Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Table of Contents
06-18-2013, 11:20 PM,
Table of Contents
Ever notice that there is not a table of contents or any numbering of the chapters in the book? If you subscribe to the idea that the book plays a role in deciphering the poem this may be significant. If you are in the "Poem is all you need" camp then ignore this topic, move along folks, nothing to see here.
06-19-2013, 03:52 AM,
Table of Contents
I think this might be something but I don't know what: Excluding the Preface and Epilog there are 25 chapters in the book, like the 25 letters that make up the poem (no x remember). I can't make any sense of it. Perhaps there is a "missing" chapter that tells you right where X marks the spot.

Here's a meaningless finding: If you take the some of the first letters of each chapter title, you can spell "Gold is gift" or "Find fossil" or a million other things to numerous to parse.

I think the missing ToC is because Forrest wants us to USE the book, dog ear the pages and load it with sticky yellow post-its, not just sit it on the shelf and treat it like a dictionary. "Please Touch" He wants the books smudged up with grubby fingers as we flip through looking for that one passage that will crack this thing open.

Have you ever thumbed through a book, trying to get a feel for what's inside, then found yourself fully engrossed, turning page after page somewhere in the middle, trying to piece together what you missed in the beginning of the book that you skipped but unwilling to lose the excitement of the story you're now hooked on? I have, and I've never done it with a book that has a ToC.
06-19-2013, 07:40 AM,
Table of Contents
I've tried to match up chapter contents with poem line content/interpretation in order to glean some help from the book in deciphering clues but haven't had any success or real "hit".
06-19-2013, 12:14 PM,
Table of Contents
Preface

1 Important Literature

2 First Grade

3 No Place for Biddies

4 Jump-Starting the Learning Curve

5 Bessie and Me

6 My Spanish Toy Factory

7 Me in the Middle

8 Surviving Myself

9 Gypsy Magic

10 In Love with Yellowstone

11 The Totem Cafe Caper

12 My Brother Being Skippy

13 The Long Ride Home

14 Looking for Lewis and Clark

15 Buffalo Cowboys

16 Stout-Hearted Men

17 My War for Me

18 Blue Jeans and Hush Puppies Again

19 Teachers with Ropes

20 Tea with Olga

21 Father on the Banco

22 Flywater

23 Gold and More

24 Dancing with the Millennium

25 Ode to Peggy Jean

Epilog

06-19-2013, 03:15 PM,
Table of Contents
What's with the three different colors of tea in chapter 20?
06-19-2013, 04:23 PM,
Table of Contents
Colorful Colorado is the state motto but Colorado is Spanish and I believe means to turn red or to blush. I have always believed that Tea with Olga points to WWWH, much like No Place for Biddies gives a hint to "No place for the meek". I also believe that both of these and more are alluded to in the chapter, Important Literature, which (to come back to the point of this thread) could be looked at as somewhat of a complicated table of contents. I tried to bring this up before but it turned into a discussion about whether the book was important or not - something I think is a mute point in a discussion about hints in the book but who am I to police? To use one of Forrest's favorite words, Anyway, I have noticed the absence of a table of contents and have been wrestling with this chapter, Important Literature as it hints at all the other chapters in the book and was thinking that maybe this is the table of contents that is missing.
06-21-2013, 09:31 PM,
Table of Contents
That gets back to crossing threads and links to the Hemingway discussion about not putting everything in print. It's there and you have to figure it out for yourself, he's not going to explain everything or state the obvious.