Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear I Carry
02-01-2014, 08:57 PM,
Gear I Carry
Great post. Very wise. I'm going to add some of these things to my kit for sure. I especially like the LifeStraws.
02-02-2014, 07:33 AM,
Gear I Carry
Great post. Very wise. I'm going to add some of these things to my kit for sure. I especially like the LifeStraws.
02-02-2014, 08:03 AM,
Gear I Carry

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Milan on February 2, 2014, 7:33 am</b>

</div>

Satan sells the LifeStraws for a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QF3TW4/ref=...25410_item
02-02-2014, 08:07 AM,
Gear I Carry
The LifeStraws look great. I may have to get a couple just to keep for emergencies. (like Florida hurricanes)

Thanks!
02-02-2014, 10:27 AM,
Gear I Carry
Great post Desertphile. I carry many similar items. Most of the time I am not far from a road so I have less survival stuff and more emergency stuff on those occasions. I guess what I am saying is I try to be prepaired for the worst... depending on where I am going. The best parts of your post is all the little additions and 'improvements' to your equipment. I do the same... I take after my grandpa in the ability to take something and make it better/more useful. I gotta pick your brain more.
02-02-2014, 12:16 PM,
Gear I Carry

<b>Quote from timberwolf on February 2, 2014, 10:27 am</b>

Great post Desertphile. I carry many similar items. Most of the time I am not far from a road so I have less survival stuff and more emergency stuff on those occasions. I guess what I am saying is I try to be prepaired for the worst... depending on where I am going. The best parts of your post is all the little additions and 'improvements' to your equipment. I do the same... I take after my grandpa in the ability to take something and make it better/more useful. I gotta pick your brain more.
</div>

Thank you. It's often annoying to discover that a quality product will also come with a poor carrying case or sheath. If a corner is merely sewn, I like to add a rivet or two.

In your grandfather's time, products that were not built well were not purchased: customers would never stand for it. My Grandfather Riavic received his wood-working tools from his father, who received them in turn from his father (for example): the new tools one buys off the shelf these days are pretty much all crap. Like hatchets with pine wood handles--- utter garbage.
02-02-2014, 01:03 PM,
Gear I Carry
I know nothing except what I read, I would add some plastic sheeting or garbage bag in case you cant find water and have to make a condensation tent thingy. It doesnt weigh much and can also be used to repel water.
Shhh they aren't listening.
02-02-2014, 01:27 PM,
Gear I Carry
Good info and particularly on the water filters.

Stuff I always carry no matter what:

Emergency blanket (the "space age", I believe mylar, variant), lightweight, small.

Very lightweight plastic mirror for signaling.

Whistle around my neck. I have one with a built-in compass.

A first aid kit including a small assortment of bandaids, disinfectant wipes, moleskin, and a couple safety pins.

2-liter Camelbak. I know these are less rugged and more prone to leakage/failure than a good Nalgene bottle, but the convenience of sipping water from a hose without stopping to break is just too great of an advantage. Having backup water and/or bottle and/or a second empty bladder is a great idea. My bladder fits it's own little standalone "mini-pack" that has shoulder straps and chest and waist straps, and tiny bit of zipped storage space in the back. The mini-pack is small enough to fit into the water bladder sleeve of a typical modern backpack. So if I get to a place where my full pack is to heavy or inconvenient to carry (say, I want to climb a steep slope to check out a cave above), I can dump full pack, and take the water-bladder pack with whatever is necessary: protein bar, knife, rain-gear. It's worth noting that I always buy the Camelbak brand (and always Nalgene bottles, for that matter). Water storage containers is not the place to skimp.

02-02-2014, 01:29 PM,
Gear I Carry
@Desertphile: Great post………Don’t forget your P-51 or P-38. What I carry varies depending on where I’m going……but the basics never change.

If you are putting together a kit make sure to use it before you go;…..make sure you know how to use it (you don’t want to be reading directions in an emergency) and make sure the item actually works. That’s every item; if you can’t survive in your back yard you don’t have a chance in the wilderness.

The magnesium starters are great to have, steal wool (no soap) works great also (keep in a dry container).

I tell folks to layer their gear; If I have my truck I can last a very long time (some might call it a vacation Smile ), if I have my backpack I could last a while in relative comfort, but I always carry enough on my person to give me a good chance of survival.

And last but not least be prepared to protect yourself……
02-02-2014, 08:34 PM,
Gear I Carry

<b>Quote from mountain digger on February 2, 2014, 1:35 pm</b>

Is it just me or is there really an elephant in this thread? Thought thrillchaser was going to bring it up with "I can dump..." but no, so I'll just add that I like the brand with aloe!
</div>

[Image: i8g3z-No-Dumping-Sign-K-7109.gif]