Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clues by Number
12-11-2016, 11:45 PM,
RE: Clues by Number
Isn't "The Dude" also the name of the motel that Forrest and Skippy built in West Yellowstone.
12-11-2016, 11:50 PM,
Dave the Dude comes to mind.
12-11-2016, 11:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2016, 12:00 AM by Beavertooth.)
(12-11-2016, 11:50 PM)boomergirl Wrote: Dave the Dude comes to mind.

From Pocketful of Miracles?

With Glenn Ford (Mrs. Ford's son)?

Story adapted from the Damon Runyon short story "Madame La Gimp"

Gimp, as in halt?

I seem to be channeling The Wolf tonight.

Smile
12-12-2016, 08:38 AM,
Clues by Number
(12-11-2016, 11:45 PM)Beavertooth Wrote: Isn't "The Dude" also the name of the motel that Forrest and Skippy built in West Yellowstone.

Yes, ask for room #4.

Kpro
12-12-2016, 03:11 PM,
(12-11-2016, 07:38 PM)ThrillChaser Wrote: 23. Twenty-three.

"Row 4 block 23" (TTOTC: Epilogue)

Trying to summarize the meanings, implications or manifestations of the number 23 has overwhelmed me, so I'm going to steal from someone else:

23 - The greatest number of all time.

Reasons why: It is...

1. a prime number, as are 2 and 3.
2. Michael Jordan's number.
3. the NBA record for most consecutive points scored by a single player in a game, done by none other than Michael Jordan.
4. the number of chromosomes in a human sperm or egg.
5. the angle between the earth's magnetic and rotational axis.
6. the Tropic of Cancer at 23 degrees N Latitude.
7. the Tropic of Capricorn at 23 degrees S Latitude.
8. a .com and the page is very cryptic.
9. the most quoted Psalm in the bible ("The Lord is my shepherd..."
10. the number of people executed in "A Tale of Two Cities"
11. the smallest number of people for which there is at least a 50% chance that two will share the same birthday.
12. the standard TCP/IP port for Telnet.
13. one of the "Lost" numbers on the television show....also the sum of two of the other numbers (8 & 15)and the solution to 42-15-4=23, all of which are also Lost numbers.
14. the number of times Caesar was stabbed in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.
15. has been prominently featured in the following: Serendipity, Futurama, Star Wars A New Hope, Monty Python The Life of Brian, Seinfeld, The Big Lebowski, The Matrix Reloaded, and Die Hard III among MANY MANY other movies.
16. the number of flavors Dr. Pepper claims to be a blend of.
17. the number of distinct orientations of Tetris pieces.
18. the sum of U2, the greatest band ever. U is the 21st letter of the alphabet.
19. the number of letters in the latin alphabet.
20. the number of the Illuminati.
21. the letter W in the english alphabet, a letter with 2 points down and 3 points up.
22. the smallest number of integer sided boxes that tile a box such that no two boxes share a common length.
23. the only US president to serve between nonconsecutive terms of another president (23rd president Benjamin Harrison serving between Grover Cleveland's terms).

That last one about Grover Cleveland caught my eye. President Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th president, so 23 would be "in the middle."

Biographer Allan Nevins wrote: "in Grover Cleveland the greatness lies in typical rather than unusual qualities. He had no endowments that thousands of men do not have. He possessed honesty, courage, firmness, independence, and common sense. But he possessed them to a degree other men do not

Others have written about the Baby Ruth candy bar being named after President Cleveland's daughter. And of course he's on the $1000 note in Scrapbook 129.

Many may not know that his first name is actually Stephen, but apparently he never used it professionally. Or that prior to being President he was a Sheriff, of Erie County, NY. Or that he was the leader of the "Bourbon Democrats." Or that he was a 7th cousin to Sir Winston Churchill.

But how does any of that help us crack the Grover Cleveland clue? I wish he had a nickname, like "Oil Can" Boyd, a MLB player who wore #23, or "The Dude" in The Big Lebowski, a movie mentioned in reason 15, above. In absence of that, the solution to this clue may very well remain an enigma.

Thank you for stating facts that include the number you are pointing out. A lot of folks do not look into the detail of everything they see. If it doesnt match what they think it should, then it gets overlooked. What you are using are facts of life, and how they might relate to the poem, or Fenns words in the book.

Grover Cleveland Caught my eye as well. Cleveland is a big part of the final solve somehow. Whether it is Ohio, or Cleveland itself, it has to have something to do with a large portion of the solve. I never looked at it the way you have it set-up, as if Cleveland is in the middle. Fenn is Cleveland. Cleveland is Brown, and Cleveland is Indian. Indian is Brave. Its coming together more and more, just by using little tiny facts like this.

12-16-2016, 12:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2016, 12:48 AM by ThrillChaser.)
24. Twenty-four.

24 lines in the poem.
24 hours in a day.
24 karat pure gold

The Greek alphabet has 24 letters. The 24th letter is Ω.

Four and twenty is the number of blackbirds baked in a pie in the traditional English nursery rhyme Sing a Song of Sixpence. Four and twenty was also a thoroughbred racehorse.

The Marshall Islands are divided administratively into 24 municipalities, corresponding to the 24 inhabited atolls or islands.

#24 is Jeff Gordon. I remember watching the Daytona 500 a couple-ten-fifteen years ago, and Jeff Gordon was in the lead with like five laps to go, and there was a big pileup, and Jay Leno's pace car almost got hit, and I think it was Sterling Marlin who hit Jeff Gordon's car and made him spin out, or something like that. Neither of those guys won that particular race.

2 and 4 are represented conspicuously as the number of visible digits on each of Skippy's hands (TTOTC: Photo Page 54, caption: "Skippy"). If it is ever definitively determined that there are intended and useful hints or clues in any of the pictures or drawings in the book, I hope this is one of them. Is it subtle? About as subtle as the wings on a Victoria's Secret model. But still, it's got to mean something, right?
12-16-2016, 08:04 PM,
(12-16-2016, 12:35 AM)ThrillChaser Wrote: 24. Twenty-four.

Taps has 24 notes.
-T-

“I’ve said searchers should go back to the poem so many times that I don’t want to say it again here.” -ff

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes.” -Sherlock Holmes
01-04-2017, 04:39 AM,
25. Twenty-five.

ACTS 25:25 (KJB) "...I found that he had committed nothing worthy of death..."

One year ago today, Randy Bilyeu was last seen alive in Sante Fe, New Mexico. Randy will be remembered by the treasure hunting community, by his family and friends, and by his little dog Leo. Today would be a good day to say a prayer for his family, and to remind ourselves of how very, seriously, dangerous it can be in the wilderness, especially in the Winter. I never met Randy but I think I would have liked him, and I wish he were still with us.
01-04-2017, 07:55 AM,
(01-04-2017, 04:39 AM)ThrillChaser Wrote: 25. Twenty-five.

ACTS 25:25 (KJB) "...I found that he had committed nothing worthy of death..."

One year ago today, Randy Bilyeu was last seen alive in Sante Fe, New Mexico. Randy will be remembered by the treasure hunting community, by his family and friends, and by his little dog Leo. Today would be a good day to say a prayer for his family, and to remind ourselves of how very, seriously, dangerous it can be in the wilderness, especially in the Winter. I never met Randy but I think I would have liked him, and I wish he were still with us.

Thanks for remembering, ThrillChaser. Beautifully said.
01-04-2017, 09:08 AM,
(01-04-2017, 08:29 AM)pidmt Wrote: dont forget fenn also repeats over and over in scrapbooks ,interviews ,ttotc and tftw the numbers 5,10,15 50, are these cues ,hints ,its something to ponder over

If I only had a nickel for everytime 5 comes up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Number Relationships fabjr71 11 2,165 07-16-2019, 06:28 PM
Last Post: Chris Yates
  the number John Brown 21 6,146 08-22-2018, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Mongo
  Number Associations Mindy 0 933 04-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Mindy
  The number of the Beast filmguy 32 9,589 12-14-2017, 04:50 PM
Last Post: wishiIwasRich
  Can Anyone Translate This into a Number? Iron Will 14 6,931 10-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Copper
  The magic number 17 or 71... glock20 0 1,599 05-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Last Post: glock20