Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear I Carry
02-03-2014, 11:17 AM,
Gear I Carry

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Desertphile on February 2, 2014, 12:16 pm</b>

<b></b>

Thank you. It's often annoying to discover that a quality product will also come with a poor carrying case or sheath. If a corner is merely sewn, I like to add a rivet or two.

In your grandfather's time, products that were not built well were not purchased: customers would never stand for it. My Grandfather Riavic received his wood-working tools from his father, who received them in turn from his father (for example): the new tools one buys off the shelf these days are pretty much all crap. Like hatchets with pine wood handles--- utter garbage.
</div>

<b></b>

Desertphile,

I agree. Stuff today is mostly garbage and we need to make them better after purchase. I try real hard to find and purchase quality stuff but that is getting much harder these days and sometimes my wallet is too thin. My grandfather made many of his tools. The rest he indeed got from his father. Rarely did he purchase. Grandpa would sometimes purchase a tool and would 'improve' it into a special tool. Sometimes he invented the special tool or would build his own because it was too expensive to purchase. Often he made his own because it was better and many times he would make a new tool out of a broken tool or a tool someone discarded. For example, he made a long hard steel punch/pin tool from an old Mack transmission shift lever. That was passed on to me. As well as his own puller from scrap steel. He, like you and I are blessed with the knack to invent improvements. I used to have many of his hand-made and improved tools... until someone decided they needed them more than I did.... I'll be doing life if I ever meet up with that joker...

Whenever I go to a yard sale or swap meet, I grab as many of the old tools I can find... or afford.
02-09-2014, 10:36 AM,
Gear I Carry
Desertphile,

Some really interesting articles you carry. I carry a 406 Personal Locator Beacon and an Iridium based Solaradata Field Tracker 2100, so help will be on the way within 5 minutes of activation anywhere in the world. Those magnesium strikers are excellent. When I went through Air Force survival school, I prided my self on being able to start a fire with just navel lint!

The Wolf
02-09-2014, 12:51 PM,
Gear I Carry

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from The Wolf on February 9, 2014, 10:36 am</b>

Desertphile,

Some really interesting articles you carry. I carry a 406 Personal Locator Beacon and an Iridium based Solaradata Filed tracker 2100, so help will be on the way within 5 minutes of activation anywhere in the world. Those magnesium strikers are excellent. When I went through Air Force survival school, I prided my self on being able to start a fire with just navel lint!

The Wolf
</div>

I know who pays for SATELLITE CALL, but who pays for the HELECOPTER they send after your EPIRB ? Big Grin

I would hate to get a $BILL$ from the MILITARY... or LIFESTAR for that ride out... Big Grin

I guess the $BILL$ would be better than being "COUGAR KIBBLE" or "VULTURE LEAVINGS"... 8O

Big Grin
02-09-2014, 08:06 PM,
Gear I Carry
SantaFe - it is free for 406 technology even if a helo is required. It is not an EPIRB (water use) it is a PLB (land use). However it is up to the State to decide how they will respond. In Canada it is always free unless you are purposely negligent and cause a purposeful false alarm.
05-15-2014, 11:39 AM,
Gear I Carry
Goofy is right, don't forget the gun ! Bow will suffice if you are proficient with it. But not for bears or mountain lions, and hardly good against a pack of hungry wolves or ferrule dog packs.

I have similar pack with Desertphile, except my hatchet has hammer face for pounding homemade stakes for shelter on the back side. A hatchet, knife, and cordage, is paramount for survival anywhere. In addition I carry fishing tackle, minimal amount. Mosquito spray, and three ways to make fire in case you lose one. I carry cotton balls soaked with vaseline to get it going, magnifying glass and friction fire starter tube with dryer lint I save, works great. Cigars, big blunts, to carry fire over great distance when no available wood is handy nearby, and it is raining for long periods. Fire bundle they call it. I suggest everyone learn to make fire with bow and string method and available wood, you can do that almost anywhere in a pinch. It is not that hard at all once you figure it out, the concept behind it. Google youtube videos for best ways to learn, then actually do it.

Best advice, is study plants and know the ones that are good to eat if you really want to live. Learn to eat the creepy crawlies too like earthworms and grasshoppers. and lastly, never go in the wild without knowing how to make snares and traps. It's easy if you just study and try it. The most important tool you have is your mind, be aware and pay attention to everything out there. Game trails are easy to spot if you know what to look for. Use them for your trap settings and you will not starve.

Don't go alone if you can help it, or let someone know where you are going and when you will be back. Even a dog is better than going alone. At least you have someone to talk too....heh heh....
02-21-2019, 03:10 PM,
RE: Gear I Carry
(02-02-2014, 08:03 AM)Desertphile Wrote: <div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Milan on February 2, 2014, 7:33 am</b>

Great post. Very wise. I'm going to add some of these things to my kit for sure. I especially like the LifeStraws.
</div>

Satan sells the LifeStraws for a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QF3TW4/ref=...25410_item

Bumping for safety. Check the expiration date on your lifestraws. Some of those things had a five year shelf life.