Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Thoughts and Beowulf
01-23-2018, 11:15 AM,
Random Thoughts and Beowulf
So, I was thinking about the poem and the “word that is key” on the drive home, and despite the many objections, I still can’t let go of some anagram possibilities. In particular, the line:

“Put in below the home of Brown,” because it’s short, and a stand-alone sentence.

So, I thought…hmmm…that line actually contains “poem,” so:
Hut in below the poem of Brown…
But in the low poem beofhrown…
Tho’ in the poem Beowulf brown…
Beowulf…Brown…

TRANSLATING A NAME
Most scholars of Old English agree that Beowulf is an Old English term which would be “Bee-Wolf” in modern English. If that’s true, the term is a “kenning”: a sort of riddling wordplay for the reader. So what is a bee-wolf? The answer is likely to be some kind of animal which acts like a hungry wolf even when faced with bees.

Sweet (1876) was the first to argue that a bee-wolf is probably actually a brown bear (U. arctos). Bears in modern European folklore are notoriously fond of honey, and will attack bee hives ignoring the stings to get at the honey found inside. They are also popular comparisons for heros. One of the common Old English terms for a warrior or lord is ‘beorn’ a word cognate with the Norse bjorn (a bear). This remains the most popular explanation to this day.

In addition, the Beowulf manuscript includes a text, “The Marvels of the East”

But tarry scant with MARVEL gaze...

And, didn’t (doesn’t) Fenn have a pet named Beowulf?
-Barbara

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Thoughts with Chris Handey Chris Yates 570 290,138 02-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Last Post: astree
Big Grin Forrest Fenn Random Words/Questions Bet 21 7,740 06-28-2018, 05:54 PM
Last Post: DeeepThnkr
  Just Random Notes, I think Mindy 0 745 04-17-2018, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Mindy
  Random Marble Stuff Chmaanta 3 1,396 03-19-2017, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Indy
  Random Words 1/27/17 decall 34 16,614 01-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Last Post: RahRah
  Random Sage Stuff Chmaanta 1 1,677 05-06-2016, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Indy