Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is what interested me in Aqua Fria Peak, 10 minutes into my search...
06-30-2017, 05:23 PM,
Legend behind the name Angel Fire (Angel Fire-Wikipedia)

It has been said that Angel Fire is "named for the fiery afternoon light splashed on alpine peaks". The legend behind the name is that the Moache Utes used to gather to renew their ancestral ties with the Great Spirit, and during one of these autumnal celebrations, during the 1780s, three young braves returned to camp from a hunting trip and told of a strange glow at the tip of a peak called Agua Fria. The Utes were a little unsettled as they gazed at this mysterious splash of orange and red flickering in the northern sky. Then the awed silence was broken when one of the elders exclaimed, "it is an omen -the fire of the gods- blessing our annual celebration." Thereafter, whenever that rosy glow was seen it was called "fire of the gods". When Franciscan friars were trying to spread their influence, Agua Fria's "fire of the gods" became known as "the place of the fire of the angels". Kit Carson said that he too had seen the angel fire at dawn and at dusk, especially in the fall and winter months. He said it was because of the sunlight hitting the icy frost on the branches of the trees.

Fenn said that he was spiritual and that the mountains were his church, and I imagine that Kit Carson was someone from the past that Forrest Fenn admired.

If I was dying, I would also want to go to such a place the Native Americans thought was sacred to pass. (the blaze)
07-01-2017, 09:46 PM,
RE: This is what interested me in Aqua Fria Peak, 10 minutes into my search...
This is a very common mistake that a lot of searchers make -- they find an interesting spot... and then look to shoehorn the poem into fitting the spot. You can beat the poem into submission and make it work to fit most any spot (this is called Data Mining within certain scientific fields)... but of course this isn't the way to solve the poem.

The right way to solve the poem: start with no preconceptions... and work your way into finding where the start is (there is a clever mechanism in the poem that will give you the right start, beyond a shadow of a doubt)... if you're on the right track then the clues will begin to fall like dominoes. The solutions will be clever, tight and incontrovertible (no, "show me something better" solutions).

I've told others this before -- but it helps to have experience solving word puzzles such as the Sunday NYT Crossword -- especially the pun clues that end in a question mark.
07-01-2017, 10:09 PM,
(07-01-2017, 09:46 PM)GoneAlone Wrote: This is a very common mistake that a lot of searchers make -- they find an interesting spot... and then look to shoehorn the poem into fitting the spot. You can beat the poem into submission and make it work to fit most any spot (this is called Data Mining within certain scientific fields)... but of course this isn't the way to solve the poem.

The right way to solve the poem: start with no preconceptions... and work your way into finding where the start is (there is a clever mechanism in the poem that will give you the right start, beyond a shadow of a doubt)... if you're on the right track then the clues will begin to fall like dominoes. The solutions will be clever, tight and incontrovertible (no, "show me something better" solutions).

I've told others this before -- but it helps to have experience solving word puzzles such as the Sunday NYT Crossword -- especially the pun clues that end in a question mark.

Well, when you only put in five hours and then sure you got it, what do you expect.... hehe.

Kpro

Email: kpro3@aol.com
07-01-2017, 10:52 PM,
(07-01-2017, 10:09 PM)Kpro Wrote:
(07-01-2017, 09:46 PM)GoneAlone Wrote: This is a very common mistake that a lot of searchers make -- they find an interesting spot... and then look to shoehorn the poem into fitting the spot. You can beat the poem into submission and make it work to fit most any spot (this is called Data Mining within certain scientific fields)... but of course this isn't the way to solve the poem.

Well, when you only put in five hours and then sure you got it, what do you expect.... hehe.

Kpro

And yet this solve is as good as any I've seen, and maybe better than most.
And I'm impressed GL actually put BOTG.
If anyone has a better solve, please prove so.
07-02-2017, 08:39 AM,

^^^what he said^^^
07-02-2017, 08:49 AM,
(07-01-2017, 10:52 PM)Goldway Wrote:
(07-01-2017, 10:09 PM)Kpro Wrote:

Kpro

And yet this solve is as good as any I've seen, and maybe better than most.
And I'm impressed GL actually put BOTG.
If anyone has a better solve, please prove so.

Everyone has confidence and yet they don't have the chest. That is my point. For months and months and months of silly "I know it after five hours and none of you can figure it out" posts, just calling it like I see it.

I haven't seen the detail of this particular solve so can't say this one is any more clever than mine or yours or the next persons, but it is a binary measure to me - you have it or you don't. The big difference is posts until botg, which were high in number, over confident and even condescending to searchers. Just calling it like I see it.

Kpro

07-02-2017, 09:16 AM,

It's not an interesting solve, it's the solve. I just got out of the house too early.......like those who searched in Idaho and Utah.
07-02-2017, 09:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2017, 09:33 AM by The Count.)
I've always thought this area had a great reflection of the poem but most searchers will use Eagles Nest lake as there WWWH and then move south to Angel Fire but then Fenn came out with WWWH is not a dam crushed that solve. I in no way believe WWWH is the cycle of precipatation that happens every year in the Rockies its just far too vague. If you could find a better WWWH in that area it might be worth another search. One thing I've been thinking about a lot is why the TFTW map highlighted the entire eastern slope of the Rockies in the United States and leaves out pretty much the entire western slope, when considering this one would think the eastern side of the Rockies may be more important to the correct solve then the western slope.

down with the evil twin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For those interested... Mindy 1 875 11-26-2018, 04:07 PM
Last Post: mrmagicarovrumrebel
  The peak of the Chase debbiedowner 20 7,896 08-02-2017, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Seeker9
  I think that I was at the right place on Aqua Fria Peak... Gordon Lightfoot 9 4,742 07-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Last Post: fallingrock
  Is F interested in the finder? HarryFool 5 1,749 06-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Guest
  Have you talked to people that just arent interested? tomwhat 32 17,339 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Last Post: wishiIwasRich