Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stumbling upon the bones
07-27-2017, 10:15 AM,
Stumbling upon the bones
FF has said pretty clearly that the hiding spot for the treasure is the same as where he planned to die. For example…

Question: "Is the chest hidden in the (exact) same spot that you would like your bones to be found, or is it a short distance away for reasons beyond your control? ~ Phil"

Answer: "The spot is the same, but in less than two months I’ll be 84 and that means many of the things to which I once aspired are no longer available to me. I still anticipate, but I may be unable to grasp such a transient pleasure before my trail shows signs of growing too weary for the journey. To make that success would be the boldest move I ever made and to that end I just want it all the more.f"

So it seems that the hiding spot must be some place that can conceal a body from accidental discovery. How is it possible for a hiding spot that some searchers have been within 200 feet of and more have been within 500 ft to reliably conceal Fenn’s body? The process of decay (odor) and animal scavenging (bone scattering) would seem to dramatically increase the chance of accidental discovery of the treasure chest.

I’ve had a solve that fits the 80 year old man, 200/500 ft, etc criteria, but fails in the accidental discovery of bones/body criteria.

If we take Fenn at his word with no intent to mislead and no subterfuge on his part, what kind of hiding spot would conceal his body from discovery? Perhaps downhill from the people at 200/500 feet? Maybe wedged in a rock inaccessible by animals? A place where no “large” scavengers exist? To me, none of these sound particularly plausible.

Any thoughts on how is it possible to reliably conceal human remains (possibly scattered) in a place an 80 year man can go and that people have been within 200/500 feet of?

Thanks,

Mack
07-27-2017, 10:18 AM,
Stumbling upon the bones
A cave where the entrance is blocked by water.
07-27-2017, 10:46 AM,
RE: Stumbling upon the bones
You remind me of someone here suggesting a trash can below a fire tower might be the hidey spot.
I think they called the metal lid a "scant".

But you've made it clear Fenn wouldn't want his bones in a trash bin.
07-27-2017, 10:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2017, 11:01 AM by Mack.)
(07-27-2017, 10:35 AM)realistrealist Wrote: One which has a prominent feature which distracts visitors from other areas around it. Up a small hill into a stone wall which looks like there is nothing behind the hill, but instead dips down into a small hole on the stone wall.

Interesting!
Confirmation bias alert on what follows! The spot I'm thinking about is about < 500ft from a moderately well-traveled trail and < 200ft from a less-traveled trail. Both trails lead to a "featured" destination. Further, it is up hill to the spot. I can't tell however, if there is a stone "wall" there, though I know large rocks/outcroppings are among the trees in the area.

Still, 200 feet is an awfully short distance, especially given the odor of a decaying large mammal. Hmmm...anything to obscure the smell?

(07-27-2017, 10:46 AM)Goldway Wrote: You remind me of someone here suggesting a trash can below a fire tower might be the hidey spot.
I think they called the metal lid a "scant".

But you've made it clear Fenn wouldn't want his bones in a trash bin.

Nah, wasn't me. The solution I have in mind isn't anywhere near a fire tower or any other structure. That is a really weird visual of Fenn climbing into a trash can to die!!!
07-27-2017, 11:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2017, 11:12 AM by pidmt.)
(07-27-2017, 10:18 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: A cave where the entrance is blocked by water.

fenn said stay out of caves and mines ,he said its not in a cave or mine
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
07-27-2017, 11:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2017, 11:24 AM by crazyfamily.)
Stumbling upon the bones
(07-27-2017, 11:06 AM)pidmt Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 10:18 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: A cave where the entrance is blocked by water.

Well, the way I remember it he told Gabby Schwartz to stay out of caves and he said the treasure is not in a mine. But a rock ledge is not a cave and could still be blocked by water. It's just a hypothetical, the OP asked and I answered. To me it's like the Fenn comment about the bike and throwing the bike in water high. If you can't think of the possibilities, then you lack imagination. I might be mixing up the comments a little as I'm working from memory, but the basics are there.

The other thing about this approach is that it assumes that Forrest cares about what happens to his bones.
07-27-2017, 11:41 AM,
I think Fenn found a place and we have to follow the clues to discover it for ourselves. In other words, it's not a named feature. So, for example, if you think it is behind a waterfall, it's not going to be Bridal Veil Falls. You might find it on Google Earth, if not then you have to put botg and follow the clues.

I doubt he cares if animals eat his remains, but it would have to be someplace remote (wouldn't want a bear to tear a leg off and drop it on the road or in someone's back yard)
07-27-2017, 11:45 AM,
You got me wondering if Fenn hid a promissory note in the treasure chest saying that in exchange for the contents of the treasure--which are hidden in a safety deposit box rather than in the chest--the finder of the treasure chest agrees to bury Fenn's mortal remains in that secret spot and agrees not to reveal the secret location to anyone.

This could explain why Fenn knows the chest hasn't been found yet.

If Fenn were still alive when the box is found, they could still reach some kind of agreement for a later burial because only the grateful searcher would know the spot and he might not get the full treasure until Fenn is dead and buried where he wants to be.

Having a searcher secretly bury Fenn there might be the ONLY way Fenn could get his bones into his special spot, and this could be the real motivation for the chase: i.e. for it to end with Fenn buried in his secret spot.

"If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold."

That could mean if the searcher who finds the spot agrees to bravely (it's illegal?) bury Fenn within his coffin in the secret spot, that Fenn will assign him the rest of the treasure in exchange for that grim task.

Fenn would have had to prearrange matters with a lawyer, of course, to get this done. Not sure how all that would work, but I could imagine it is possible.

Crazy idea, but interesting.
07-27-2017, 11:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2017, 11:52 AM by Mack.)
(07-27-2017, 11:19 AM)crazyfamily Wrote:
(07-27-2017, 11:06 AM)pidmt Wrote:

Well, the way I remember it he told Gabby Schwartz to stay out of caves and he said the treasure is not in a mine. But a rock ledge is not a cave and could still be blocked by water. It's just a hypothetical, the OP asked and I answered. To me it's like the Fenn comment about the bike and throwing the bike in water high. If you can't think of the possibilities, then you lack imagination. I might be mixing up the comments a little as I'm working from memory, but the basics are there.

The other thing about this approach is that it assumes that Forrest cares about what happens to his bones.
It does matter if his scattered bones lead to the accidental discovery of the chest. This discovery would kind of defeat the purpose of the whole thing. I think Fenn thought about this possibility and worked to avoid it.

(07-27-2017, 11:41 AM)dude here Wrote: I think Fenn found a place and we have to follow the clues to discover it for ourselves. In other words, it's not a named feature. So, for example, if you think it is behind a waterfall, it's not going to be Bridal Veil Falls. You might find it on Google Earth, if not then you have to put botg and follow the clues.

I doubt he cares if animals eat his remains, but it would have to be someplace remote (wouldn't want a bear to tear a leg off and drop it on the road or in someone's back yard)

That's the dilemma. What area is remote enough to avoid ones' bones being found, yet people have already been within 500 or 200 feet of? Presumably, after he died and his remains were scattered, people would still be coming within 500 or 200 feet and would likely stumble upon bones. This would likely lead to the quick discovery of the chest.
07-27-2017, 03:03 PM,
(07-27-2017, 11:41 AM)dude here Wrote: I think Fenn found a place and we have to follow the clues to discover it for ourselves. In other words, it's not a named feature. So, for example, if you think it is behind a waterfall, it's not going to be Bridal Veil Falls. You might find it on Google Earth, if not then you have to put botg and follow the clues.

Correct

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  leave my bones zombiecupkake 11 2,843 07-27-2019, 09:29 PM
Last Post: crazyfamily
  Leave My Bones And Take The Chest Eldorado 11 5,946 01-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Last Post: jdigginsz
  Does FF want to still leave his bones at the treasure "spot?" troutfisher 10 4,894 04-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Last Post: musstag
  Bones rotting in the sun.......... Project Why 46 21,822 07-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Last Post: deb
  Take the Chest but Leave my Bones... glock20 39 17,201 07-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mdavis19
  BACK TO THE BONES COMMENT/POEM REVISION 23kachinas 6 2,975 06-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Last Post: decall