Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
decrypting the poem
01-25-2014, 05:50 AM,
decrypting the poem

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from John Brown on January 24, 2014, 2:39 pm</b>

What we've done is mapped all 3 letter symbol sequences to an integer between aaa = 3 and zzz= 24 and all 4 letter symbol sequences into integers between aaaa=4 and zzzz = 32
</div>

Minor quibble, but 's' = 19 = 1 + 9 = 10 which is the highest valued letter, so the integer ranges are 3-30 and 4-40.

(Edit: unless you're going infinitely recursive, then 1 + 9 = 10 = 1 + 0 = 1. In which case, 'r' = 18 = 1 + 8 = 9 is the highest)

In my opinion, D's in math or not, Fenn was smart enough not to do anything as boneheaded as that. Some people are doing stuff like this. It's doomed.
</div>

100% agreed. For roughly the same reason, I believe attempts to extract coordinates from the poem, book, or anything Mr. Fenn has said or written is doomed.

01-25-2014, 06:24 AM,
decrypting the poem

Consider hot and cold.

HOT COLD

8 15 20 3 15 12 4

which become 81520 and 315124.

Now we're going to sum the digits. For HOT we have: 8 + 1 + 5 + 2 + 0 = 16. FOr COLD we have: 3 + 1+5 + 1+2 + 4 = 16

OMG!!! HOT = COLD !!!

OMG! OMG! OMG! warm waters, the blaze, the cold! ITS ALL THE SAME!!! OMG! We've got it! We've cracked it! We'll be rich! We'll be famous!! Err. Maybe not.

What we've done is mapped all 3 letter symbol sequences to an integer between aaa = 3 and zzz= 24 and all 4 letter symbol sequences into integers between aaaa=4 and zzzz = 32 . Finding that HOT = COLD map to the same thing under such an extreme truncation should not be surprising.

In my opinion, D's in math or not, Fenn was smart enough not to do anything as boneheaded as that. Some people are doing stuff like this. It's doomed.
</div>

yes that would be boneheaded. so boneheaded in fact i dont think anyone would do that, contrary to your post that seems to suggest some are

just a simple adding of the letters as they are, at least might make some sense, as in COLD would be 3+15+12+4=34

your 'hypothetical' example essentially removes any possibility of determining unique and intentional placement versus coincidence

01-25-2014, 06:32 AM,
decrypting the poem

<b>Quote from ThrillChaser on January 25, 2014, 5:50 am</b>

<div class="bbcode_quote">
</div>

100% agreed. For roughly the same reason, I believe attempts to extract coordinates from the poem, book, or anything Mr. Fenn has said or written is doomed.</div>
</div>

first the example that you are agreeing with is a very poor example and does not come close to representing any theories i have read on this blog or others concerning letters/numbers clues in the poem

second, even if that point were conceded, which of course it is not, what does that have to do with whether or not F may have put coordinates in the poem.

you say, 'for roughly the same reason', but what reason do you mean? what reason has been provided to believe that coordinates can not be extracted from the poem? i dont see any reason provided by you or the previous comment to support what you're saying.

honestly, are you thinking through what you're typing before you type it?
01-25-2014, 08:57 AM,
decrypting the poem

<b>Quote from Nick Papagiorgio on January 25, 2014, 6:24 am</b>
<div class="bbcode_quote">

Consider hot and cold.

HOT COLD

8 15 20 3 15 12 4

which become 81520 and 315124.

Now we're going to sum the digits. For HOT we have: 8 + 1 + 5 + 2 + 0 = 16. FOr COLD we have: 3 + 1+5 + 1+2 + 4 = 16

OMG!!! HOT = COLD !!!

OMG! OMG! OMG! warm waters, the blaze, the cold! ITS ALL THE SAME!!! OMG! We've got it! We've cracked it! We'll be rich! We'll be famous!! Err. Maybe not.

What we've done is mapped all 3 letter symbol sequences to an integer between aaa = 3 and zzz= 24 and all 4 letter symbol sequences into integers between aaaa=4 and zzzz = 32 . Finding that HOT = COLD map to the same thing under such an extreme truncation should not be surprising.

</div>

yes that would be boneheaded. so boneheaded in fact i dont think anyone would do that, contrary to your post that seems to suggest some are

just a simple adding of the letters as they are, at least might make some sense, as in COLD would be 3+15+12+4=34

your 'hypothetical' example essentially removes any possibility of determining unique and intentional placement versus coincidence

</div>
</div>

I am not talking about what I think, but what I know. It generates specious correlations. I don't think anyone is doing anything as obvious as the example but people are doing things that contract information and being soothed by the specious correlations that emerge. The example was constructed to illustrate the problem.

Adding the letters has the same problem. There are 26^4=456976 4-letter sequences. If you add the letters you map those 456976 distinct sequences to the range 4-104.

You contract information. In fact if you keep going you'll get to 7 which is the same number you'd get to if you added the digits until you reached a single digit.
01-25-2014, 10:58 AM,
decrypting the poem

<b>Quote from mdavis19 on January 24, 2014, 10:02 pm</b>

I don't believe the poem is a cyphertext. It is clearly plaintext. So analysis of letter frequency and other cryptanalysis tools aren't going to help. The poem is a code of some sort, but it is not a cypher in the conventional sense.

mdavis19
</div>

I agree that is the most likely interpretation. I'm still playing around with some sort of embedded code, such as morse code, but even this would be difficult to embed in plain text without a lot of "crafting".
01-25-2014, 12:12 PM,
decrypting the poem

<b>Quote from Nick Papagiorgio on January 25, 2014, 6:32 am</b>

first the example that you are agreeing with is a very poor example and does not come close to representing any theories i have read on this blog or others concerning letters/numbers clues in the poem

second, even if that point were conceded, which of course it is not, what does that have to do with whether or not F may have put coordinates in the poem.

you say, 'for roughly the same reason', but what reason do you mean? what reason has been provided to believe that coordinates can not be extracted from the poem? i dont see any reason provided by you or the previous comment to support what you're saying.

honestly, are you thinking through what you're typing before you type it?
</div>

You sound like Chris Yates' alter ego. I didn't think through the previous sentence very thoroughly, just going off pattern recognition.
01-25-2014, 12:56 PM,
decrypting the poem
Mdavis19 said >>>>I don't believe the poem is a cyphertext. It is clearly plaintext. So analysis of letter frequency and other cryptanalysis tools aren't going to help. The poem is a code of some sort, but it is not a cypher in the conventional sense<<<<<.

I agree,

If the poem is a coded message , IMO their has to be a clue to a number or set of several numbers that you would apply to those occurances of a charater in the poem and only use those as a meaning or to make an anagram from....

As I have gone alone in there

Example of 1st sentance above only, using 9 and 24 :: there are only two letters resulting from the 9th letters and none from 24th, because there are only 23 letters in 1st line of poem so, 'o' and 'n' are the 2 letter retrieved from a 9 and 24 th occurance of just the first line. You would have to use all the lines, and then do you use the entire poem as the area to apply? meaning the 3 rd charc in this example would be the 24th letter, which is the capital 'A' in the 1st position of the second line. I haven't done this,,,,yet.

01-27-2014, 10:14 AM,
decrypting the poem
IMO, can a person find it if he/she knew the location within 300 square meters? Can the average person find it in 10 square meters if it is buried 3 foot deep? That's a large grave to dig. If it can't be stumbled upon on, then it's not in the open air anywhere. Can any seasoned treasure hunters tell me how they "Found the Treasure" in their previous searches? Are you employing same techniques here.
01-27-2014, 10:59 PM,
decrypting the poem
PL289, I guess people will still take metal detectors to National Parks and dig. Yea, I think he has put a lot of smarts into the poem. Maybe your spot will be It..
01-28-2014, 01:30 PM,
decrypting the poem
I believe There are way to have code in the poem... it would take only one word to be developed from the poem, that with the meaning of the poem would make a lite bulb go off over your head. ''

N O T I C E :::

WHAT do any of you think ff meant when he says, on page 13, " and all that Copperfield kind of crap" in conxtext to the subject or otherwise ? He says to look for the unusual for hints, could this be a cipher key word? Or maybe to plant the idea that mystic means and ciphers could be used? Or is he calling that idea crap?