Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Book Preview: Preface and Chapter 1
09-16-2017, 05:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2017, 08:43 AM by Iron Will.)
My Book Preview: Preface and Chapter 1
I wont publish until I find the chest, but I thought I'd preview it with everyone, for two reasons....

1. to get feedback from you all

2. to help break up the staleness of she said, he said, and give us something to entertain.

The Book is a story of my life up until the discovery of the treasure. It is envisioned off of Forrest's ToTC. Everything within is an accurate memory of my past, however short you may get to glimpse.

I hope you like it..

“It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.”
― William Shakespeare

T I T L E

by Will Carter

The amazing true story of a boy growing up through love and loss, joy and pain, to discover his lifelong destiny of being the only person on Earth to find the legendary Forrest Fenn treasure.

(part of ) Acknowledgements

I would like to thank all those who searched for Fenn’s trove, for being incredible human beings. You stood, feet firm to the ground, in defiance of those who laughed at your ideas or ridiculed the prospect of searching for treasure. Let this book remind them what could have been…if only they had believed as you did.

PREFACE

There was once a time when I was about to give up. I was on the verge of making the choice to stop hoping, believing, and trying to find my greatness.
At forty-one, I was an unemployed career carpenter during a housing crisis and back to living with my father in our family home. I was doing odd jobs to make ends meet, such as wiping up urine and feces at a dog kennel, cutting yards with an antiquated push mower, and even wading neck-deep in stagnant pond water constructing a gazebo deck above the surface, while sun perch nipped at my legs beneath. I had lived on my own since the age of eighteen, and here I stood now, humbled by my plight. But it wasn’t always like that.
Once upon a time, I was well on my way to achieving incredible things. Beating life in its personal game with me, I felt anything that I desired was possible. But then, something happened. Life suddenly started hitting back.

Time and time again, I made naïve choices or picked the wrong path when it came to a fork. Soon, I was without grandparents, a mother, or a sister. And those were just the victims in my immediate family. The weight of that sadness was so new and unexpected it hurled me into an abyss that I feared could never be overcome. I started looking for reasons, as well as explanations, in a desperate attempt to salvage what was left of me. I searched for answers in the mirror of my life and even from other great men who had a similar story to tell.
During that time, I found that a famous man once said, “We create our own demons.” Who said that? What does it mean? I said it because he said it. So now…umm…hold on. That needs to be explained in a different way. Let’s look at this from the beginning…

CHAPTER 1
ALPHA AND OMEGA
It’s about one in the afternoon. If you were to scan around the room now, you would see incredible displays of childlike wonder. Several crayon stick figures holding hands while basking in a spoke-shaped sunlight adorn the wall. Soft, foam mats lie scattered about the floor in a random and unintelligible placement. Scissors, along with gooey white paste and crudely cut strips of paper, lay scattered on the two tables near the west side of the room. On the north wall, a black, void-like, slate surface containing specter-like streaks, seemingly placed with reason.
As I rub my eyes in an attempt to gain back substantial focus of the surroundings, something catches my notice…movement. One after another, figures begin stirring in this utopian moment of life. As I start to realize my situation, a voice softly beckons from behind me, “All right, children…let’s wake up. Nap time is over, and we’ve got exciting things to talk about.” It takes about five minutes for all the kids to gain back their awareness, stretch, and gather in a huddled mass on the carpet around Mrs. Gingers, our kindergarten teacher.

After the usual wake-up speech and an eight-ounce carton of delicious, creamy chocolate milk, we all sit poised…ready for more new and amazing facts from the adult world to filter into our awaiting sponge like minds. “Today, class, I want to speak about something that is as important as all of the children around you right now. It is called…death. How many of you know what death is?” I look around the room at the now-blank stares. The students’ eyes are wide open and their gazes fixed on Mrs. Gingers. I think most of us knew death to be something akin to paralysis. Like when a butterfly you captured and put in a jar one day stops moving. At that age, you wonder if it’s sick…or asleep. Maybe it’s just injured. That’s got to be it! Because that winged insect is still so beautiful, and it’s still there. Regardless of what some of us thought it might be, we all paid attention. Back then, any advice or knowledge from an adult was fuel to our fire. No one raises his or her hand, so she continues.
“You see, children, everything around you is full of life. The sights, the sounds, the sensation in what you touch, the smells your little noses sense each day…they’re all a part of life. Even the feelings you get when you are finding new things or are laughing with the other kids…those too are life. To understand what death is, I would best explain it as such. All those visions, smells, the feelings you get each day, all the laughter, the brightness around you…when you die, it all simply…stops. Everything would be black. You would have no feelings. You would not even know that you are dead because everything you understand no longer exists. And it is going to happen someday, just as sure as you are sitting here right now; one day…we will die.” You can hear a pin drop in this once-noisy room, previously bustling with laughter and chatter. When I see these new friends around me, I’m not focusing on their confused and bewildered looks at the teacher’s explanation. Why? Because in that moment of time, I knew exactly what death was.
I could feel the tears starting to well up in the corners of my eyes as I realized it all internally. One day, these children around me that I’ve been laughing and playing with will be gone. The crayon drawings will disappear. My family will die, and I will cease to exist. There will be no more chocolate milk! A flood of emotion boiled to the surface. I thought, I’m only five years old! I don’t want to die! I started crying and blabbering on uncontrollably about how it all wasn’t fair. Most of the kids looked at me in confusion. I suppose they just didn’t understand it. But death was not going to get me so easily!
I scanned the room for a protective place, much like a rainbow trout swimming frantically under a rock outcropping as a godlike man with a stick and string draws closer, trying to snatch it from its life that it knows so well. I quickly noticed Mrs. Gingers’ desk and thought for sure that it would protect me. I made a mad dash and dove under the chair, wiping away old tears as new ones took their place on my cheeks. I curled up in ball and laid there crying for over twenty minutes, screaming in defiance as our teacher tried to calm my outburst and coax me out. If she takes me from my hiding spot…I am going to die! I just know it!

My mother, Agnes, was also a teacher at this elementary school. With no success, Mrs. Gingers went and brought her to try and calm me down. She came to the room and eventually convinced me to stay with her in her third-grade class. As we entered the classroom, I was still crying, and now her students were staring at me in confusion as well. I glanced over at the desk and pulled away from my mother’s side. I dove under it and curled up, closed my eyes, and sobbed the rest of the day. She tried to talk to me on the car ride home, but all I could do was cry and scream, “I don’t wanna die! It’s not fair!”
When we got home, I went running to my bedroom, grabbed a pillow and blanket, and dove under my bed. I hid there on the maple-wood floor with the wool blanket pulled up over my head. As I tried to drift off into slumber, my thoughts began trying to make sense of this crisis. After a losing struggle with my newfound inner conflict, everything faded into darkness.

It was about five in the morning when I finally awoke. I felt refreshed but also famished, as I had gone to bed without eating supper the night before. I crawled out from under the bed and noticed Brian, my brother, sleeping peacefully on the other side of the room. I quietly tiptoed out of the room and down the hallway past my parents’ door, trying not to make a sound. That was a difficult task to accomplish on a maple floor, as the slats would sometimes creak or pop under even my light footsteps. Upon reaching the kitchen, I opened the refrigerator and poured myself a small glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, slid a chair over to the cabinet, and grabbed a Pop-Tart from the shelf. After a minute or two of munching on the crust around the edge of the pastry, which was always my favorite part, I heard a creak on the floor in the hall. Moments later, my mother appeared, entered the kitchen half asleep, and smiled at me. “Hey, kiddo…are you all right now? Do you want to stay home today or talk about it with me?” she asked.
I just looked up at her calmly, spilled juice and crumbs all over my shirt, and said the one thing that immediately wiped all the cobwebs from her eyes. She stared at me as if I had just learned calculus. What I said was, “It’s okay now, Mom—I’m not afraid of dying anymore.” That Pop-Tart sure tasted good.
09-16-2017, 07:04 PM,
RE: My Book Preview: Preface and Chapter 1
That's rally good, will. I could totally see it. Great writing!
I knew you had the imagination this chase takes! Great job, thanks for sharing! :-)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
09-16-2017, 07:12 PM,
(09-16-2017, 07:04 PM)jdigginsz Wrote: That's rally good, will. I could totally see it. Great writing!
I knew you had the imagination this chase takes! Great job, thanks for sharing! :-)

well thank you Jamie! I'm on my cell phone wifi to the computer now, because I spilled smirnoff on the modem! So its slow cell phone mode until Monday morning. Tongue
09-16-2017, 07:24 PM,
(09-16-2017, 07:12 PM)Iron Will Wrote:
(09-16-2017, 07:04 PM)jdigginsz Wrote: That's rally good, will. I could totally see it. Great writing!

well thank you Jamie! I'm on my cell phone wifi to the computer now, because I spilled smirnoff on the modem! So its slow cell phone mode until Monday morning.
Slowing to my pace...i like it...lol! ;-)

09-16-2017, 09:07 PM,
wow no creative criticism? No advise? Hrmm I must've did well.
09-16-2017, 09:24 PM,
IW - no critic here. Well written, nice balance of emotion and real content. I would say every book needs a hook - if you found the TC, and with your skill with the written word, it would be a great read.

I do have to admit though whoever finds the TC, if they put out a video, book, or sketch on a bar napkin, I would buy it to here about the solve and as a statement of respect to the one that cracked this thing.
09-16-2017, 09:29 PM,
I don't want this to seem hurtful, but because you want criticism here goes. The writing is good. It has a nice warm tone to it, even though I can sense maybe some trouble coming. The problem is the same problem Fenn had as a writer. Without the treasure, no one really cares.
09-16-2017, 09:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2017, 09:36 PM by FollowMeDown.)
I don't know that if I even found the treasure that there would be much to write about. I'd just be a lucky guy who had figured out the clues. Your writing style is nice. I feel like any of us, if we're lucky enough to find it, are still footnotes to The whole story. That being said, I envy you for having that talent. I don't.
09-16-2017, 09:33 PM,
(09-16-2017, 09:29 PM)TrapperJ Wrote: I don't want this to seem hurtful, but because you want criticism here goes. The writing is good. It has a nice warm tone to it, even though I can sense maybe some trouble coming. The problem is the same problem Fenn had as a writer. Without the treasure, no one really cares.

Dont worry about that factor. Wink
09-17-2017, 08:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-17-2017, 08:40 AM by Iron Will.)
(09-16-2017, 11:00 PM)Andrew Jef Wrote: Great writing, Iron Will. I suggest some proofreading (not for content) by
someone other than the author could be helpful. It's hard to spot one's
own mistakes.

Good luck in the treasure hunt . . . there's a lot of competition, and some
of it is stiffer than you might imagine.

Thanks Andrew, I had both CreateSpace and a professional editor do a total of 3 proof reads.

But all is for naught with no chest

(09-16-2017, 09:32 PM)FollowMeDown Wrote: I don't know that if I even found the treasure that there would be much to write about. I'd just be a lucky guy who had figured out the clues. Your writing style is nice. I feel like any of us, if we're lucky enough to find it, are still footnotes to The whole story. That being said, I envy you for having that talent. I don't.

Hey Frank,

I understand, what you're saying. I wrote the book mainly to help people in a few ways. One was so people could understand who the only person in the world to find Fenn's treasure (assuming if I found it) was and how he/she came to be. Second, I wanted to help people with life advise. Do you remember the cartoon growing up called Aesop's Fables? It would tell stories that taught "lessons in life". I worded my life stories in a way to explain "lessons in life" to help people. Take Chapter 1 that I showed above. It's moral after reading, is that the problems you encounter in life are not as bad as they seem. Sometimes all you need is a good night's sleep or some comfort food and BAM! Everything is all better Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TTOTC chapter, "Bessie and Me" trueyeti 0 666 02-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: trueyeti
  TTOTC chapter, “Me in the Middle” trueyeti 2 1,351 02-03-2021, 08:22 PM
Last Post: crazyfamily
  Not the preface zombiecupkake 10 4,005 01-29-2019, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Chris Yates
  Each Chapter in TTOTC Hammertime 6 2,919 08-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Last Post: John Brown
  Themes for each Chapter (TTOTC) filmguy 0 1,294 03-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Last Post: filmguy