Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Hersey Too Far to Walk
12-12-2013, 12:54 PM,
Has anyone else read the John Hersey "Too Far to Walk" book? Just some stuff I picked up from the book that caught my eye. St. Elmo's Fire, I believe there is an old town called St.Elmo's in Colorado. A side character named Tendon Brown, and a place called Cruel Creek. They mention too far to walk several times, and from what I gather almost anything can be too far if you don't want to be there.
12-12-2013, 01:42 PM,
Never read it doesn't seem like it would lit a fire under my ass:

From front flap: Is there anywhere a young man so dull he would not sell his soul for experience? In this striking new novel, quite different from anything he has written before, John Hersey probes deeply, but with rich humor, into the aimlessness, boredom, and rebellion of a group of undergraduates in a New England college. In one of his remarkable insights into the problems of our times, he identifies their search for "breakthrough" - intense sensory experience of every kind - with the Faustian pursuit of illusion.

Source:http://www.amazon.com/Too-Far-Walk-John-Hersey/dp/B000UCMPGA
12-12-2013, 02:01 PM,
I've read it. It seemed too obvious a tie-in to pass up. I thought maybe it was some "important literature" that was hiding in plain sight. It's kind of like The Catcher in the Rye, but not as interesting, and with a happier ending. It's not an easy read. The main character is not very likable. The text goes from excruciatingly boring in the beginning to terribly confusing in the last third of the book, which consists of the recounting of one, long, bad acid trip. I got nothing useful out of the book, except as you say, any distance can be too far to walk if you don't want to go there. And of course the opposite is true at the very end of the book. No distance is too far to walk if you really do want to go there.

After reading the book I was fairly convinced it actually had nothing to do with Fenn's treasure hunt.

mdavis19

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  clomp- to walk with loud, heavy steps/walk with a heavy tread. Gordon Lightfoot 8 812 02-14-2019, 06:25 AM
Last Post: easternOHsteve
  John Wayne Bobbitt (The Chase's Celebrity) filmguy 6 691 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Last Post: HankJonesJr.
  Hey John Brown... fundamental design 8 3,149 07-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Last Post: old drum
  John Everett Millais ThrillChaser 2 1,990 04-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Hammertime
  Gold and More Hint Solved (Navajo Red - John Moyers)? minotaur_moreno 6 3,895 04-18-2016, 09:45 PM
Last Post: minotaur_moreno
  John Wayne will197532 2 1,250 02-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Tonto