Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let us play Canasta
01-20-2018, 06:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2018, 08:25 PM by knighterrant.)
Let us play Canasta
Since the chest is supposedly a fait accompli, we are going to play canasta. Or maybe we will play canasta two different ways. Maybe we will play a canasta rule variant. Maybe its not canasta at all. I remember playing cards with my grandmother at the kitchen table many years ago.

New searchers, you might find it interesting. I can't promise anything productive but you never know. I can guarantee you specificity, just not necessarily that we will learn anything useful.

In the case that we do find something of substance, I'm curious as to the reaction. Will we merely be hosed down with cold water, or will the thread disappear unto the void? Be advised, I very rarely if ever delete posts and will not delete this one.

So Fenn says (and these are paraphrases to a certain extent)

Start at WWH, its the first clue
Try to marry the clues to a location on the map
If you can't find WWWH you might as well stay home and play canasta.

Synonyms of marry - join, merge, fuse, connect, meld...etc.

Canasta is one of the Rummy family of games, Gin Rummy is probably the most well known. The objective is to improve your hand by forming MELDS and eliminating deadwood (deadwood are cards that do not fit into any meld). Some examples of melds would be 3 of a kind, i.e. 3 8's or a run of 3 consecutive cards like 6,7,8. These earn you points in the games scoring system.

When all the cards in your hand can be played at once (they all fit into melds) and you have no deadwood you may "GO GIN" by playing all of your cards on the table. You receive a scoring bonus and the round ends.

The first word "BEGIN" or "BE GIN" could allude to going GIN so lets play with letters instead of cards and see if we can GO GIN by ending up with only MELDS and some "ANSWER" or "CLUE".

We will eliminate BEGIN from the line as that is what we are being instructed to do. We have IT WHERE WARM WATERS HALT. Make a meld of 3 W's (WWW) remove, make a meld of 3 E's (EEE) remove, make a meld of 3 R's (RRR) remove, make a meld of 3 A's (AAA) remove, make a meld of 3 T's (TTT) and remove.

After making these melds we are left with the following letters:

i h m s h l

There happens to be a band named Canasta. One could 'play Canasta', in the sense of listening to their music. One of their songs is titled "Turn the map upside down". I am loathe to use this for various reasons but lets just turn those letters upside down.

Visually we get l y s w y ! (yes the first character was a lowercase L but its just interesting how it appears visually. Is it I Yellowstone, WY! Maybe 1 Yellowstone, WY !; maybe the l and i just bracket the yswy to highlight it?

Interesting coincidence? Did we go gin with the right answer? Will come back shortly and play another round doing things a bit differently.

Round 2

When considering the first clue BIWWH it makes one pause to wonder what IT is. Natural assumption is that it is your route to the treasure. Makes sense, but lets think of IT as a physical road, path, trail that already exists and that you are to BEGIN to follow one you know the starting location. The next line which starts with TAKE IT reinforces this idea, line one has told you what road it is and where on the road, line 2 says to take it somewhere.

So on this assumption lets leave IT out of our group of cards just like BEGIN.
We are trying to BE GIN (go gin) and finding IT which is something to BEGIN TAKING.

We start with WHERE WARM WATERS HALT. Make melds of sets of 3 W's, A's, E's and we are left with h r rm t r s h l t. Instead of pulling out that R meld lets take out a RST (remember Gin melds can be 3 consecutive cards).
Now which r to remove? I'm going to take out the RS which is next to each other and the T that follows them. We are left with h r rm t h l.

Doesn't seem too meaningful. HR could mean hour, in html its a horizontal rule or dividing line. A dividing line followed by RM which could stand for Rocky Mountains. A line dividing the Rocky Mountains? THL is an anagram for Tight Heavy Lid; basically means keep a lit on it, keep quiet. Abhor using a pop culture reference but I think I've heard those words somewhere.

Fenn saying Begin IT [at the] line dividing the Rocky Mountains [CD?]; and keep your mouth shut about it?

Seems a bit more disjointed and speculative than Round 1 but who knows. Perhaps mistakes were made in the interpretations or rules used to obtain the results? Maybe we can play again in another post. And remember to take time to play cards with your Grandma if you are lucky enough to have the opportunity.

01-20-2018, 07:51 PM,
RE: Let us play Canasta
Don’t forget the hot chocolate.
01-20-2018, 08:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2018, 08:53 PM by knighterrant.)
(01-20-2018, 07:45 PM)Anna Graham Wrote: you are overcomplicating it.

If you wish to contribute something of substance, by all means feel free. This is for new searchers, you aren't helping me out. I'm one of those lazy people who sits at home and snipes at Fenn from behind the computer. Big Grin

Keep your shining palaces, built upon the sand.
On the ugly stone, is where my house will stand. -ke

We can of course discuss more advanced concepts such as the bird in the nest in the moon, where that is; the power of a quarter, the (seemingly) stunning abdication of the king vis a vis the 10th clue. It's as if he just threw his hands up and said I'm done with this. I don't speculate publicly on these subjects personally for a few reasons, one of which is respect for particular searcher(s) who might be on track. I don't count you among that number but anything is possible.

In spite of everything that has transpired recently, my forecast for this year remains a multitude of crow dinners all around.

01-20-2018, 08:53 PM,
Blue Planet II premieres in 7 minutes on BBC America. No time for games! Lol.
Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
01-20-2018, 09:35 PM,
Let us play Canasta
I'm listening attentively. Thank you knight.
It's already put me back on track.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
01-20-2018, 09:52 PM,
That’s some good thinking. Whether it is right or not I don’t know. Creative nonetheless.
01-21-2018, 07:22 AM,
Okay, I’ve had time to read this now, and it follows along the lines of one of my theories, although the way I removed letters was different. I called it the “red letter theory,” where the 9 “no’s” in the poem tell you what lettters to take out.

Your way sounds just as good. But I think the method of how to remove letters would be found in the poem, or maybe in ttotc. He never forgets to say he was a fighter pilot that was shot down TWICE. However, was it cancer that shot him down a THIRD time?
Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
01-21-2018, 09:10 AM,
(01-20-2018, 06:38 PM)knighterrant Wrote: Since the chest is supposedly a fait accompli, we are going to play canasta. Or maybe we will play canasta two different ways. Maybe we will play a canasta rule variant. Maybe its not canasta at all. I remember playing cards with my grandmother at the kitchen table many years ago.

New searchers, you might find it interesting. I can't promise anything productive but you never know. I can guarantee you specificity, just not necessarily that we will learn anything useful.

In the case that we do find something of substance, I'm curious as to the reaction. Will we merely be hosed down with cold water, or will the thread disappear unto the void? Be advised, I very rarely if ever delete posts and will not delete this one.

So Fenn says (and these are paraphrases to a certain extent)

Start at WWH, its the first clue
Try to marry the clues to a location on the map
If you can't find WWWH you might as well stay home and play canasta.

Synonyms of marry - join, merge, fuse, connect, meld...etc.

Canasta is one of the Rummy family of games, Gin Rummy is probably the most well known. The objective is to improve your hand by forming MELDS and eliminating deadwood (deadwood are cards that do not fit into any meld). Some examples of melds would be 3 of a kind, i.e. 3 8's or a run of 3 consecutive cards like 6,7,8. These earn you points in the games scoring system.

When all the cards in your hand can be played at once (they all fit into melds) and you have no deadwood you may "GO GIN" by playing all of your cards on the table. You receive a scoring bonus and the round ends.

The first word "BEGIN" or "BE GIN" could allude to going GIN so lets play with letters instead of cards and see if we can GO GIN by ending up with only MELDS and some "ANSWER" or "CLUE".

We will eliminate BEGIN from the line as that is what we are being instructed to do. We have IT WHERE WARM WATERS HALT. Make a meld of 3 W's (WWW) remove, make a meld of 3 E's (EEE) remove, make a meld of 3 R's (RRR) remove, make a meld of 3 A's (AAA) remove, make a meld of 3 T's (TTT) and remove.

After making these melds we are left with the following letters:

i h m s h l

There happens to be a band named Canasta. One could 'play Canasta', in the sense of listening to their music. One of their songs is titled "Turn the map upside down". I am loathe to use this for various reasons but lets just turn those letters upside down.

Visually we get l y s w y ! (yes the first character was a lowercase L but its just interesting how it appears visually. Is it I Yellowstone, WY! Maybe 1 Yellowstone, WY !; maybe the l and i just bracket the yswy to highlight it?

Interesting coincidence? Did we go gin with the right answer? Will come back shortly and play another round doing things a bit differently.

Round 2

When considering the first clue BIWWH it makes one pause to wonder what IT is. Natural assumption is that it is your route to the treasure. Makes sense, but lets think of IT as a physical road, path, trail that already exists and that you are to BEGIN to follow one you know the starting location. The next line which starts with TAKE IT reinforces this idea, line one has told you what road it is and where on the road, line 2 says to take it somewhere.

So on this assumption lets leave IT out of our group of cards just like BEGIN.
We are trying to BE GIN (go gin) and finding IT which is something to BEGIN TAKING.

We start with WHERE WARM WATERS HALT. Make melds of sets of 3 W's, A's, E's and we are left with h r rm t r s h l t. Instead of pulling out that R meld lets take out a RST (remember Gin melds can be 3 consecutive cards).
Now which r to remove? I'm going to take out the RS which is next to each other and the T that follows them. We are left with h r rm t h l.

Doesn't seem too meaningful. HR could mean hour, in html its a horizontal rule or dividing line. A dividing line followed by RM which could stand for Rocky Mountains. A line dividing the Rocky Mountains? THL is an anagram for Tight Heavy Lid; basically means keep a lit on it, keep quiet. Abhor using a pop culture reference but I think I've heard those words somewhere.

Fenn saying Begin IT [at the] line dividing the Rocky Mountains [CD?]; and keep your mouth shut about it?

Seems a bit more disjointed and speculative than Round 1 but who knows. Perhaps mistakes were made in the interpretations or rules used to obtain the results? Maybe we can play again in another post. And remember to take time to play cards with your Grandma if you are lucky enough to have the opportunity.

in canasta,you can freeze the pile of cards ,worth the cold,but aha how it fits into a good solve crucial
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
01-21-2018, 09:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2018, 09:53 PM by Chmaanta.)
I think this is an excellent post and I commend you on putting forth a well developed theory. Maybe I like it just a little more because it dovetails nicely with what I've been pondering on.

In my version, you're looking for two things that are saying the same thing and they "meld" into one. For instance, Forrest hiding behind the trees so the cars can't splash him and hiding behind the trees to eat the pie. The "play" there is the saying "Can't see the Forrest through the trees". In the same chapter, he talks about how his perception of his newspaper boss changed. He also mentions that the sun went behind clouds. The "play" or "meld" is the saying "Seeing things in a new light".

There are quite a few of these types of things in the book.

I admit to not having thought of a "run" before and I think that's quite intriguing.

I also remember there was an answer from Forrest once on Jenny's site. I noticed there were a lot of repeated letters. When I "melded" them out I was left with letters that anagrammed to "Huey Pilot". That didn't make much sense. I later learned that he went to helicopter pilot school, probably in Wyoming. Why Huey pilot should mean anything isn't clear other than maybe it's a way to demonstrate that the method actually does work.

Best of luck to you and thank you for (what I think is) a good contribution.

P.S. On the gin theme. Before I knew anything about Canasta or Gin, I tried anagramming that scrapbook "No nude standing; they're watching". I broke that up into two sets separated by the semicolon. Then broke those up into groups of 7. Then anagrammed each of those to get clues. I ended up with

SEND NOUN, GNAT DIN; EYEWTH, GIN CHAT

I treated those as crossword style clues and got "SHIP", "BUZZ"; "ID", and "DEADWOOD". i.e. the word SHIP is a noun that also means to send things, a gnat buzzes. EYE, WT, and H are the eye color, weight, and height abbreviations on a driver's license. And I figured, from my limited knowledge of gin, that Deadwood was something gin players talked about.

Anyhow, Buzz Aldrin's ship was Eagle. I ended up with Eagle, ID and Deadwood. If you look up Eagle, Idaho it's a real place. And there's a street named "Deadwood". And the street immediately north of it is named "West Yellowstone".

What are the odds, right?

Anyhow, it turns out I used an extra "N" so the Eagle part falls apart. The gin chat and ID seem solid, though.

Figured I'd throw it out there as another gin-type reference. Maybe someone else will have an insight on this tangent.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mongo come out & play 5GIRLS 5 828 06-27-2019, 02:33 PM
Last Post: 5GIRLS
  A few Predictions about how the chase will play out mdavis19 75 32,923 02-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Last Post: JoeBad
  Stay home and play Canasta...WTFBBQ? romeofoxtrot 11 4,346 07-25-2016, 05:39 PM
Last Post: romeofoxtrot
  Childs Play Hammertime 1 1,370 06-26-2016, 09:53 AM
Last Post: horsethief