Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a little help from my friends, please
01-22-2018, 03:10 AM,
a little help from my friends, please
I have lost the site I need. I was able to type in a word or string of words, and a complete list of where ff wrote or spoke it came up. One of you went to all that trouble for us, and I have misplaced it. Makes me wonder bout myself.
Thank you !!!
01-22-2018, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2018, 09:24 AM by 5GIRLS.)
RE: a little help from my friends, please
Thank you Chris. This is great site, but I was thinking I remembered a site with TTOTC on it? Other searchers have been kind and helped me in the past, but things keep popping up and I feel bad to keep asking others for this.
01-22-2018, 11:05 AM,
(01-22-2018, 09:14 AM)5GIRLS Wrote: Thank you Chris. This is great site, but I was thinking I remembered a site with TTOTC on it? Other searchers have been kind and helped me in the past, but things keep popping up and I feel bad to keep asking others for this.

Are you thinking of Mike's site:

TTOTC.com

?
01-22-2018, 12:46 PM,
I like http://www.tarryscant.com a lot. In fact I like it so much I'm halfway inclined to give the guy who made it $5 or so for the service. However, it doesn't always provide a reference to when and where something was said. Sometimes it links to the document that IllinoisGhost created for example, or to Dal's cheatsheet, etc.

You can also find stuff right here on chase chat. Recently I saw where someone was claiming that the 500' comment was only made in the last year and came after the 200' comment. In response someone used chasechat to find a 2013 video where he said that (thus disproving the false claim).

If you use tarryscant and go to the source material (and find it is secondary rather than primary) you can usually cut and paste it into google to find the original source which is what I always want. But like I said, don't sell the chasechat search tool short.
01-22-2018, 12:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2018, 01:02 PM by 5GIRLS.)
Agree with all this. All the search tools are great. What I need is a search that will tell me, for example: what pages can I find the word "Smell" in TTOTC? I think tyounis offered this service for a short while on this site
01-22-2018, 01:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2018, 01:54 PM by John Brown.)
(01-22-2018, 12:59 PM)5GIRLS Wrote: Agree with all this. All the search tools are great. What I need is a search that will tell me, for example: what pages can I find the word "Smell" in TTOTC? I think tyounis offered this service for a short while on this site

What you should do is the following:
(1)Scan the entire book into a pdf
(2) run OCR (optical character recognition) on the resulting PDF.
(3)correct the OCR because it won't be perfect. I typed in the text from the figure captions, etc by hand

The above (1-3) produce an ASCI file which you can open with any vanilla text editor.
I use the unix command "grep" to find the words in the text.

Below I show what I get for "important". This one is more illuminating than the return for "smell" because it has a chapter title and a figure caption. It also has "IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEGE" which was in all caps on page 138.

This is the long-winded version of (1-3) above.

This doesn't give the page number but it generally adequate for my needs. Doing this requires a time investment. First you have to scan the book into a pdf which will probably take two hours at a copy place. If you have a decent scanner you can do it at home. Don't know how long that will take, but you can go one chapter at a time and then stitch them all together at the end if you want. Once you've got a PDF you need to run OCR on it. If you don't have access to Adobe PRO I expect you can find some free software that will do the optical character recognition. I think Adobe will work best because the book is written in an Adobe font. I suspect there's a way to interpret the sideways text but I didn't try. I dealt with that by hand. Once you've run OCR you have to deal with all the errors. Adobe uniformly misinterpreted "Fenn" as "Penn" so I did a global change in the text file from "Penn" to "Fenn". After the errors you need to get the stuff that Adobe simply couldn't handle, the figure captions, and the arching text etc. There might be a more automated way to handle that than what I did. After the scanning, and the OCR, and the initial corrections I went through the book by hand and converted all the Figure Captions and the sideways text and the stuff in big arcs across the pages, etc. I probably spent 5-10 hours doing this. The biggest time investment was dithering about how much time to spend on it. I didn't want to do it but once I decided to type stuff in by hand it didn't take that long and wasn't so bad. I sat there with the book and my computer and just went through chapter by chapter and figure by figure. Of course, if you have just a searchable PDF you can go through word by word and find most of them but you'll probably still have problems with the sideways words and figure captions.

grep -i important ttotc_text.txt

THE above command is issued from the unix command line from a "terminal" on a Macintosh. If you're using Windows you'll have to find the commands yourself, but they should be available. The -i is an option that tells grep to ignore case. Now this isn't perfect because if you ask for something like "nation" it will return "imagination" since "imagination" contains "nation". There are work-arounds for that but they're better left for some other time.

OUTPUT FROM the command: grep -i important ttotc_text.txt

younger, but I don't care anyway. Over the years more important things
important at the time that I get there.
something important, and he said it to me out of the blue. He was
told me things. Sometimes he would ask me a really important
CHAPTER: IMPORTANT LITERATURE
great books that were written by really important writers, those guys
couldn't figure out how he could be such an important writer
book. One was because I always had other important things to do, and
important; my self confidence was really down at the bottom. A kid I
important than knowledge," and I had a lot of that, imagination I
really important stuff about when I was a kid and doing different
other important things were building up in my mind. I had so many
My dad was sitting at his desk doing something very important
his own way. As it was important to be honest with the situation,
the horse I mean. He said that he had important things to do in town
time, we were both important to ourselves in our own way, and for the
that seemed less and less important as we clawed for altitude.
That innocuous incident made me wonder how important an
wonderfully conjectures that the body in which it resides is important.
how important those things were to me at the time, they later added
that took me years to sort out. Both incidents are important only
myself only to me. Does that make sense? So, to be important I only
thumbnail, to show me that each one is as important as the all, myself
I succeed in this endeavor is not as important as it is for me to make
arrives to let her know your time with her is important. Silence can
Gilbert Stuart. It was an important painting and the class could
were important.
can be so important in our lives. For example, do you know how
important and I'm richer for it.
IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEGE.
Figure Caption: Imagination is more important than knowlege.
important to me that I dared to be myself Today I live my life
with a lasting sting. And what I've learned that's most important
01-22-2018, 02:41 PM,
(01-22-2018, 01:46 PM)John Brown Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 12:59 PM)5GIRLS Wrote: Agree with all this. All the search tools are great. What I need is a search that will tell me, for example: what pages can I find the word "Smell" in TTOTC? I think tyounis offered this service for a short while on this site

What you should do is the following:
(1)Scan the entire book into a pdf
(2) run OCR (optical character recognition) on the resulting PDF.
(3)correct the OCR because it won't be perfect. I typed in the text from the figure captions, etc by hand

I recommend everyone do this! It was one of the first things i did entering the chase in 2014. Though correcting the errors can be time consuming and a bit of a headache, its totally worth it!
01-23-2018, 12:06 AM,
Oh to be computer literate and own a scanner . John you are truly amazing,and so are the rest of u.
01-23-2018, 06:17 PM,
(01-23-2018, 12:06 AM)5GIRLS Wrote: Oh to be computer literate and own a scanner . John you are truly amazing,and so are the rest of u.

I bought a very good Epson scanner for $35 off Craig's list.

Re: computer literacy

Try to get a PDF. Adobe charges for Adobe PRO. You can get a license for $25 for one month. I had access to Adobe Pro and used it.

You can upload the pdf file into google docs and run the OCR on it. It doesn't take any great skills or knowledge and it's free.

These guys give instructions on several different ways of doing it:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-free-ocr...documents/

If you can get the PDF and send it to me I will run it through google docs OCR for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digging A friends Grave Copper 17 4,673 12-12-2017, 07:22 AM
Last Post: easternOHsteve
  A Little Help For My Friends Beavertooth 1 1,343 09-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Last Post: boomergirl
  Regards making friends drmindellamosk 1 1,011 11-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Mindy
  Friends Connection? woneyedwilly 24 12,440 10-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Last Post: woneyedwilly
  Friends of Forrest or Celebrities looking for the Chest?? glock20 3 3,374 09-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Midlifehnter
  Friends of Fenn as Keys true north 5 2,774 12-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Tim Nobody