Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Wrong Place
03-16-2018, 03:49 PM,
The Wrong Place
IMHO the person who finds the TC will be able to explain how ff could toss a bike into the water high and why his car's at the Denver museum. If you can't do that I think you need a new spot.
03-16-2018, 05:09 PM,
RE: The Wrong Place
are you saying you can explain that?

Cruiser likes Mustard FJ40's, do you?
03-16-2018, 10:48 PM,
(03-16-2018, 03:49 PM)Buddy Allen Wrote: IMHO the person who finds the TC will be able to explain how ff could toss a bike into the water high and why his car's at the Denver museum. If you can't do that I think you need a new spot.

I argued with myself on replying to this, because I feel it is a dignified response for the sole purpose of an old man's amusement. Here it goes anyway:

Where did you hear Fenn could toss a bike into "the water high and why his car's at the Denver museum"? Please cite where it came from. As people say in my time: Pics or it didn't happen.
HTTP 404 File Not Found
03-16-2018, 11:53 PM,
(03-16-2018, 10:48 PM)Circus_Maximus Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 03:49 PM)Buddy Allen Wrote: IMHO the person who finds the TC will be able to explain how ff could toss a bike into the water high and why his car's at the Denver museum. If you can't do that I think you need a new spot.

I argued with myself on replying to this, because I feel it is a dignified response for the sole purpose of an old man's amusement. Here it goes anyway:

Where did you hear Fenn could toss a bike into "the water high and why his car's at the Denver museum"? Please cite where it came from. As people say in my time: Pics or it didn't happen.

The Denver Museum comment was a quote that Douglas Preston put in the foreward to Forrest's new book "Once Upon A While": "The final clue, he [Forrest] said, would be where they found his car: in the parking lot of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science." Note that this contradicts an earlier Preston quote where he said that Forrest said the car would be found in the parking lot of an Arizona University. Also note, this topic has been discussed at great length in a number of threads in this forum. So I assume when you say that you are an old man, I am thinking Rip Van Winkle.

The Fenn quote about throwing the bicycle in the water high:

From Dal Neitzel's website Forrest Gets Mail #2 (10/3/2012):
"What is wrong with me just riding my bike out there and throwing it in the “water high” when I am through with it?" -- from Forrest's response to the second piece of mail in that section. He was probably being facetious.

A lot of these can be found through Google, or through tarryscant.com (never used that site myself, however).

Your handle "Circus Maximus is interesting. Do you use it as part of your solves?
03-17-2018, 03:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-17-2018, 04:01 AM by Buddy Allen.)
Rainbow  RE: The Wrong Place
(03-16-2018, 05:09 PM)93cruiser Wrote: are you saying you can explain that?

Both of those make perfect sense and confirm my solve. Along with OUAW. He's doing his best to pitch in.

Believe it or not I threw my bike in the Danube river once about 30 years ago.
03-17-2018, 01:35 PM,
The Wrong Place

Agreed
If the searcher can’t explain every word for detail and explains how their search revolves around the poem isn’t in the right location imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-21-2018, 12:51 AM,
(03-16-2018, 11:53 PM)Beavertooth Wrote: The Denver Museum comment was a quote that Douglas Preston put in the foreward to Forrest's new book "Once Upon A While": "The final clue, he [Forrest] said, would be where they found his car: in the parking lot of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science." Note that this contradicts an earlier Preston quote where he said that Forrest said the car would be found in the parking lot of an Arizona University. Also note, this topic has been discussed at great length in a number of threads in this forum. So I assume when you say that you are an old man, I am thinking Rip Van Winkle.

"What is wrong with me just riding my bike out there and throwing it in the “water high” when I am through with it?" -- from Forrest's response to the second piece of mail in that section. He was probably being facetious.

A lot of these can be found through Google, or through tarryscant.com (never used that site myself, however).

Your handle "Circus Maximus is interesting. Do you use it as part of your solves?

I wouldn't trust Douglas Preston if he makes contradicting quotes. Unless it came from Fenn on video I wouldn't believe it - and that includes the bike at The Denver Museum of Nature and Science. I've been to that museum, but it wasn't Fenn-related. If you want to give one-sided legitimacy to contradicting quotes then you do that to your own detriment.

You already have doubts with Fenn being facetious about "throwing it in the 'water high' when I am through with it (the date posted was on October 2, 2012, by the way). I'm not an old man. My handle has nothing to do with my solve.
HTTP 404 File Not Found
03-21-2018, 06:27 AM,

I choose to let the poem tell me where to go. I use a very small number of additional pieces of information from TTOTC and post-TTOTC comments from Forrest, but this information is used specifically for confirmation of a poem-based solution. I pay zero attention to comments made by persons other than F (even if F happens to be present when the comment is made) and, when self-proclaimed reporters "quote" F, I remain very skeptical.

FWIW, when they're not expressing an obvious opinion, I happen to believe Dal and Jenny are trustworthy sources of information coming directly from F. I also believe the "toss it [his bike] in the water high" comment is of value but, again, in a confirmatory sense. IMO, the context of the conversation in which the 'bike/water high' comment was given is also important to consider as it is in most, if not all, of F's comments.

When searching, always err on the side of safety. Know before you go - good luck to all.
OO
03-23-2018, 11:42 AM,
Those are both easy (the bike in water and Denver Museum). You could fit those to any number of solves. For example, you can toss a bike into any creek. And if it is his jockstrap, as someone suggested, he could toss that virtually anywhere. Likewise, there are many things at the Museum that could be used to confirm practically any solve.

There are other, more strict criteria though. For instance, there are the 200/500 foot comments. I think those comments sunk my solve.
03-23-2018, 03:08 PM,
(03-21-2018, 12:51 AM)Circus_Maximus Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 11:53 PM)Beavertooth Wrote: The Denver Museum comment was a quote that Douglas Preston put in the foreward to Forrest's new book "Once Upon A While": "The final clue, he [Forrest] said, would be where they found his car: in the parking lot of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science." Note that this contradicts an earlier Preston quote where he said that Forrest said the car would be found in the parking lot of an Arizona University. Also note, this topic has been discussed at great length in a number of threads in this forum. So I assume when you say that you are an old man, I am thinking Rip Van Winkle.

I wouldn't trust Douglas Preston if he makes contradicting quotes. Unless it came from Fenn on video I wouldn't believe it - and that includes the bike at The Denver Museum of Nature and Science. I've been to that museum, but it wasn't Fenn-related. If you want to give one-sided legitimacy to contradicting quotes then you do that to your own detriment.

You already have doubts with Fenn being facetious about "throwing it in the 'water high' when I am through with it (the date posted was on October 2, 2012, by the way). I'm not an old man. My handle has nothing to do with my solve.

What, no "thank you" for providing the source material? Just a snotty comment "If you want to give one-sided legitimacy to contradicting quotes then you do that to your own detriment." I didn't think I was giving it any legitimacy, just trying to be helpful. Note that I am not the poster that you challenged with your statement "Pics or it didn't happen." That was Buddy Allen.

Sorry that I thought you referenced yourself as an old man. My bad for misunderstanding your post. It won't happen again, because in future I will not try to help you out with any information that you may have missed over the past 7+ years.

Good luck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  we are doing it wrong zombiecupkake 1 520 01-30-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: crazyfamily
  If there is nothing worse than facts written wrong... crazyfamily 5 1,630 07-17-2018, 05:53 AM
Last Post: Mindy
  Driving down a wrong way street. mikemarcum878 0 548 07-07-2018, 08:00 AM
Last Post: mikemarcum878
  Now tell me what's wrong with this picture? Help me out here. Gordon Lightfoot 3 1,513 05-25-2017, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Goldway
  And Donnie had something really wrong with him... Mindy 13 7,696 01-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Last Post: geydelkon
  Mdavis is wrong romeofoxtrot 14 8,358 07-20-2016, 12:07 AM
Last Post: romeofoxtrot