Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10,000 years down the road...
01-09-2014, 12:21 PM,

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Butch on January 10, 2014, 6:53 am</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<b>Quote from NTMI on January 10, 2014, 1:20 am</b>

So the trick is to filter out the games/social aspect and folly. But just how do you go about doing that?

For instance, one searcher said recently " 300 miles west of Toledo Spain is in the ocean." Another searcher said "when I put my ear up to my solve, I can hear the ocean". Can you determine which might be folly and which might be wisdom? I'm still stumped, and I don't think that I'll ever be ranked if I'm stumped.

Now, being rank, on the other hand......
</div>

*lol* being rank. A big reason that many are stumped is the interaction, through email and public events, that Forrest has with searchers. As everyone else, I enjoy hearing what he has to say. Do I entertain everything he says? Yes, but nothing has helped so far, except the unspoken word, which speaks clearer than anything. This chase <i>has</i> become a social exercise given media interaction, but I applaud Dal and Stephanie (yes, even Toby Smile) for their efforts. The true folly is following the crowd. Here's how I break it down: only one searcher (or group) will gain fortune; all others rank second. When you extrapolate that to the blogs, most "ideas" will be off-base and few will be credible. Were I to give one piece of advice, it would be to give heed to the minority opinion. BTW, I have read your posts, NTMI---you have the mind it will take to solve this puzzle.</div>
</div>

Hey, thanks, butch - and I WILL heed your opinion, because if you think that I have the mind it will take to solve this puzzle, then you are DEFINITELY in the minority! I respectfully disagree with you - and so do I, Butch, but thanks anyway!

Yes! We're #2! We're #2! 8O
01-09-2014, 12:31 PM,
as a searcher I do not take into consideration the 1000 year statment. I believe Fenn would like to see his prize found in his lifetime.. long as the climate and terrain remain the same over the next thousand years,the poem could work for searcher in the distant future. d
01-09-2014, 12:33 PM,
Mr. Fenn said he was ambivalent about the chest ever being found. If it's stuck in a crack in a ledge somewhere, it could be safe for centuries. Findable is a different story, if there is a physical blaze, I would say that there is no guarantee that the blaze would last as long. I don't see anything about the chase being a test of time, 10,000 years, seems to spell that out pretty clearly. Just saying James
01-09-2014, 02:01 PM,
Personally, I wouldn't spend too much time reading into this statement. However, as any searcher can attest, we're all wired to squeeze every last drop of meaning from each word he says. To that end...I think the 10,000 year remark seems to support the theory that the clues in the poem do not reference real, physical places.

With nature, landscape and geography can change in an instant or remain untouched for centuries or millenia. There is just no guarantee that specific landmarks will be around in their current form forever.

I understand I may be in the minority and people may scoff at the thought, but I think the only real place referenced in the poem is the location of the treasure. And my guess is that location is somehow hidden in the letters and words of the poem. In my opinion, this means that warm waters aren't lakes, rivers, streams, dams, hot springs or any other physical element dealing with H2O. Canyon does not refer to the valley between two hills/mountains, river bottom, grave or any other naturally occurring feature with a depression in the middle. Home of Brown isn't a fish hatchery, a cabin, an outhouse, a boat ramp, a national park, a historic trail or anything else associated with a real person, place or thing. They're all just words on a page. As long as the poem remains intact in its original form as intended by the author, the path, markers, confirmations, blaze and location of the chest remain untouched regardless of the passage of time.
01-09-2014, 02:49 PM,
@ SidnCharley, "They're all just words on a page" I might get that as a tatoo.
01-09-2014, 02:50 PM,
SidnCharley,

You said it better then I did. Although you and I may disagree on the Blaze being physical, the elements of the poem are not, and thus those elements should stand the test if time. Excluding a major catastrophe in which case the hunt would most likely end.

I brought this subject of time back up because it seems to be one of the only statements that FF said after the release of the book that would make one think, why? such a time span. So many changes could occur and yet some future searcher would still be able or should be able to find it a 1000 years down the road. It is just very interesting to me [ IMO]

ps you forgot Bear. But "anything else" should cover that!
01-09-2014, 02:52 PM,

<b>Quote from SidnCharley on January 9, 2014, 2:01 pm</b>

can change in an instant or remain untouched for centuries or millenia. There is just no guarantee that specific landmarks will be around in their current form forever.
</div>

10,000 years is the blink of an eye on geological time scales. My area has not changed much over the past 10 millennia. Ditto for my blaze, which is the sun. We're looking for Fenn's Rainbow right? There are no rainbows without the sun! As far as "forever" goes I agree and then some. There is a guarantee that nothing will be around in its current form forever!
01-09-2014, 03:24 PM,
Your theory is explained well Sid. The ultimate way to distract someone from what you are really saying is to cloak what you are really telling them within a meaningful and colorful story with alternate meanings that pull you elsewhere. So the true meaning of the hiding place is a purloined letter that is right in front of you that you can't see due to the misdirection of secret wheres, waters halt and homes of Brown. So the meanings of the language of the poem are misdirection but the location of the treasure is lurking within and requires a careful archaeological dig to uncover. What does that imply in light of Forrest saying that the poem was "straight-forward".

Regarding the 1,000 or 10,000 year issue, I think that Forrest's poem will stand now or thru millenia as the tool to find the treasure chest.

Which raises another issue that always bugged me:

It would be really easy to write a poem that was easy to solve quickly.

It would be really easy to write a poem that was impossible to solve.

It's really, really hard to figure out how to write a poem that is Just Right, that's not too easy but not too hard.

So, how can the person writing the poem truly know just how hard the poem will be for those reading it? There's no litmus test or test drive, other than releasing it to the public. I'm sure Forrest pondered this over the 15 years...

Halogetter

01-09-2014, 03:30 PM,
Wow how different we all think. In my solve the blaze is not a physical thing but a descriptive one that starts in history. I think when he said the 1000 years he was giving us an idea to consider. That lead me to my HOB. My HOB is timeless and yet a place also. I know it sounds crazy but thats my blaze. If you are going to mock me please skip it.
Shhh they aren't listening.
01-09-2014, 03:48 PM,
Deb, there is nothing to mock you about..its your brains image of the end of the poem/journey/the trials..I only took a ouick sneak peak at it ,do you see indians there? i did ,jst. joshin!!! Winkd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did the chicken cross the road? trueyeti 0 408 01-04-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: trueyeti
  Fork in the road mrmagicarovrumrebel 21 6,617 01-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Last Post: astree
  Ff and his brother took a road trip. mikemarcum878 0 834 07-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Last Post: mikemarcum878
  the secret road disappointment Chris Yates 15 10,154 02-14-2016, 06:48 PM
Last Post: JamLady
  Good road trip song BrazenBull 5 3,270 01-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Tony