100 years down the road, a 1,000 years, maybe 10,000 years..."

(08-16-2016, 09:38 AM)crustacean Wrote: the right person with the right attitude, creativity, and some luck might solve it very quickly.

Archer
08-16-2016, 09:50 AM,
All great treasure hunts have a core group of searchers who never give up, but there's no doubt it will be much smaller than 65K and I suspect there will always be a few fresh faces who get the book from a friend or a parent and think they have what it takes to be Indiana Jones.
08-16-2016, 10:28 AM,
(08-16-2016, 09:38 AM)crustacean Wrote: Not trying to offend anybody here but Forrest keeps telling us that the solve is easy.

Where do you believe he said this? Do you have a link? Not trying to offend, but anyone who has read TTOTC knows he has said the exact opposite...

Page 132, TTOTC
Quote:I knew exactly where to hide the chest so it would be difficult to find but not impossible.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margie-gol...22894.html
Quote:“It’s difficult so it won’t be found right away, but it’s easy enough so that it’s not impossible to find it.” Fenn chuckles and says, “I want sweaty bodies out there looking for my treasure — they just have to find the clues.”
08-16-2016, 10:33 AM,
(08-16-2016, 09:08 AM)romeofoxtrot Wrote: The only constant is change.

Why are they disappearing?

Easy a lot of them claimed to have solved it and were going to get the chest. They came back empty handed and quit rather than face the humiliation on this site. Some like Decall bow out with their heads held high and go with our respect

A few perennials will remain and will come up with excuses for their failure in a vain attempt to evade the shame of defeat (Mindy's mom, Gordon's too high a mountain etc now sure some of these excuses may be valid but only to a point).

Yeah i know Im starting to sound like MDavis but Im the real slim shady and Mdavis is just an imitation!
08-16-2016, 10:38 AM,
(08-16-2016, 10:33 AM)SlimShady Wrote: Some like Decall bow out with their heads held high and go with our respect
No doubt. He gets my respect for putting it all out there. Not enough decalls in the chase.
08-16-2016, 10:43 AM,
(08-16-2016, 10:28 AM)romeofoxtrot Wrote: [quote='crustacean' pid='125571' dateline='1471358288']
Not trying to offend anybody here but Forrest keeps telling us that the solve is easy.

Where do you believe he said this? Do you have a link? Not trying to offend, but anyone who has read TTOTC knows he has said the exact opposite...

Page 132, TTOTC
Quote:I knew exactly where to hide the chest so it would be difficult to find but not impossible.

So maybe I phrased my words poorly but he has said similar things multiple times implying that people are overthinking this. I believe he said "show the poem to a kid". I can't find the original quote but see it referred to on lots of blogs. I'd love to find the original FYI. Either way, the poem is tough to properly decipher but not complex.

He has said repeatedly that there are no ciphers and that the only thing a person needs is the poem a good map and maybe a copy of his book.

He also says “When somebody finds that treasure chest, everybody’s going to say, ‘My God! Why didn’t I think of that?’” https://stories.californiasunday.com/201...rest-fenn/

You may interpret those differently than I but it tells me clearly that the solution is not complex but that it takes a lot of creativity. I suspect a great deal of wordplay is involved. I know I'm hardly the first person with those conclusions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vote for Chase a$$hole of the Year Top Secret 130 16,458 2 minutes ago
Last Post: 5GIRLS
  My solve Aug 13, 2016 decall 118 71,383 08-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Last Post: hawkeye
  Weekly Words November 25, 2016 Beavertooth 14 8,791 11-26-2016, 10:53 PM
Last Post: DanS
  Weekly Words Nov. 4th, 2016 Beavertooth 23 13,231 11-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Kpro
  Special Featured Question on MW 10/18/2016 cynthia 21 13,705 10-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Last Post: DeeepThnkr
  2016 season romeofoxtrot 4 2,543 05-04-2016, 09:50 PM
Last Post: The Count