Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Searching on private property
12-08-2013, 10:39 AM,
Three months ago in the "New Mexico" forum here I mentioned that the forests of northern New Mexico "looked like Woodstock" because of the crowds of people looking for the Forrest Fenn treasure. I neglected to mention that scattered among the Carson National Forest and the Santa Fe National Forest there are tiny sections of privately-owned land, and those properties in general are owned by people who fear and distrust humanity.

Yesterday the owner of the private property I live and work on talked to the owner of the Hart land. That person said he has been "flooded" with people searching his land, after ignoring the "keep out" signs. When I was in that area in June of this year I noticed the extraordinary number of shoe prints and trash in the area, and I was worried about the houses in the remote, isolated area being vandalized. The owner of that land, and the houses, cannot be there to defend the place all the time--- yet he has been there during many weekends this summer and he had warned trespassers off of his property several times: some times with a hand gun, some times with a rifle.

When a man or woman, in the remote wilderness, shoots a warning shot over a person's head, he or she is *NOT* "kidding:" he or she is in earnest. He or she is living in the remote wilderness for a reason, and that usually includes the desire to get as far away from humans as possible. It is not "okay" to search the wood pile, or pull up the lid on the septic system, or search the cistern, under the belief that "it won't harm anything." The trespass itself is the harm.
12-08-2013, 01:11 PM,
Personally, I think, If you 'Heard' the Warning shot, you should count your blessings. When you don't 'Hear a shot' fired at you, it won't matter at that point, the bullet travels faster then the sound. Common sense and respect, is an Endanger Species in this day and age. 'Private property' is just that.
12-08-2013, 01:27 PM,
Well said! There are plenty of really good maps that show what lands are privately owned! Before you search anywhere in Wyoming, get a good map of that area. Most of the area around the Hole-in-the Wall is privately owned ranches. The Willow Creek Ranch is roughly 72,000 acres. The Pathfinder Ranch on Hwy 220 has 12 or 13 miles on highway frontage...and it goes south a lot farther than that. You have to know where you are!
12-08-2013, 03:20 PM,
I have a CWP and I carry but if Im on someone property I need to be shot. People I dont think Forrest would have put it on private property and asked you to bring your kids to put them in danger so use some common sense and if you go on private property make sure you ask first.
12-09-2013, 10:44 AM,
It put's me in mind of the fellow that said he had crossed three locked gates and when he got to the ranch house, he was going to ask if it was ok? Here in NC. circumventing a locked, lock, can get you charged with breaking and entering, a trip to jail for sure.
12-09-2013, 11:29 AM,
Trespassing is never a good idea, I dont know why people have problems with that concept? Must not have grown up in a crappy neighborhood with armed and ready to shoot neighbors? lol
Shhh they aren't listening.
12-11-2013, 06:43 AM,
So there is not a deed to the private property in the chest OOPS! LOL

I own some land in south central New Mexico zoned open range, as long as it not fenced any person

or cow can use. When I drove to the property, I found cows, and someone is using the well.

Maybe I can fence the cows in and Desertphil-e can teach me how to ranch.
12-11-2013, 08:07 AM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from boomergirl on December 11, 2013, 6:43 am</b>

So there is not a deed to the private property in the chest OOPS! LOL

I own some land in south central New Mexico zoned open range, as long as it not fenced any person

or cow can use. When I drove to the property, I found cows, and someone is using the well.

Maybe I can fence the cows in and Desertphile can teach me how to ranch.
</div>

Ranching Lesson #1: Secure the water rights to that well. Without the right to use the water, no ranch can exist.

Ranching Lesson #2: If the cows grazing on the land do not have a permit to do so, have them kicked off.

Ranching Lesson #3: Raise horses!
12-11-2013, 06:21 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from admin on December 11, 2013, 8:51 am</b>

Why raise horses? Is there more money in that? My husband's father was an owner and trainer of horses for the race horse industry and he said there's good money in...ummm....I forget what it's called, but it's where you let the horses come and rest on your land and the trainers have people come care for them while they are there.

Is that how your ranch makes money David?
</div>

Raising horses is pretty much a hobby, with no actual income; but horses are much prettier than cows.

The ranch here does not make money: it hemorrhages money like a severed neck. As far as I know the ranch has never had a year where income exceeded expenses. Cattle ranches with fewer than 300 cows (more or less) do not make profits: they almost all operate at a loss.