Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter/ suicide
11-20-2013, 04:02 PM,
Winter/ suicide

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from James Perotti on November 20, 2013, 2:36 pm</b>

Hi All, My point was that there is no doubt in my mind, that the hiding place is accessible year round, without having to jump through any hoops, if he got anything right, he got that.
</div>

"Getting it right" need not mean making it easy for searchers. To me if it means anything it means hiding the chest in a place that is special to him for whatever reason.
11-20-2013, 04:02 PM,
Winter/ suicide
JP- Yes, I tend to agree that it is accessible year-round. However, based upon his comment about the snow, it will certainly be more challenging for the searcher with snow on the ground both for access and spotting the chest.

Forrest knows right where it is, and he walked there in his late seventies, so I doubt it can be prohibitive in winter. If the snow is deep, that may be another story for him as he grows older.

But if he knew right where to hide it when he initially got the idea to hide a treasure chest after he got cancer, he may not have thought of "everything" at that point. And if he didn't change his original spot (after considering the possibility of getting there if he was dying in the winter) then it may be a lot tougher in winter than if he picked the spot based upon all possible contingencies that he could think of.

Halogetter

11-20-2013, 04:17 PM,
Winter/ suicide

<b>Quote from Halogetter on November 20, 2013, 4:02 pm</b>

Forrest knows right where it is, and he walked there in his late seventies, so I doubt it can be prohibitive in winter. If the snow is deep, that may be another story for him as he grows older.

Halogetter
</div>

There's prohibitive and there's <i>prohibitive</i>. There's no reason to rule out the possibility that it is miles down a road that is not maintained in the winter. Two miles down an unmaintained but skiable dirt road is not a big deal. Five miles of breaking tracks starts to become a big deal. 10 miles and you're pretty much locked in to an overnight trip.
11-20-2013, 04:34 PM,
Winter/ suicide

<b>Quote from John Brown on November 20, 2013, 4:17 pm</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from Halogetter on November 20, 2013, 4:02 pm</b>

Halogetter
</div>

There's prohibitive and there's <i>prohibitive</i>. There's no reason to rule out the possibility that it is miles down a road that is not maintained in the winter. Two miles down an unmaintained but skiable dirt road is not a big deal. Five miles of breaking tracks starts to become a big deal. 10 miles and you're pretty much locked in to an overnight trip.</div>
</div>

Halogetter, the assumption that he 'walk' always throws me off. I don't see or have heard anything about means of transportation. only that he 'walk' to the car! even the statement fenn made was something like, don't have to 'go' where a 79 - 80 yr. old can't go.

which bring me to John browns statement about skis or show shoes. I agree they would Not be considered special equipment, or even a kayak either. I was thinking more in the lines of a snowmobile, repelling equipment, and such. more "specialize" equipment I guess. when I have been out in different areas, I'd bring rope, hand axe, other types of equipment for the type of area I'm in. More for safety than anything. One never know when you'll need those.
11-20-2013, 07:17 PM,
Winter/ suicide
Thanks, I've been looking for that Quote. I thought it was on Dal's, but couldn't remember. Back when he said that, winter storms had hit hard pretty much all of the search area states, except NM.
11-20-2013, 08:49 PM,
Winter/ suicide
Nora, if your talking about Quote; don't go... 79-80 can't go. I was paraphrasing.

But if you look on Dal's site under Forest gets or answer mail... that was the 1st I saw it in answer to a searchers email.

suggest you start with the oldest thread.
11-20-2013, 10:14 PM,
Winter/ suicide
Wasn't talking about yours.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Winter Solstice day! Milan 4 819 12-22-2018, 04:43 PM
Last Post: inohury
  winter warning Chris Yates 1 964 10-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Last Post: crazyfamily
  Winter Wonderland AccountAtAGlance 0 772 03-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Last Post: AccountAtAGlance
  An underwhelming winter season OjoDude 1 2,187 01-19-2018, 08:03 PM