Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And with my treasures bold
07-14-2013, 08:18 AM,
I have a theory about the word bold. It actually involves the first two lines of the poem. I see them as a single clue.

"As I have gone alone in there

And with my treasures bold,"

I think the word alone is the key. If he is just hiding something, then it goes without saying that he did it alone. Why mention it in the poem? Unless being alone has another meaning? There are a lot of places in the southwest where you aren't supposed to go alone. There are large areas of Indian land and lots of archaeological sites that are off-limits unless you hire an official guide or are part of a ranger-led tour group. Going into one of those places alone to hide the treasure would be a pretty bold act. Forrest has been accused of being a pot-hunter and had legal troubles over it. Entering a restricted site alone would be a really bold act for him after that. Hiding the treasure in such a restricted area would also help ensure it isn't found for a long time. I think he said he hopes it isn't found for a couple thousand years. Hiding it in a place where people aren't allowed to disturb things and where development will never happen could ensure that.
07-14-2013, 10:17 AM,
Even if you don't change the spelling, "Bold" also means:

5. Steep or abrupt in grade or terrain: bold cliffs.
07-14-2013, 12:19 PM,
I don't think FF would hide the treasure in a location where he would be putting the finder at risk of breaking the law. Wherever it is located, it is safe and legal to enter without having a guide etc... The location will be in the public domain with open access, albeit with the possibility of restrictions such as the type of vehicle that can be used or maybe only on foot or horseback as in a wilderness area. I like the idea of a alone as a key word, especially if is cryptography involved. A lot of folks have eliminated cryptography for themselves it seems, but I'm not certain why. I still am a hold-out.
07-14-2013, 01:11 PM,
Hmm.. In the Journal of a Trapper, Osborne mentions that he found a perfectly formed 9 gallon granite jar(bowl?). Probably he didn't take it with...

Fenn and Donnie Joe set off on adventure, not to find Lewis and Clarke as Fenn told his Dad, but to find something to do with Osborne...
07-14-2013, 01:12 PM,
bucky48,

I don't believe for a minute that Forrest would respect such rules. He has a history of skirting them in the past. He has an ego as big as all outdoors, and I think he has probably reached the age of not giving a damn.

Hiding the treasure in such a place could also explain how he knows that:

A. The treasure hasn't been found yet.

B. Some people have been within 500 feet of it.

The only explorations or excavations that could legally go on in these areas would publish the results of their findings, including finding the chest. Tourists would be regularly visiting the sites and could be listening to rangers lecture about the ancient ones while Forrest's treasure sits nearby. "riches new and old."

Forrest is a crafty one. I am coming to the conclusion that he doesn't want his treasure found anytime soon. He wants people to still be looking for it in 2000 years.

mdavis19
07-15-2013, 10:55 AM,
He is crafty, but I have to beg to differ. I think he has a big heart, he is a dad and a husband. I cannot see him putting it in a place where it would get a person in trouble, he wants us to bring our kids and have adventure, NOT parents going to jail and kids lives being ruined...... I think that would devastate him if that happened. But that is just my opinion as I am not a professional profiler.....although I am a teacher so I am pretty good at profiling.....
07-15-2013, 12:33 PM,
jen,

I don't think he is trying to get people in trouble. On the contrary. If my theory is correct, then he would be depending on people sheepishly obeying the law to keep his treasure hidden. The only person who might have committed a crime would be him. Though the worst things he could be charged with would be trespassing and littering (imagine leaving a treasure chest full of gold at a restricted site being called littering). When I said he was at the age of not giving a damn, I meant he probably wouldn't care too much about being charged with a couple of misdemeanors if he got caught while hiding the chest.

Forrest is a master manipulator and tireless self-promoter. Convincing us that this is all about us and our kids having an adventure is pure genius on his part, but also pure bunkum. I am more and more convinced each day that Forrest's real motive here is immortality. Anyone reading TTOTC has to see that he is obsessed with not being forgotten after he dies like most people are. He hammers that point home again and and again in the book. I'm certain he wants people uttering his name and searching for his treasure forever. That's the real reason he did it.

mdavis19
07-15-2013, 12:51 PM,
Thanks for clarifying.

I do agree he does NOT want to be forgotten!
07-15-2013, 02:21 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
If my theory is correct, then he would be depending on people sheepishly obeying the law to keep his treasure hidden.
</div>
I agree 100%. The person who decides to get off that marked trail, or jumps that fence, or climbs down into that "off-limits" place, will be the one who finds the chest. This is how I've developed my strategy, assuming that all the easy, safe, and legal places have already been searched by the "rule readers". He mentions being a scoundrel at times, so I think you need to be a little scoundrel-like, a rule-bender, to get that chest. Boo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A bold statement, but I'll make it anyway... 99.9% solved 38 7,756 07-01-2018, 05:40 PM
Last Post: fundamental design
  Is "with my treasures bold" the hint to WWWH? monkeyking 6 2,289 12-29-2017, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  Prepare to be Super Bold NTMI 2 1,144 02-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Last Post: NTMI
  Little Treasures by Dal decall 3 2,029 06-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Project Why
  Treasures Hammertime 13 6,370 03-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Hammertime
  Two Treasures musstag 1 1,061 03-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Last Post: HollyfromMN