Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where exactly are the Rockey Mountains?
12-09-2017, 04:35 PM,
Where exactly are the Rockey Mountains?
I have been naively assuming that the Rocky Mountains refer to basically everywhere in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana north of Santa Fe.

Recently I stumbled upon the USGS site regarding the Rocky Mountains. Here is the site:

https://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/parks/provin...kymtn.html

There are two linked maps that I found very interesting:

https://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/parks/provin...tnSUBS.gif

this gives boundaries to the Rocky Mountains.

and this one shows the boundaries and the National Parks/Monuments that are in the Rocky Mountains.

https://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/parks/provin...yparks.jpg

What is interesting is that according to these (the USGS) many places I thought were part of the Rocky Mountains are not. For example:

Denver, Colorado Springs, Cheyenne, Casper, Sheridan, Great Falls, Billings

Chaco Culture NHP, Mesa Verde NP, Yucca House NM, Hovenweep NM, Fort Union NM, Fort Laramie NHS, Little Big Horn Battle NP

That at least helps me narrow the search greatly.
12-09-2017, 05:18 PM,
RE: Where exactly are the Rockey Mountains?
(12-09-2017, 05:00 PM)FennMaster Wrote: I think the area of the map shown with the poem is the viable search area; if that is what you're after.

It isn't. He ruled out everything less than 8 1/4 miles north of the northern reaches of Santa Fe unambiguously after Randy went missing.
12-10-2017, 03:40 AM,
(12-09-2017, 05:35 PM)FennMaster Wrote: yes, minus that ^^^^^

Now I am just more confused? This year he said "If your solve is in the desert, get a new solve, and remember, much of the Rio Grande River is not in the Rocky Mountains." Yet much of the area included in the map specifically Western Colorado South of Dinosaur and parts of New Mexico east of the Sangria de Cristo Mountains are desert. So is it anywhere on the map, even if it is desert or just the Rocky Mountains? Denver is definitely in the plains not in the mountains but it is on the map, so is it in or out?

The reference to on the map is from the 2014 statement "Forth, there is some geographical dispute about whether Bandelier National Monument is in the Rocky Mountains but since it is shown on the map in my Too Far to Walk book it must be considered within the search area." So now with the 8.25 miles north of Santa Fe...is Bandelier in or out.
12-10-2017, 09:49 AM,
(12-09-2017, 05:18 PM)John Brown Wrote:
(12-09-2017, 05:00 PM)FennMaster Wrote: I think the area of the map shown with the poem is the viable search area; if that is what you're after.

It isn't. He ruled out everything less than 8 1/4 miles north of the northern reaches of Santa Fe unambiguously after Randy went missing.

The 8.25 Miles north of Sante Fe quote is actually from a post by Forrwst Fenn (sic) on the Mountainwalk blog. It is important to note that it was actually 66,000 links north of Sante Fe... and that it never said New Mexico.

In fact, I believe this is a very important clue having nothing to do with New Mexico... or even 'north' of Sante Fe.

But one should go to the source material in EVERY case in the chase.
12-10-2017, 04:56 PM,
(12-10-2017, 02:35 PM)FennMaster Wrote:
(12-10-2017, 09:49 AM)nkown Wrote:

The 8.25 Miles north of Sante Fe quote is actually from a post by Forrwst Fenn (sic) on the Mountainwalk blog. It is important to note that it was actually 66,000 links north of Sante Fe... and that it never said New Mexico.

In fact, I believe this is a very important clue having nothing to do with New Mexico... or even 'north' of Sante Fe.

Fenn has also used 8.25 miles in other quotes so I don't think it's important to note 66000 links.

If it's not Santa Fe New Mexico, which Santa Fe is it?

Santa Fe railroad?
12-10-2017, 05:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2017, 09:40 PM by John Brown.)

I was quoting something he said to me personally. He didn't say anything about 66,000 links. He said it was at least 8 1/4 miles north of the northern reaches of Santa Fe. I don't remember if he specified NM or not. He was certainly VERY strongly hinting more than 8 1/4 miles north of Santa Fe NM because he was discussing it in terms of the distance to Bandelier. I don't feel like digging up those old e-mails though. I posted them all in any event.

EDIT TO ADD: Actually I don't think he e-mailed me personally the 8.25 mile north of the northern reaches thing. He and I had a long go round about it and then he made a public clarification regarding the 8 1/4 miles north of Santa Fe. I think that's how it went.
12-14-2017, 12:04 PM,
(12-10-2017, 05:00 PM)John Brown Wrote:

I was quoting something he said to me personally. He didn't say anything about 66,000 links. He said it was at least 8 1/4 miles north of the northern reaches of Santa Fe. I don't remember if he specified NM or not. He was certainly VERY strongly hinting more than 8 1/4 miles north of Santa Fe NM because he was discussing it in terms of the distance to Bandelier. I don't feel like digging up those old e-mails though. I posted them all in any event.

EDIT TO ADD: Actually I don't think he e-mailed me personally the 8.25 mile north of the northern reaches thing. He and I had a long go round about it and then he made a public clarification regarding the 8 1/4 miles north of Santa Fe. I think that's how it went.

I remember him saying something about 271 degrees was northerly, which would make his statements (of which he has now made several) that it is more than 8+ miles outside of Santa Fe but not south of the Northern Boarder Santa Fe. (meaning if you go, to the northern boarder Santa Fe and draw lines out at 271degrees and 89 degrees then draw an arc with an 8.25 mile radius from the northern most point of Santa Fe the treasure is somewhere north of the lines and the arc. Which would include much of Bandolier.

Or am I still not getting it?
12-14-2017, 04:29 PM,
imo 8.25 miles north of santa fe ,is clue ,tc is 8.25 miles north,but cant anyone understand the power of a quarter ,the 8 is just as important
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Safety in the Mountains Shay 2 346 06-20-2019, 07:47 PM
Last Post: John Brown
  Blaze Mountains RichardGreen 8 717 01-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Last Post: RichardGreen
  a place somewhere in the mountains paulb 1 672 07-11-2018, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Halogetter
  At the Mountains of Madness..... knighterrant 9 5,696 08-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Last Post: knighterrant
  The Pirates of the Rocky Mountains JohnRicko 1 1,722 05-15-2016, 08:36 PM
Last Post: deb
  My church is in the mountains - I found it! Jack 13 8,899 03-16-2016, 10:09 AM
Last Post: astree